I'm really curious about trying a Minelab Sovereign GT

yrekadude

Elite Member
Hello,

I've tried lots of detectors at the Santa Cruz boardwalk and nearby.. so far my favorite beach detector is the White's TDI.. but I really hear lots of good stuff about the Minelab Sovereign GT even though it is BBS and not FBS.

Currently I'm using a Minelab Explorer II with the Pro Coil and seem to be doing ok but it has slow recovery.. I like to go faster..

soes the Sovereign GT work good in our west coast beaches with lots of black sands?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Hello,

I've tried lots of detectors at the Santa Cruz boardwalk and nearby.. so far my favorite beach detector is the White's TDI.. but I really hear lots of good stuff about the Minelab Sovereign GT even though it is BBS and not FBS.

Currently I'm using a Minelab Explorer II with the Pro Coil and seem to be doing ok but it has slow recovery.. I like to go faster..

soes the Sovereign GT work good in our west coast beaches with lots of black sands?

Thanks...

Of course it does! I don't own one, but know a few gents that do that wouldn't have it any other way. There have been a couple REALLY clean ones pop up in the BST section as of late.

Quick question...are you thinking about working a lot of dry sand at the towel line for fresh drops? If you are, its a good strategy...really fast and light and covering a lot of sand in a hurry?..Like every morning?
Thats what I do up here, and yes we get layers of black sand as well...I use my F70 w/a tall mans lower rod, light fast small sand scoop with a 4' handle..just really flinging fast and furious for shallow fresh dropped targets...I'm the first one there at 4am hitting all the primary dry sand drop zones and gone before anybody else shows up. Covering 3 miles of dry sand in a few hours..Its more of a race than a hunt. Its tough duty! I do not look forward to it...hate it actually, in the dark, really going and blowing like a madman...but every once in a while, you really hit it big!...
Mud

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 172
I have a sov elite but haven't got to the beach yet. I will let you people know how I like it in the future. Need to wait for some hotter days and low tides.:yes:

I was just like mud puppy 20 years ago,go early and work fast, getting older slowed me down..as been said the sovereign isn't a fast machine, the original sovereign was the fastest that I used but not by much..but noticeably faster.

Thanks for the info.. been really curious about the GT... maybe I'll try one out someday. My Explorer II seems like I got to go slow with it..

Thanks again for the info people...

The sov gt is a great machine, and bbs is a SOLID technology, even deeper than fbs in some circumstances. This was even confirmed by a minelab rep...
The only issue with the sov is it's a bit slow recovering from iron null, but keep a slow swing speed and it's a beast!

The biggest thing going against the Sovereigns is the weight. I've owned a couple of them and as much as I like them they are just too heavy for me to enjoy them any more. Don't get me wrong if Minelab came out with a 2lb version I'd be in line to buy another one. Even when you hip or chest mount the control box the pole and coil weigh more than many modern detectors. If you can take the weight though the Sovereign is still competitive with new technology.

Back
Top Bottom