My experience with AKA machines

Fschg

I used to own two AKA machines. A Signum MFD with a 7KHz,3KHz 15" and a switchable 3 frequency coil. I also got the AKA harness in order to use the deep feature of the MFD. The second AKA machine was a Sorex Pro which I had fitted with the A-Gain option.

Well, I bought the MFD from a German dealer dealing AKA machines. The German manual that came with the detector was a joke. Since I don't speak Russian I read the English manual which was as bad as the German one. The real information I got from the AKA forum, which I believe is run by SuchMuch, a user also present here in the forum.

The first thing that struck my was the poor quality of the shaft. My lower shaft of the MFD was drilled off a few degrees off so the coil was always slightly tilted. The cam locks did not lock well and the whole shaft was wobbly.

Some coils came with a coil cover some did not. I asked on the forum where to get covers but was told that in Russia nobody uses covers and i should not worry. I found covers on eBay, made somewhere in the Ukraine but they were poorly made and did not fit at all.

As far as using the MFD and Sorex, it was quite a learning curve since they are very different compared to Minelab, Garrett, Fisher and Whites. The hodo display is to some extend similar to what I got on my V3i or the Deus. All terms used in the machines settings are very different from any other machine. The ground balance feature took some time to learn and I had watch videos on YouTube and ask questions on the forum since the manual does not really explain it well.

To deal with the European distributor was a pain in the butt. Stephan the owner seems to be the only English speaking person in the entire company. Emails if they were answered, were answered very slow. Actually it was easier to catch him on the AKA forum than by his company email.

My MFD had software version 1.17 when i bought it and in the year I owned it, I believe 2 updates came out. Since I had to send the machine to Bulgaria for the update i never did it. Once i send the Sorex in for the A-gain update and it took a month before I had it back. So I decided against updating my MFD with a newer software.

The performance was good, I compared the MFD with my other machines I had at the time. These were a V3I, XP Deus, CTX3030, Vista Smart+ and a TDI Pro. The MFD detected a quarter deeper than the V3i. As a matter of fact, way deeper! The CTX performed well but the MFD was deeper but not as good in identifying the target. The Deus and Smart+ were equal to the MFD and the TDI was deeper.

What really threw me off AKA machines was the poor information flow. If you have to use a non official forum to get a proper manual - that's no good. Constantly news about improved third party MFD came up. Russian dealers who modify the AKA machines for better performance, pro, ultra and whatnot versions left you always asking am i up to date? Do I need that? Why did they come out with new versions right after I bought mine?
I was told several that AKA is not interested in advertising outside of Russia. So I guess they are also not interested in publishing a proper manual or offer proper customer support. I decided to end my AKA adventure and sell both machines. I really wanted to like them and I even found a gold coin with the MFD but it wasn't for me. Maybe one day I will give it another try but so far I see no real advantage in AKA machines. And frankly the whole Intronik STF thing annoys the living !!!! out of me. just finish the darn machine, send it out to independent testers and let's see how it performs. Stop publishing "test videos" on YouTube. The whole mystery seems like a big marketing plot to me to generate attention. For what if you don't even have a proper network of dealers and service centers outside of Russia?

I would have to agree with you on most points. It is like pulling teeth to get any info or response or info on these machines. I own a Sorex Pro and really like the performance of the machine but the learning curve is huge, mostly due to the lack of info and decently laid out users manual. Like you I am hoping I never have to send mine in as I am not sure if I will ever get it back.
Not sure I would invest any more $ in their machines and hope to get my money's worth out of this one.

Found it very funny that AKA has no interest in expanding their market outside of Europe. Business must be good.

Well they don't even have it really expanded to Europe. There is one dealer in Germany, Bulgaria and some in the UK. There might be more but again you never know because you don't see or hear anything about it.

This is very common to Russian users as well. Why not to choose other md brand? XP, Minelab, Garrett... AKA is not everybody's cup of tea. AKA shafts aren't the best as well as Minelab's, Fisher's, Mars' etc.

SuchMuch is sharing info the way and place he wants. Prior to posting on AKAForums, he used to post on garysdetecting and some other sites.

As to marketing and promotion, AKA do not invest in such activities. I have recently seen lots of threads dealing with Nokta Impact and Rutus Alter, switch to them, they have great promotion and reports

I use my Signum occassionally.
Deep unit if you have the GB set to the actual ground where the supposed deep(er) coin is lurking.

If not, you can kiss it goodbye as far as finding anyone deep, except maybe a car hood.

I do like audio, would even like to see some other manufacturers listen to sorex or signum, and see how close they can get.

I have found some coins too in sites, surprised me actually.

Have aftermarket 14khz coil.
Does a pretty good job.
My shaft is out of whack, but I actually like it the way it is.
Why?
While I am sweeping the misalignment allows the screen to be tilted toward me at an angle for better viewing.
I am right handed btw when I swing coil.

Using boost on detector in my soil,test bed shows this is a no no.
I can use economy off and on though and get good performance depth wise.

You have to thank Scott Huey for translating the Berkut manual. He had intimate working knowledge of the Berkut. At least after reading and playing with the Berkut it easier to understand how to make it work. Probably the nicest display with an in depth menu system.
This was probably the Gem of all their detectors for coin and jewelry hunters but, not the most popular compared to the Sorex.

The Intronix thing has been going on for years now, guess they can't get it right to get it into production. It's only superior to every other machine in those videos they compare it to the latest top of the line detectors from other brands.

I had two English versions of the Berkut, older and current versions. Liked the latest the best. Excellent machine but, you can find comparable performance without all the features in models of other popular brands found in the US and Europe.

There probably is some prejudice towards the USA by Russia. And it goes the other way as well. So distribution of AKA's outside of Russia is basically Stefan at MikronBG in Bulgaria.

I have no problems with GBing AKAs, it's ok for me.
No one taught me how to do that, I just read... forums.

GBing on AKA detectors is not a rocket science. Told many times and once again: reduce Gain until you get a straight line. But many of you are not capable to reduce Gain and this is a real problem of AKA detectors: detectorist is allowed to tweak AKA metal detector the way he wants even if it leads to abnormal falsing.

Back
Top Bottom