• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

One word beginning with G...?

Doug

Elite Member
It is only a small word consisting of four letters but it brings a smile to most detectorist’s face on the day of finding?

GOLD

For those of keen eyesight, and that does not include me, the Charles 1st Double Crown is double struck (two noses!)

Enjoy.

Doug (England)

View attachment 29855

Last edited:
Thanks Dino, tried putting it into a one arm bandit down in Lyme Regis yesterday , for some reason it did not work, so I threw it back into my grot-box!

Doug :lol:

Those aren't nuthin but cool!!! Nice finds. I've never found a gold coin, and you found a double-strike.

Thanks for sharing.

How often does one find a gold coin! :shock: Amazing!

Difficult and virtually impossible to answer.

This is my own personal record on gold coins.

Three gold coins in the less than twelve calendar months, (June last year to January this year) but you have to remember the amount of time I put into detecting. At least twice but most times three times a week.

Prior to that, one gold coin in 2007,

Prior to that, two gold coins in best part of thirty years plus.

The fact I am retired now and can devote more time to detecting will increase my chances of finding more…………..but you/I just don’t know?

All the gold coins have been returned to the landowner/farmer, I have never sold any coin or artefact.

Thanks for asking.

Doug :spin: :tumble:

Simon is quite right, if you look at part of my record it was one every 15 years, that is quite literally thousands of hours of detecting time?

But you just do not know what the next “find” is until you dig it out of the ground?

Doug

I wonder if sometimes a gold coin was deliberately put in a field to try and guarantee a good crop, a sort of votive offering ?

Interesting theory that one Alan, I do have a field which I think is a Roman votive site, the FLO (Finds Liaison Officer) says not?

Doug

I've the luck of the devil (see Avatar), and found 5 gold Celts and 11 silver Celts in one weeks holiday.

Dino, that is one coin that I am sure is a geographic find?

I do not remember any found down here in the south west, possibly the odd one, same with Viking items?

Doug.

Back
Top Bottom