Garrett AT Gold is now water proof?

Jo ann

Elite Member
When did that happen? I've been going back and forth trying to decide which one I want, and than decided on the AT Pro... than I saw this.. http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_comparison_chart.aspx

Ok now I think I might want the AT Gold, I barely go to the seashore.. but if I did, is it impossible to use the Gold there? and What is "true all metal".

which is the better all around detector? The pro's Notch Discrim (adjustable), seems like a plus, or is it? yikes!!! help!!!:?:

When did that happen? I've been going back and forth trying to decide which one I want, and than decided on the AT Pro... than I saw this.. http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_comparison_chart.aspx

Ok now I think I might want the AT Gold, I barely go to the seashore.. but if I did, is it impossible to use the Gold there? and What is "true all metal".

which is the better all around detector? The pro's Notch Discrim (adjustable), seems like a plus, or is it? yikes!!! help!!!:?:

Each have their pros and cons. Fortunately they're both water proof. The decision is up to you of course, but it really depends on what type of hunting you want to do. If you're really not going to be hunting around the salt water, then I think I'd lean towards the AT Gold myself. I went through the same process and chose the AT Pro because I'd occasionally hunt salt water beaches.

It has always been waterproof up to 10 feet. The same as the At Pro.

Each have their pros and cons. Fortunately they're both water proof. The decision is up to you of course, but it really depends on what type of hunting you want to do. If you're really not going to be hunting around the salt water, then I think I'd lean towards the AT Gold myself. I went through the same process and chose the AT Pro because I'd occasionally hunt salt water beaches.

AAAhhh!
So first I read that it was, than I read that it wasn't, than I read that it was, I guess, it's the wet sand thing that threw me and others off. Though how can you take the Gold into a river or lake if it doesn't do wet sand?

The gold being water proof is just good safety measure maybe?

I was recently at a freshwater lake that was totally full of black sand, and it freaked out my 150, though I had fun playing with a 30lb magnet ... I digress... anyways I don't think the Gold would have done well there, and I went back and studied more on the two and I think I will do best with the pro, and maybe later get a gold or other, I just hate the thought of missing stud diamond earrings and other gold objects as I already am with the 150. I have to make this count as this will be my main MD, and maybe my only one. AND I'd kick myself when I do get to a saltwater beach and can't detect. thanks guys for the help.

AAAhhh!
So first I read that it was, than I read that it wasn't, than I read that it was, I guess, it's the wet sand thing that threw me and others off. Though how can you take the Gold into a river or lake if it doesn't do wet sand?

I was recently at a freshwater lake that was totally full of black sand, and it freaked out my 150, though I had fun playing with a 30lb magnet ... I digress... anyways I don't think the Gold would have done well there, and I went back and studied more on the two and I think I will do best with the pro, and maybe later get a gold or other, I just hate the thought of missing stud diamond earrings and other gold objects as I already am with the 150. I have to make this count as this will be my main MD, and maybe my only one. AND I'd kick myself when I do get to a saltwater beach and can't detect. thanks guys for the help.

I think you're misunderstanding. The AT Gold should have no problem with freshwater wet sand or even in the water. The saltwater is where the AT Gold has problems. In any freshwater environment then it's waterproof up to 10' just like the AT Pro. The threshold ability and stock 5x8 coil on the AT Gold is what will help you find those small objects as well. That's why most people who buy the AT Pro eventually get the optional 5x8 coil to help with small objects and trashy locations.

I think you're misunderstanding. The AT Gold should have no problem with freshwater wet sand or even in the water. The saltwater is where the AT Gold has problems. In any freshwater environment then it's waterproof up to 10' just like the AT Pro. The threshold ability and stock 5x8 coil on the AT Gold is what will help you find those small objects as well. That's why most people who buy the AT Pro eventually get the optional 5x8 coil to help with small objects and trashy locations.

Thank you for this, and I am getting the 5x8 coil too, so this info is putting my mind at rest.
P.S. I very well do misunderstand a lot about metal detectors, it's hard to get my head wrapped around it, I do well to learn through experience, maybe in a few years I will be better at it.

AAAhhh!

The AT Gold does NOT do saltwater or saltwater wet sand. It can be used in freshwater situations up to 3 meters.

I am fairly sure it can do dry sand.

As far as black sand, I am not sure about freshwater black sand. It might be the combo of saltwater and black sand that it can't do.

Best bet is to call Garrett direct. You will then know all. :yes: GL

Sounds like the AT pro is the best deal for what you want. The AT gold dont have much of an edge over the pro except for searching for small gold nuggets in a prospecting environment. Plenty of folks say they use the gold for general coinhunting etc , and they like them but they cost a little more ( unless you factor in buying an extra 5x8 coil for the pro ). Still the pro is best suited for general purpose detecting and gives more options toward it.

Back
Top Bottom