AT Pro.

rustyk1

Elite Member
Looking for a little input on the AT Pro, I have had Garrett before, Groundhog and loved that machine. Also had a couple of Tesoro Detectors, with a Tejon being the latest. Buying a new machine in late June and would like some input.
Thanks in advance, Dana

I oown the AT Pro now for a few months.

While I have used a F75 for years I wanted something different. I had used a buddys AT Pro a few months before my purchase and was thinking what a great second machine. My F75 was taking way too much abuse. I have seen a few friends use the AT Pro and made some great finds. When I purchased my AT Pro I had to have the 5x8 coil I heard so much about. I have seen this setup be used and it really did a good job in some harsh environment.

Sounds like you have had some great machines. Not sure if the AT Pro will up your game. But you will be very confident with it. The Pro will handle any hunt, but I use it for trashy parks and iron infested homesites. It has a Iron Audio feature that really helps ID deep iron targets like bottle caps. Depth is ok and you can expect to find a coin sized target at 10 inches. The 5x8 coil will find the smallest piece of wire and hits on foil balls that litter the parks. The Pro stands for proportional and I really love it the closer you are to the target the louder the signal in Pro mode.

While all metal mode is not listed Pro Zero mode is as close as I could get it. Pin Point works ok with the 5x8 coil, no coins or targets in the side of the hole. The VDI is very helpful and I dont need my glasses to read it. The head phones that come with the Pro have audio knobs for each muff and very comfortable. The cord is a bit short for my long frame so I find myself taking the headphones off to dig any target deeper than a few inches. I keep tipping the Pro with the cord as I pull it as I move to dig the hole.

Compared to my F75 the Pro is hard on batterys as I only get about 6 hours on my rechargeable. I have had the connector come loose on my coil connection during hunts, so check every time you turn on. You need 4 AA batterys, and you want them equal in strength. You will get a lot of acting up if you dont. Keep the coil as close to the ground as you can. Ground Balance helps with depth also so read the manual.

I originally bought the AT Pro for my son. But I have been using it as much as I use my F75. I have not seen any issues with build quality and I already have gave my screen a good nick with my digger accidentally.

I want to add the Iron Audio goes off what you set your discrimination at. You will want to read the manual a few times. You can only save your settings on one of the Pro modes. Coin mode is for beginners. Notching targets in and out is very easy and you can manually set the ground balance but I would not suggest doing that. I have not found it hits harder on silver as some claim.

I havent used the Stock coil yet as I hunt mostly parks and iron infested sites. You can really find a few keepers with that 5x8 coil. You wont hear too many folks talk bad about the detectors they own. For the price range there is several detectors out there. T2 which I have seen produce is one. First Texas has the new F series of detectors also that are well below the Pro's price. Good luck hope this helps.

My first detector was an ATPro, I started with it on Pro Zero, and never looked back. I found tons of great things. It was easy to learn, and it's easy to swing.

I have tried the much exalted 5X8 coil, and the big NEL Storm, but I prefer the stock coil for the areas I hunt. It seperates well and it's fairly deep.

As for it being as good as the expensive detectors, it's pretty d@mn good! I've since moved up to an Etrac (which I really like) but I've rehunted all my spots that I pounded with my ATPro and have yet to find any silver that it missed.

Good luck!

AT Pro is good...

I have had the AT Pro for 2 years...Its worked good and I am just getting use to it... For the money its good...

The Etrac is a beast.

My first detector was an ATPro, I started with it on Pro Zero, and never looked back. I found tons of great things. It was easy to learn, and it's easy to swing.

I have tried the much exalted 5X8 coil, and the big NEL Storm, but I prefer the stock coil for the areas I hunt. It seperates well and it's fairly deep.

As for it being as good as the expensive detectors, it's pretty d@mn good! I've since moved up to an Etrac (which I really like) but I've rehunted all my spots that I pounded with my ATPro and have yet to find any silver that it missed.

Good luck!

The Etrac is twice as much or more as the AT Pro but yes a better detector.

I have tried several higher end detectors and always come back to the AT PRO. It will not disappoint if you give it a chance...

The Etrac is twice as much or more as the AT Pro but yes a better detector.

Yes, that was my entire point. The Etrac is a workhorse and it should be due to the substantial cost, HOWEVER the ATPro can hold its own for a much more reasonable price. Is the Etrac TWICE the detector? I really don't think it is. I wouldn't hesitate recommending either detector, and especially the ATPro for a determined beginner.

While I have used a F75 for years I wanted something different. I had used a buddys AT Pro a few months before my purchase and was thinking what a great second machine. My F75 was taking way too much abuse. I have seen a few friends use the AT Pro and made some great finds. When I purchased my AT Pro I had to have the 5x8 coil I heard so much about. I have seen this setup be used and it really did a good job in some harsh environment.

Sounds like you have had some great machines. Not sure if the AT Pro will up your game. But you will be very confident with it. The Pro will handle any hunt, but I use it for trashy parks and iron infested homesites. It has a Iron Audio feature that really helps ID deep iron targets like bottle caps. Depth is ok and you can expect to find a coin sized target at 10 inches. The 5x8 coil will find the smallest piece of wire and hits on foil balls that litter the parks. The Pro stands for proportional and I really love it the closer you are to the target the louder the signal in Pro mode.

While all metal mode is not listed Pro Zero mode is as close as I could get it. Pin Point works ok with the 5x8 coil, no coins or targets in the side of the hole. The VDI is very helpful and I dont need my glasses to read it. The head phones that come with the Pro have audio knobs for each muff and very comfortable. The cord is a bit short for my long frame so I find myself taking the headphones off to dig any target deeper than a few inches. I keep tipping the Pro with the cord as I pull it as I move to dig the hole.

Compared to my F75 the Pro is hard on batterys as I only get about 6 hours on my rechargeable. I have had the connector come loose on my coil connection during hunts, so check every time you turn on. You need 4 AA batterys, and you want them equal in strength. You will get a lot of acting up if you dont. Keep the coil as close to the ground as you can. Ground Balance helps with depth also so read the manual.

I originally bought the AT Pro for my son. But I have been using it as much as I use my F75. I have not seen any issues with build quality and I already have gave my screen a good nick with my digger accidentally.

I want to add the Iron Audio goes off what you set your discrimination at. You will want to read the manual a few times. You can only save your settings on one of the Pro modes. Coin mode is for beginners. Notching targets in and out is very easy and you can manually set the ground balance but I would not suggest doing that. I have not found it hits harder on silver as some claim.

I havent used the Stock coil yet as I hunt mostly parks and iron infested sites. You can really find a few keepers with that 5x8 coil. You wont hear too many folks talk bad about the detectors they own. For the price range there is several detectors out there. T2 which I have seen produce is one. First Texas has the new F series of detectors also that are well below the Pro's price. Good luck hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick response, I know I will like the Garrett as I have had several older ones. The Tejon was a deep seeking machine, but very chatty (chirpy) and a little erratic, just not an overall coin hunter.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response, I have had a few different machines and still find my way back to Garrett

AT Pro's make Gold rings squirt out of the water. :cool:

Thanks for the quick response, this will be the first machine I can get wet, heard different things regarding wet sand and salt, but I will find out in early July.

I have tried several higher end detectors and always come back to the AT PRO. It will not disappoint if you give it a chance...

Thanks for the input, I have a great deal of patience with the machines I have owned, I had a very old Compass RM-7A, and that was a bear to understand, but once you could it worked very well. I am in SC, and hope to get out into some Civil War sites, I know of a couple and getting into the creeks will be beneficial, not to mention that the severe flooding last Oct took out some old mill dams, and washed out about 3-4 feet of silt when they let go.

The Pro offers the most performance and durability for the money.

How many other machines can you take for a swim?

You don't want to be caught in a downpour with some other machines.

The Iron Audio feature is great. It really sniffs out those bottle caps.

Good used Pro's with accessories can be found for under $500 too.

The Pro offers the most performance and durability for the money.

How many other machines can you take for a swim?

You don't want to be caught in a downpour with some other machines.

The Iron Audio feature is great. It really sniffs out those bottle caps.

Good used Pro's with accessories can be found for under $500 too.

I think I am buying this one new, Have had only one other detector brand new. and the waterproof feature is looking really good. I have scrambled to find cover before, it is not fun. I did have one other question, How is the AT Gold?

I think I am buying this one new, Have had only one other detector brand new. and the waterproof feature is looking really good. I have scrambled to find cover before, it is not fun. I did have one other question, How is the AT Gold?

AT Gold has threshold but is a no no on wet salt beach. The AT Pro can be used but you will be forced to dial back the sensitivity which pretty much defeats the effectiveness of the machine depth wise.

Sent from my detector via iPhone

I think I am buying this one new, Have had only one other detector brand new. and the waterproof feature is looking really good. I have scrambled to find cover before, it is not fun. I did have one other question,

How is the AT Gold?

I wonder about the AT Gold, but by now I am so used to the 'Pro and all of it's tricks I will be using them for a long time to come.
Like most water hunters my main water AT is customized a bit. I have a shaft cuff extension and a padded aluminum cuff. I also use a NEL Attack coil for it's superior depth and coverage. Gray Ghost Amphibian waterproof headphones.

In fresh water I am never outgunned, I can hear things others cant. :cool: They are pretty rugged hard working machines. One thing I would have done different though is I wasted the first 3 months with it trying to use the bells and whistles that now I consider useless. After reading how some really top hunters ran their AT Pro's wide open I tried that and never looked back.

Start right out running it pro zero with zero discrimination. Allow the machine to tell you what metal is present, don't tell your machine what you want to hear.
The AT Pro will pull coin and ring tones right out of a mess of junk if you let it, it is hard to describe but impossible to forget once you have heard it do it.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Good hunting you will love whichever AT you choose! :grin:

is1.jpg

RS2.jpg

...Allow the machine to tell you what metal is present, don't tell your machine what you want to hear. ...

I am only a few good weather weeks in with the used one I got from a friend here on this site and this is the way to go. Solid advice Irons!!!

Learn it, don't waste time like is said on some instructionals running Std first. Yes you'll hear a LOT of chatter if it's trashy. But that's not the unit running poorly as some cry about... it's feed back on where you are hunting and what is below.

Back
Top Bottom