Which detector is the best???

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Which detector is the best???

Is there really a right answer to this question???

I have been perusing this forum as well as others.

The human being--- being a detectorist and even those contemplating becoming a detectorist,,, many times this query of thought enters their mind

So what is the answer???

A very hard question indeed.

It is safe to say based solely on my experience--- not all detectors are created equal.

What does this really mean???

To begin with.

The soil,,the mineral levels in soil vary-- with lower and higher levels depending on the varying locations around the world.

We all see the videos posted on the web showing airtest of different items, including coins.

These test don't paint the true picture-- because soil minerals are discounted.

The arrangement of nonferrous items in the ground as they relate to other nonferrous items as well as ferrous items is wide range in nature.

So a detector must be able to cope with such arrangements to be productive.

Next comes depth of targets, as this too plays a part, not to mention the various nonferrous and ferrous that exist above and below a desirable target-- this 3D scenario a detector must cope with.

Detector options when it comes to tones, tone breaks, discrimination, depth meters, All metal function--- all these and how these infact can alert a detectorist to a desirable target.

So what does all this--- these options and target variables in the ground mean??

I think it is safe to say we as humans use our eyes, ears, and now with some detectors for the hearing impaired even feel to locate our targets.

So I think it is also safe to say these senses mentioned above also are variable between folks.

Next we should discuss cost.

A person shouldn't expect the cheapest detectors to perform like the most expensive--- much like comparing autos, computers, firearms, jet airplanes, stereos, etc

Now it should be pointed out some of the cheaper- not flagship-- can have/ do have a good niche about them.

It is very possible for example for a detector to be an above average separator in iron, yet not be near flagship deep.

And vice versa.

Target type interest should be a heavy consideration when choosing a detector
As detectors usually have their fancy for either low, mid range, or high conductors

Emi handing/ stability-- this characteristic deals with an invisible force we as detectorist can usually only measure by one of two ways-- primarily by how much noise on interference we hear based on our detector settings and maybe how deep of a target we are able to alert on--- but even these many times are not a great measure of just how much emi is in an area

As far as trying to gauge a detector when out in the field on just how good it is,,,
The expression we don't know what we don't know applies.

Sure we have all probably went out and made some finds-- and we feel good about this

But what did we sweep our coil over--- and were never alerted??

We will never truly know the answer to the question above.

Granted we may get clues to the answer--- as detector technology advancements are made-- but never a definite answer

Metal detecting can be very fun, challenging, and boring.

It is what one makes it.

There are detectors currently available that will indeed up your odds depending on your detecting scenario.

There are detectors available that will decrease a users need to be a digging more on a whim when after desirable targets

There are targets in the ground-- nonferrous targets infact that are indeed detectable as nonferrous targets by some detectors-- not all
But these nonferrous targets can't be recognized ideally--- they could be anything i. e. A gold coin, pull tab, coin, etc.

So you see, by reading all this, it is difficult to say which one is best overall.

I will say the folks here on this forum do provide some good info on various models of detectors.

I do think anyone wanting good information-- don't base your learning on just one post, one person's opinion, on one thread,,.. But base your learning on a compilation of information.

The metal detector market has expanded here in the USA as of late.

There are many nice detectors out there.

The only thing I can say about all of them--they will all find metal

So the real question a person needs to find the answer to is to find the detector that will find/ do better at finding the type of metal they are interested in-- considering their detecting environment(s) based on their respective budget(s).

All very true, good post. To each his own. One man may connect with a MD that others don't. Each person needs to find their personal match. The only thing I know for sure is what MD doesn't match up well with surfmaster!:lol:

I think you are on the right track with your post. I also think you might be missing a few variables.

You have soil mineralization, soil dampness and the orientation the coin is in the ground.

I do mostly agree with everything you said. If you buy a detector and leave it in the closet you are not going to have as much experience on it as if you use it a lot every week. Experience and understanding what your detector is telling you is also vital

Since only two detectors fit in the category that I am usually in, the CZ-21 and the Excal it is easier to choose which one fits my needs and desires.

Could someone with an Excal do better than I do in the same environment? Quite possible. Would I do better with an Excal. I doubt it.

Mine works for me in the environment I am in. I expressly chose it for a few reasons and I haven't looked back. However the technology on both the Excal and the CZ is old and one day something awesome will come along and replace both.

Great post and lots of insight.

Mine are! What I mean by that: if I lost my arsenal and succumbed to hard times, I would scrape pennies until I could get the basic used detector-at a garage sale if possible. I'm thankful for what I have and a hobby that pays instead of takes- not to mention the health benefits!:yes:

The one you have the most confidence, fun and hours put in with, from
a Compadre to the E-Trac it does not matter which one.

The best detector is the one that works best for you.

The one you have the most confidence, fun and hours put in with, from
a Compadre to the E-Trac it does not matter which one.

X1 on these.
I feel it is the one you are most confident in no matter the cost, the soil etcc...

if you are not confident in the detector you are using then you wont be confident in what it is telling you!!!

Buy and try, you'll eventually find one, two, three that work for you.
Seems to be part of the hobby................just give them each a try for a good length of time. It may take a month or two, or less...all of a sudden you become one with the machine. Or you say, it's gone.........

So many variables in play with each machine and conditions it brought the old commercial to mind. How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center.

If there's nothing under the coil

Nothing will be found! Sounds stupid but research is the key to being successful if you want to find something other than what's found in tot lots and local parks. Good research is rewarding in itself when digging in the ground produces finds that your research said should/could be there.

Of course this is a personal opinion but I've found if good research is done and those items are there most any detector will find them. I also prefer sites that are pre pull tab, pre can slaw, pre bottle caps so I guess I would be called a relic hunter. I don't even wear Camo, relics are really hard to spook anyway so T shirts or clothing of choice works fine.

Nothing will be found! Sounds stupid but research is the key to being successful if you want to find something other than what's found in tot lots and local parks. Good research is rewarding in itself when digging in the ground produces finds that your research said should/could be there.

Of course this is a personal opinion but I've found if good research is done and those items are there most any detector will find them. I also prefer sites that are pre pull tab, pre can slaw, pre bottle caps so I guess I would be called a relic hunter. I don't even wear Camo, relics are really hard to spook anyway so T shirts or clothing of choice works fine.

Yep! Every time a new detector is released, it's placed into the hands of a field-tester(s), who happen to be members of all the MDing forums. Matter of fact, saw one recently and my 1st thought was I probably would have found the same stuff with my sub-$200 Compadre.

The fewer the units one has, the more "jack of all trades" they may be.

The more units one has, the more niche they can be but that means a trunk or truck bed full of detectors! ;)

That's true Detector. One thing though I have found to be so is that operating frequency can make a difference finding some items otherwise manufacturers wouldn't have a particular machine for small gold which is still hard to tell from anything else even with a high dollar machine.

I know at least one of the new detectors offers a choice of switching between 4 frequency choices but for the price of these machines a person could own 8 or 10 regular detectors and hire local labor to operate them.

I think there's still a lot of satisfaction in hearing a good clean edged beep knowing that it's a good signal and being surprised (pleasantly hopefully) when it pops out of the ground.

Our hobby is probably one of those where not knowing is a big part of the reason we do it in the first place.

If there is one, "best detector", I'd think it would be one that can be adjusted to any handle any condition you may find yourself and can be set to give the advantage to any metal you're searching for.

So it'd be variable frequencies, discrimination - all metal - mixed modes and control over reactivity speed, tone breaks, masking, etc. And it would be water submersible and work in salt water.

I doubt such a beast exists, but I've never used a CTX which may be close. For the money, I think the Rutus Alter is hard to beat because you do have control over all the settings. But it may not be as deep as other options and it isn't waterproof. I don't do beach hunting so I don't know how it performs in salt water. If I did, I'd probably add an Excaliber II or sell the Rutus and get a CTX.

Yeah my answer was just for fun, although I do love my ATP.

Here is an interesting, at least to me, story.

I've usually kept up with the newest technology. Not necessarily the newest detectors, but the newest detecting technology. Which by the way is a good 20 years old now. But I digress. At this time I had the latest greatest detector on the market. I was pulling some really nice stuff from some old beat up places. My hunting buddy decides its time for him to buy a new machine.

He buys the same high-end detector I'm using but just wasn't getting the coil over the right spot yet, so his finds were few. He gave up and decided to buy a cheap Compadre. He went out and first spot was a killer and he was pulling keepers right away. Now, to him he saw this as the Compadre out performing the high-end machine. If you were to ask him what he would recommend of course his answer would be the Compadre.

Moral to the story is there really is no "best" there is only what works for you. Now, with that said, I myself am a firm believe in the advantages of new technology and features when used right. Tell me that $150 detector performs just as good as a $2,000 detector and I'll assume you have no experience with the reality of detecting, but, that $150 detector may be just what you need.

Back
Top Bottom