Son of a Bust

Swing4TheRing

Forum Supporter
I was doing a clean up from 2 nights of hunting at the old lake near my house that used to have an amusement park along the water as well as a popular ferry. I've never hunted this lake very often because it's just so hard and packed with rock! I decided to work my way down the water's edge over to the swim area of the yacht club.

I started pulling coins immediately and there were targets everywhere! Digging was a little easier here because the swimmers churn up the lake bottom. I hunt at night on this lake as the town is pretty busy during the day. Well with the darkness, I only vaguely knew what I was dropping in to my pouch as I worked back and forth. A few wheats and a lot of clad, I noticed at least 3-4 dimes where silver as they came out very black and I could make out a Merc on one of them. Also pulled a 10k signet ring but turns out it's actually GFE (which I couldn't see in the dark).

Now to the fun part... during the clean up I was looking for the 4th silver dime that I knew I had pulled last night amongst the clad and when I picked it up I didn't recognize the coin at first. It was so tarnished I wasn't sure if it was a Rosie or Merc. I flipped it over and saw a weird image on the reverse side, an eagle... huh I said, that's weird... maybe it's a foreign coin? I flipped it back over and could then make out the pretty lady with hair flowing down! OMG!!! BUST!!! I couldn't believe it! And I found it in the lake bottom of all places. I thought I would have to head out east and work an old farm house to ever have a shot at one of these.

Got it cleaned up and saw the 1836 date on it! The town wasn't even officially established until 1891, but the first school went up near the lake around 1834. Around 1870 is when the area became a popular vacation/swim area. Amazing to think who could have lost this little gem!

This is a great year for old coins for me when normally I'm looking for gold in the water, as I also scored my first seated dime earlier in the year, plus on this hunt it gave me a dime trifecta... even though I skipped over 2 varieties lol! Very happy to have my new, oldest American coin!!! Cheers all!

Attachments

• 20160923_135737.jpg
    20160923_135737.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,643
  • 20160923_135748.jpg
    20160923_135748.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,624
  • 20160923_165344.jpg
    20160923_165344.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,639
  • 20160923_165355.jpg
    20160923_165355.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,628
Great find. A capped bust anything was at the top of my bucket list this year....time is running out. Oh well....at least others are finding them! Congrats!

So cool. I was out earlier this summer and watched a buddy of mine dig a CAPPED HALF DOLLAR 1831 or 1832 (cant remember the date exactly) I was in shock. It totally minimized the 1894 barber half I found right after his.

Awesome find.

Awesome find. I love reading these posts. They get me motivated. Not that I really need it at this point.

Back
Top Bottom