Big Copper Blew My Mind!

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
I went today and worked a private yard. Just missed silver by 1 year on quarters, 2 on dimes, but scored a 53 wheat and a big old copper token.

Got home and looked at the token, showed my husband and parents. Husband said that's no token, it's a coin, too heavy to be just junk. Dad (my 83 year old Dad) decided to look it up on his computer (his favorite hobby now, looking up stuff and watching hog hunting videos). He came back shaking his head...

Said it's a Hu-Nan Province 50 Cash piece. I did a little looking and sure enough it looks like these were made between 1921-1931. I can't find a date, and info I could find was limited.

I'm curious if any of you real coin knowledgeable guys might know what exactly "50 cash" actually is denomination-wise. Also any other info would be awesome.

I do know it's copper, and unfortunately I dinged it a bit getting it out. It hit a 83 on the F2 and I was thinking "bolt." Gotta stop doing that!

picture.php

picture.php

Deciphering any Chinese coin can be a daunting task. You're going to have to find the coin's exact catalog number before determining any value. For starters, you're going to need much clearer pictures to get an exact date. From what I see it looks to be 1921. If you search for Henan instead of Ho-Nan, you'll get more information. If the coin said "China" instead of "Ho-Nan", you would be in some serious bucks. I wouldn't clean it yet. You'll need to get a better image though.

Deciphering any Chinese coin can be a daunting task. You're going to have to find the coin's exact catalog number before determining any value. For starters, you're going to need much clearer pictures to get an exact date. From what I see it looks to be 1921. If you search for Henan instead of Ho-Nan, you'll get more information. If the coin said "China" instead of "Ho-Nan", you would be in some serious bucks. I wouldn't clean it yet. You'll need to get a better image though.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get better pics in sunlight today. The thing is not in great shape, some of it is worn down and it's kind of sketchy to read. I appreciate the input as I don't even know a lot about US coins and not a thing at all about Chinese ones.

not quite sure what it is, but I have one that is almost the same that I found at the site of an old wharf. pics included. thanks and a very nice find. HH Steve.

Attachments

• ScanImage4244.jpg
    ScanImage4244.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,159
  • ScanImage4245.jpg
    ScanImage4245.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,153
not quite sure what it is, but I have one that is almost the same that I found at the site of an old wharf. pics included. thanks and a very nice find. HH Steve.

Wow, that's very similar as far as I can tell, mine is so worn it's difficult... Maybe it's a 200 Cash instead of a 50 Cash as we thought. Interesting....

Wow, really cool find, congrats!

PS. hate missing those silvers by a year, I have found a few 65 quarter's and dimes. :mad:

Wow, really cool find, congrats!

PS. hate missing those silvers by a year, I have found a few 65 quarter's and dimes. :mad:

Me too! Went back yesterday and only had an hour or so to hunt, didn't get silver yet just a few 60s pennies, maddening!

can you get a measurement and weight on it? mine is a hair over 1 5/8 inches across and weighs 27.4 grams. HH Steve

Just measured and mine is the same, right at 1 5/8". If I had a scale I'd weigh it, but sadly do not. I can tell you it feels pretty darn close in weight to my Morgan dollar even though it's about 1/8 inch or so larger in diameter, so I'd say it has to be close to your weight also. I looked up the weight on the Morgan and they're calling it 26.73 grams.

Just measured and mine is the same, right at 1 5/8". If I had a scale I'd weigh it, but sadly do not. I can tell you it feels pretty darn close in weight to my Morgan dollar even though it's about 1/8 inch or so larger in diameter, so I'd say it has to be close to your weight also. I looked up the weight on the Morgan and they're calling it 26.73 grams.

The difference between the 100 and 200 CASH coin is.....

The 100 has 3 varieties A) small start in the right flag; B) Tassels 5mm; C) Large star in right flag with 4mm tassels
The 100 CASH coin is 40mm

The 200 has A) large square inside the right flag; b) Small star in right flag. The 200 coin is 42mm

The Krause numbers are Y#395 for the 100 and Y#396 for the 200.

I'm betting you have the 200 (A) style, (both of you), based on everything I see. Guessing it is a 1928 based on what I see.

Krause lists it in the 36th Edition, 2009 World Coins covering 1901 to 2000, on page 405, under Republic Milled coins.

SUPER find!

Can I come hunt with you? :D

The difference between the 100 and 200 CASH coin is.....

The 100 has 3 varieties A) small start in the right flag; B) Tassels 5mm; C) Large star in right flag with 4mm tassels
The 100 CASH coin is 40mm

The 200 has A) large square inside the right flag; b) Small star in right flag. The 200 coin is 42mm

The Krause numbers are Y#395 for the 100 and Y#396 for the 200.

I'm betting you have the 200 (A) style, (both of you), based on everything I see. Guessing it is a 1928 based on what I see.

Krause lists it in the 36th Edition, 2009 World Coins covering 1901 to 2000, on page 405, under Republic Milled coins.

SUPER find!

Can I come hunt with you? :D

Awesome information, thank you very much! It's really nice of you to look that up... And yeah you can! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom