Minelab Explorer II worth it?

bearbqd

Elite Member
Does anyone use a MineLab Explorer II? I'm considering getting one of these because of the rave reviews I have been reading about it? Is it as top of the line as they say? Worth the $1,200.00 purchase price?

I think that this is the best detector on the market albeit a tougher one to master. They go deep and are very sensative. Pinpointing can be tough when compared to other detectors in this catagory but with a little practice and patience you'll get the hang of it in no time. Worth it (price wise) is in the eye of the beholder but I feel that it is worth the price considering how it will open up the sites you hunt to more and better finds. Until January 31 you can still get the Xmas package. i took it off my site but its still available till then. Let me know if you need any more help inyour decision.

I've had mine for about a month and I feel it was worth the money. Yes, I'm having the same long learning curve as most other new users but it gets better each day. Something that is not mentioned much but I've noticed is that the EXP II is very good at indentifying a good target next, under or on top of iron or trash. I have no problem pinpointing most of the time. It's not too heavy for me either and I'm 62. There is a LOT of help for this machine on the various forums. Good Luck - - - -

I do not regret my choice in purchasing my Explorer II in any way!!!!
It is not a perfect machine, but no one makes that as of this time.
It does more than make up for its weaknesses with its overwhelming strong points.

The fallacies: The learning curve is not nearly the beast that I expected it to be from what I had read in several forums. It is probably 1/10th of what I expected. It is a very good detector when used in the Quickstart (factory) mode right out of the box. The advanced mode can be approached at your own pace on an as needed basis. The reason for the open ended programming is to provide the "optimum" under any conditions. The new DVD makes understanding the machine even easier.

The weight is a balance issue. Yes it is heavier, but many forget that this detector was designed to be used with the coil TOUCHING the ground, thus alleviating the weight. I have never gotten tired or sore. I am 55, physically fit, 5' 10 and 165 lbs. No arms like tree limbs.

Pinpointing suffers due to the double "D" coil. the center strip is active vs. a "hot spot" in the center. You will get outstanding depth as the trade off, and sweep a broader area. Once you get used to it, the pinpointing isn't much of a problem unless in very trashy areas which makes it harder due to closeness of targets & trash.

I strongly suggest downloading the manuals to any machines that you are considering in order to gain the insight of their capabilities. I did this, and then studied the manual for a couple of months before ordering the machine. I was ready for hands on familiarization when it arrived, and was programming it 10 days later.

I find the tones a little overwheming at times. I have had my Exp. since mid July and was doing great with it. The cold weather, Holiday season, etc. has not afforded me the time with it as in the warmer months. I found that after 6 weeks of non use I was pretty rusty in recognizing the sounds for the 1st hour or so. Been out twice in the past 7 days, and had a blast yesterday.

Good luck!!!!!

Bill

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I think I will download the maual and read it. It's kind of surprising to hear that pinpointing can be difficult when the other reviews I have read about it say that pinpointing is dead on.
As far as the Christmas package, I'm not sure what that consists of, but I wouldn't be able to purchase it for about 2 months. Kellyco seems to have a great package deal as well. Thanks again.

The xmas package is an extra 2 year warranty,long bag and tool pouch.279.95 value. Frm me you get a sabretooth digger, pouch and a grey ghost hadphone upgrade.
You can layaway with just a little down payment.
Beware the junk accessories others offer.

Don't be too concerned with the pinpointing aspect...  I've gotten to the point where I don't always have to use the pinpoint button at all.  "X-ing" out the target and finding it on the hot strip of the DD coil, narrows down the target.  My plugs have become smaller and smaller and I'm not off by much.

It's a great machine and as WT said, it's not really the beast everyone says it is.  Some studying and practice will shorten the learning curve dramatically.

I would advise that you seriously consider the Sunray X-1 pinpoiter as an "accessory" (although it doesn't come cheap).  You'll be digging deep and the probe comes in handy finding an elusive target without damaging it.

TonyinCT said:
Beware the junk accessories others offer.

Tony is correct about the ?free junk?. I did not purchase through Kelly?s but a buddy did and got all these "free" tools that lasted one hunt. My advice is forget the big dealer and purchase through a metal detector enthusiast (like Tony) or Dan
These folks are competitively priced and have a working knowledge of what they sell.

I find pin pointing very easy with the EXII. The more you use it the better you get. Cladius.

Thanks for all the great info. Tony, here is what KellyCo offers:

: Complete as factory shipped: 10.5 Inch Coil Cover, Minelab Koss Headphones, Minelab AC Wall Charger, Minelab 1600 mAH NiMH Rechargeable Battery, Minelab Alkaline Battery Holder for Standard Batteries (Std Batteries not Incl.), Detector Stand, Instruction Manual, 2-Year Warranty

They say it is over $400.00value. I don't see how though. Their price is $1,185.00

What is your price with the package deal?

Heck, that is what's in the box. What $400 extras? SCAM !
As I posted previously. Stick with a ma & pa dealer!
And the better ear phone offer is very good idea.

Tony I saved you the time.
"OUR PRICE $1185.75
Free Shipping, Headphones & Saber Tooth Digger ($29.95 Value) "

As Jeff R said, and I attest to..........Everything you mention is what comes with it, although it has been updated . Mine came with rechargeable 1600Mah NIMH batteries (AA) and an 8 cell charger. I think the NIMH "pod" battery was discontinued. Do yourself a favor and get a couple of sets of Eveready 2500 Mah NIMH cells about $15 - $18 /for eight. You will get great run time from them. You should also get the training DVD packed with it. The extended warrenty is a giveaway from Minelab, and all dealers give you this as well. I bought mine from TonyinCt. he will treat you right. I do not like to deal with those who spread too much "hype".

Also let me clear up any misunderstanding about pinpointing. It is a law of physics that a broad line covers more area than a round spot. Any double D coil will take a little more getting used to in pinpointing as its center bar is the active area. I can pinpoint most targets without the pinpoint mode by listening and if necessary, watching my depth indicator. I am usually dealing with a 3-4 inch area, but once in a while I can be off usually due to close trash or multiple targets.

I'm sorry all. I was mistaken. Here's the free value pack, not the other stuff:

II Purchase. - Value $459.55
FREE Genuine Minelab ESP (Extended Service Plan) 2 Year Additional Extended Warranty - Peace of mind..be worry free for 4 Years! This ESP can save many hundreds of dollars. $99.95, It's like insurance, you hope you never need it but if you do you'll be thankful that you were smart enough to buy it.
FREE Newly Redesigned Minelab Carry Bag Large enough to carry any Minelab Metal detector model. Full length zipper plus zippered outside pocket. Two easy to grip carrying handles. List $49.95
FREE Minelab Tool Belt . 10 Inches wide, 13 inches tall. Made with a tough cross stitched heavy duty nylon featuring a Minelab Logo. Main pouch is 9 inches deep and includes 3 additional inner storage pockets. Zippered pocket is great for storing your more valuable finds and the 2 looped side tool holders are made from 3 inch belt webbing. Nylon belt is included. $29.95

FREE Explorer II Training VHS & DVD. A must have Training Video/DVD, hosted by Gary Brun. Covers technology overview, assembly of your Explorer II. Includes many Pro-Tech tips, operation of the control panel, quick start disply operation, How to Pinpointing like a pro. Using Smart Find, setting up a test garden, testing coins and tones, how to use Advanced Settings and much more. 45 mins long. $30.00
FREE "Treasure Hunter" Digger Well-Made for coin and treasure hunters for use on soft soils and sand. Blade 5 1/2"-L x 3"-W. Blade continuously connected through by a welded ergonomic shaft to the large 7" hard wood handle for additional strength. Handle has soft foam grip plus leather loop strap to hang on your belt. $19.95
FREE Finding Treasure "State by State" Guide.* An outstanding series of regional State by State guides. Previously researched treasure sites including stories of hidden and buried loot from train robberies, bank robberies, as well as hidden caches of money, jewels, guns and other valuables. Many locations were sourced from various records, newspaper articles, police records and of course tales told from one person to another. A great way to get into detecting that can payoff in big finds. Compare to $29.95-$39.95
* This Free Regional CD Guide is included with certain metal detector purchases. Your Free State-by-State Regional Guide will include your state plus additional bonus states at no additional charge. *Free State-by-State Regional Guide is an easy to use compact disc format, compatible with MAC's and PC's.
FREE Explorer Rain and Dust Cover Protect your investment ..don't let rain & dust reduce your detecting power. Features easy on and off Velcro fasteners, clear-view panels that allow you to see the meter and adjust the settings. Gives you total protection from rain, mist, swirling dust, dirt, mud, etc. List $14.95
FREE Exclusive Limited Edition Gator Jr. knife is an impressive single blade stainless steel knife encased in a dual stainless steel compartment. The "easy to open" grip unlocks a 3 inch blade with "Gator Teeth" edges on cutting blade for cutting through virtually anything. A comfortable 4 inch handle provides a good grip for most uses. When folded the Gator Jr. knife can either be clipped on to your belt with a secure stainless steel clip that will fit belts to 2.5 inches or.., you can slip it into a form fitting double stitched cordura carrying case which can be worn when slipped through your belt. Very handy to have while metal detecting. Has many uses! List $39.95
FREE Back issue copy of Treasure Hunting Magazine. Metal Detecting hobby magazine filled with stories, articles, "How-To" new treasure sites & More. $4.95 FREE Trial Subscription to Lost Treasure Magazine. The World's #1 Selling Treasure Publication (Publishers postage free card with details will be enclosed)

Bearbqd,
Read Jeff's and my posts well!!! The extended warrenty comes with all of them. The DVD, the same. K....co is known for putting inflated values on items that are pure JUNK!!!! I purchased their state site locator / guide. It's almost worthless. The computer disks I was told, are so old they wont run on anything newer than Windows 98 SE. They are now giving them away.
The deal I got was all of the Minelab stuff that is packed with the unit, 4 yr. warranty, much better digger, apron, carry case, Grey Ghost headphones (worth a REAL $100), and a dealer who I can call anytime, and have made a number of subsequent purchases from, and will be buying a 4th detector from in less than a year. Do what you wish. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I didn't have to pay over inflated shipping charges on the "FREE" items that aren't worth even that. My shipping was free. All dealers are required to hold a minimum price or lose their contracts with mfgrs. The giveaways are the enticement since the prices are the same.

Well I guess the guys have said it just as good as I can. The FREE stuff is overinflated and not worth a total of 20.00. The other stuff comes from Minelab and I WILL put in a set of Grey Ghost at no charge like my website states. Recently on other forums there has been some debate about the tactics used by other internet dealers and how they scam you.
Remember this......If the cost of the FREEBIES outdistances the cost or is close to 30% of the cost of the detector , there is no way that they are worth what is advertised.The dealer will make nothing on the deal.
Example: I could take the Sabretooth digger ( a 12.95 value I sell for 9.95 and throw in FREE with EVERY Detector over 150.00) and say that the value of it is 59.95. That would be wrong but I could say it. And the staements of "We sell at the lowest price guaranteed" or " No one can sell lower than us" are true.WHY ? Because the manufacturers tell us what the max discount can be. I could say the same thing but choose not to mislead the public.
All in all , I conduct my business in a fair and honest manner. Am I always right , NO , but if I'm wrong I'll MAKE IT RIGHT !

Having delt with Tony in the past, he has become my only dealer and I would buy from no one but him.
Also, support the dealers who support this forum and help make the forum possible.
pop

Over here in the UK, the EXII would cost you around £1099 = $1,960 from one of the big dealers.
Then again, everything is more expensive over here :o(

There are a couple of places who will do it quite a bit cheaper, without all the extras, everyone already has :roll:

Ok you guys have thoroughly convinced me and I was already leaning towards Tony and his offer. I had my own suspicions about it as well and all of you just confirmed that. Here's the deal Tony (you're gonna love me), several friends at work want to get into detecting with me as well. They are all interested in your layaway plan. Two of them are interested in entry-level units around $300.00 and I told them the ACE 250 might be their best bet. I'll let you decide that since your the man. The other guy wants one a little more expensive, say in the $450 to $500 range, whatever you recommend in that price range. I, of course, want the Explorer II and the 18" coil which Kellyco offers for $250. I'm not sure what your price would be on that coil.
Now, do you have a limit on the number of months that I could layaway? Mine would take the longest to pay off, but the other guys should be able to do it pretty quickly. Would you be able to offer any other discounts for so many detectors? Would any of the other detectors come with any extra accessories? Is there a minimum to put down per detector? The more info I give them, the better.
Thanks for your time and help.

Bear..... The "Exc.....or" coil that the superstore offers, are their own house brand, made in China. STAY AWAY from them!!!! There are quite a few aftermarket coils designed for the Explorer II that will do much better.
I would save my money for now, get your machine, and learn it for a couple of months before getting an add on coil. Switching coils in the beginning I believe will add to your learning curve, as the response will change.

The Ace 250 is a great entry level detector. For 400 to 500 I would reccomend either the Xterra 30 or White's Prizm V or the Tesoro DeLeon. The 30 goes for 398.50 and the Prizm V goes for 500.00 and the DeLeon goes for 479.20. I cannot discount the detectors any more than the manufacturers allow so those prices are static. I can and will throw in some accessories with each as descibed on my web site. I may also be able to do a bit more on the accessory side if all the detectors are ordered at the same time. The layaway would have to be at least 10% of the total and I think up to 4 months would be a reasonable time to pay the balance off. I am always open to discussing the situation further. Let me know how you want to proceed from here.

Back
Top Bottom