Scrapbook silver coins 2008.

Doug

Elite Member
With yet another detecting year coming to the end I thought I would put together a photograph of some of my more memorable finds from 2008.

This one is of silver coins found around the local farms.

I hope to put up others at a later date.

Thanks for looking.

Doug (England)

View attachment 25640

Last edited:
Awesome Doug... simply awesome!
I surely hope that you keep us up to date with these rightous digs.
(My keyboard is gettin' pretty dry... for lack of drool! ;))

I am just absolutely jealous of you UK folks, the rich history is just incredible. I would like to know with so much history all around you how do you research to find likely spots to detect? I understand that many of you work farm fields following plowing etc, but in order to do that you must have some incite into history.

Fantastic finds, ColoKid

I am just absolutely jealous of you UK folks, the rich history is just incredible. I would like to know with so much history all around you how do you research to find likely spots to detect? I understand that many of you work farm fields following plowing etc, but in order to do that you must have some incite into history.

Fantastic finds, ColoKid

Thanks gals and guys for all your kind comments.

Here in England we have “ items” being dropped and discarded into the ground by accident and design for best part of three thousand years and certainly from the Roman era two thousand years on a regular basis.

Being only a small island you can be lucky and drop onto a “productive” field!

Research?

All the 1899 maps showing a lot of detail are now on the internet and one thing I do is look for footpaths going to, churches, public houses, villages and water.

This is normally my starting point on getting permission to detect. Over a period of time you start to build up a picture of the fields through pottery and other surface finds mainly after ploughing.

Speaking and talking to the farmer and the locals folk can lead to important information from times gone by, for example speaking to a gentleman of around 90 years old informed me that the banking in front of his cottage was the remains of a stagecoach track!

Searching this old stagecoach route through the fields I found a lot of old coins plus a piece of “gun-money” (Google it UK!) and a very old (?) cross. Non of this information is on any maps!!

Doug (England)

View attachment 26176

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom