Goodbye AT Pro, Hello e-Trac

pballwiz

So after hunting with my At Pro for 3 months I decided to part with it and pick up Minelab e-Trac. With everyone getting ready to upgrade to the AT Max, it's a buyer's market for the used AT Pro Shopper. I found this out big time when I tried to recoup as much money as I could on my AT Pro :(
The AT Pro is a good detector but I wanted something with more depth and VDI accuracy and the e-Trac delivers both! I picked it up from Colonial Metal Detectors (site sponsor). Got a great price and excellent service.
I had intended to keep the AT Pro but after a my first hunt with the e-Trac I knew my AT Pro would be gathering dust. It's going to take me a while to fully understand this detector but it's going to be fun learning it.
I always have the Tesoro to fall back on if I want to get back to basics.

Last edited:
You know the old mantra...location location location! Don't let the etrac overwhelm you,take your time...it WILL take time. The ones who truly benefit are the ones who don't get intimidated and just use the machine for many many hours. When it starts to really gel you will realize the stupendous ability of FBS.
But it can't be realized without spending ALOT of time with it.
It's a hell of a good step,IMHO. Good luck!

this ^^^^^^^^ IMO has more to do with finds than any other factor of the hobby. Both capable machines and both proven keepers :yes:

Yup. Even the 3030 or any of the top of the line machines wont find anything if there's nothing there. Throw the perfect bait into the water and if there's no fish you'll think its YOU when you cant catch/Find what is not there.

Takes the object to BE there and us to listen to our machines. Yes, Some are better than others (both humans and detector machines) But they will all pretty much find goodies.

this ^^^^^^^^ IMO has more to do with finds than any other factor of the hobby. Both capable machines and both proven keepers :yes:

I totally agree , a guy with no experience and a decent machine can hit places that are virgin and out find a veteran who has a top of the line machine, who hunts pounded out sites. And if he can get enough of the virgin sites will find a lot of goodies! And never even know or care what was left behind.

I have some virgin permissions i have not hit yet , but for some reason i keep going back to pounded out spots to see if i can find what has been passed over. I have a lot of fun testing machines and finding things left behind. And there is always finds left behind!

All legitimate and good comments...the perception a lot of times is that when a good find is made,it's because of that spaceship machine. WAY more times than not...any decent machine would have found it. Couple the decent machine to a great operator and only a small percentage is left behind due to difficult circumstances. A GREAT machine technically may indeed make for an operator that ISNT so good,because the machine IS that good at finding things! Running FBS takes time and a site with promise...just like ANY machine.
I took the mighty CTX out this morning and found ZILCH. Today I'm the bug...

Found silver on my 2nd hunt along with about 7 dollars in clad. The merc was every bit of 8" down. 8 Wheaties too!
4a8f583e32f92264a3302314b8b571d4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You'll love the E-Trac. Myself I, currently, have the AT Pro & E-Trac. Really covers all needs. The E-Trac is second to none when pulling those deep old coins from hard hit sites, but if you're a gold hunter, as I am, then the E-Tracs loses to the AT Pro for gold.

You'll love the E-Trac. Myself I, currently, have the AT Pro & E-Trac. Really covers all needs. The E-Trac is second to none when pulling those deep old coins from hard hit sites, but if you're a gold hunter, as I am, then the E-Tracs loses to the AT Pro for gold.
I might take the plunge on an AT-MAX at some point after the dust settles. Right now I am still in the learning stage with my etrac and I really enjoy hunting with it more than with the AT Pro. .

From sites you've hit with AT Pro?:?:
I had hunted there before with my AT-PRO.
It's a huge area though. I tried not to cover ground that I've already hunted. I'm not saying the AT-PRO isn't a capable detector. I can tell you from owning both machines that the e-Trac is a deeper machine with more accurate identification numbers especially on deeper targets. For twice the price of the AT-PRO, it better do something better than the AT-PRO. That being said, my Tesoro Vaquero is is as deep as the e-Trac when it's super tuned at half the price of the AT-PRO. Go figure.

I've had my AT Pro for a few years and always really liked it. I found alot of good stuff but not all that much silver. Last year I bought an E-trac in hopes that it would really be the miracle silver killer. That didn't happen. Feel free to insert ("you have to be over the silver") I have quite a few hours on it and feel that I have finally figured it out. Although I keep the ATP and the E-trac in the truck, it seems that I have to force myself to use the E-trac to justify the high cost. It is deeper. But that's about all. I don't really care for it all that much and doubt I ever will. Just my 2 cents.

I've had my AT Pro for a few years and always really liked it. I found alot of good stuff but not all that much silver. Last year I bought an E-trac in hopes that it would really be the miracle silver killer. That didn't happen. Feel free to insert ("you have to be over the silver") I have quite a few hours on it and feel that I have finally figured it out. Although I keep the ATP and the E-trac in the truck, it seems that I have to force myself to use the E-trac to justify the high cost. It is deeper. But that's about all. I don't really care for it all that much and doubt I ever will. Just my 2 cents.
Yep, you got to be over silver to find it, that's for sure. The AT-PRO would probably perform better in an iron infested site going low and slow. And it would definitely be better under water :) I could have held on to the AT Pro but I didn't need another distraction while trying to learn the e-Trac. I got the unit not expecting it to magically find silver on every hunt. I did find some on my second hunt so now I will be expecting it every other hunt :) No seriously so far I'm liking the e-Trac. Sorry that yours really isn't doing it for you. You should be using it because you feel more confident with it ,not because it cost you so much. If you feel that way, just sell it and go back to the AT-PRO. Just my 2 cents.

Yep, you got to be over silver to find it, that's for sure. The AT-PRO would probably perform better in an iron infested site going low and slow. And it would definitely be better under water :) I could have held on to the AT Pro but I didn't need another distraction while trying to learn the e-Trac. I got the unit not expecting it to magically find silver on every hunt. I did find some on my second hunt so now I will be expecting it every other hunt :) No seriously so far I'm liking the e-Trac. Sorry that yours really isn't doing it for you. You should be using it because you feel more confident with it ,not because it cost you so much. If you feel that way, just sell it and go back to the AT-PRO. Just my 2 cents.

The more you learn your E-trac, and go over the the same places that you collected the silver with the ATP, you will see that you really didn't miss much. You couldn't be more right about the ATP in the trash. The E-trac just loves to null out the goodies if there is any trash within about a few inches. Most guys go with a smaller coil which seems to defeat the purpose of buying it for the extra depth in the first place. As far as selling it, ya, I'd just love to take a few hundred dollars loss on that deal. I'm glad that you like yours though>

The more you learn your E-trac, and go over the the same places that you collected the silver with the ATP, you will see that you really didn't miss much. You couldn't be more right about the ATP in the trash. The E-trac just loves to null out the goodies if there is any trash within about a few inches. Most guys go with a smaller coil which seems to defeat the purpose of buying it for the extra depth in the first place. As far as selling it, ya, I'd just love to take a few hundred dollars loss on that deal. I'm glad that you like yours though>
There aren't many places where I found silver with the AT-PRO to go back over. In fact in the 3 months I owned it I only found one silver coin. On my 2nd hunt with the e-Trac I found a silver coin and a sterling silver religious medal. Could I have made this finds with the AT-PRO? Possibly
Could I have found the one silver coin my AT-PRO found with the e-Trac? Definitely.

Back
Top Bottom