white's v31 vdi readings

kidlester

Elite Member
hello,
I have a question for anyone that is a pro with the v3i. While hunting a nearby church I had some strange signals. I have modified the coin and jewelry program. Set the ground filter at 7.5 band pass, gain at 10, all metal at 60 and the discrimination at 80. Started getting signals of 54vdi to 56vdi zinc penny range and dug them. All the targets were wheats in very good shape. Is this a ground balance issue or is this normal with the settings? Is this the result of the settings I have modified or the ground mineralization?
Thanks
Tom

I have noticed similar events with mine, I usually ground balance again and go back to the bone stock C&J program if I am having doubts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If I understand your post correctly-- the coins read low.

Soil mineralization will cause.
And even in somewhat milder soil--- deeper targets can read low.
V3i Is a detector that doesn't seem to up average, rather down average.

Also a target for example a coin tilted somewhat on edge can cause a low reading as well.

Pinpoint depth is key in conjunction to target size in making dig , no dig decisions with a V3i detector.
Btw trying to interpret dominat freq sometimes will help,,but deeper targets it is much harder to read which freq is dominant--- plus using the dominat freq test is not an absolute test--- especially comparing the 2.5khz and the 7.5 kHz freqs.

Cheers

I dont see the problem. A penny reads at 55 vdi if i remember correctly from my old v3i.

Copper pennies. It's been a while. I remember that there was a setting to spread out or condense the vdi numbers. Maybe that was selected?
Only Zincolns read in the 50's on the V3i, copper hits around 70 plus. ..now a Indian, will also hit mid 50's to 60, but they have some brass in them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thanks for the info everyone! I have noticed the deeper the target, the less reliable the VDI. I will start using the other tools more often before I dig and see what they determine. sometimes I get exited and dig before testing.
Thanks

thanks for the info everyone! I have noticed the deeper the target, the less reliable the VDI. I will start using the other tools more often before I dig and see what they determine. sometimes I get exited and dig before testing.
Thanks

Understand the excited part-- been there and done that.
Best of luck to you.

Your fine.
I have found many early green wbacks that are 4" or deeper that have ID with and IH Low 50's .
HH

Hello,
It looks like a balance issue. went to an old cemetery today and the wheats range up properly.
Tom

Your fine 54 is exactly where they should be especially the older ones . Newer copper pennies will be hitting at 75 or so

Back
Top Bottom