Metal Detecting in Berlin found 21 Dog Tags!

Kolbey I can't wait to see what you guys dig up next!

Keep on digin! I know there is a luger out there..

Thanks Njal! Demyansk1942 this is very true, everyone talks about the horrible things that the Nazi's did (they were beyond horrible) but nobody talks about the concentration camps in Russia. Stalin killed 20 million people and if you asked the average person if they knew about it they would tell you they had no clue. I collect to bring awareness to the subject and to teach American History. The main problem with the youth of today is everything is taught to the via computers and different forms of media. So when a high school kid opens a book and looks at boring pictures of something that they cant relate to I see that as a chance to show them something tangible something real and thats where my stuff come in...

War is a beastly business and I've had first hand experience of this in the past digging sites in the Ardennes. One of my colleagues uncovered the remains of two German soldiers, both had been tied at the wrists and then shot. In the aftermath of the Baugnez incident emotions were running high with the US troops. Sadly these two soldiers, one of whom was identified as a tank crewman, by the remains of his skull insignia on his tunic, had been murdered. It would appear that perhaps these men were taken prisoner, someone saw the black tank uniform and the deaths head lapels and thought he was waffen SS.

Sadly neither men could be positively identified and were later interred at Recogne as unknowns.

War is not a thing to take lightly...

Probably payback for the Malmedy Massacre, within a few days most Americans had heard about the SS executing the US POW"s and i'm sure very few if any SS where taken alive. Could you tell if they were 1st SS Panzer? I know that one US unit issued official orders that no SS where to be taken alive in the aftermath of the massacres.

I was watching a video on Youtube and one of the people commented that the Malmedy Massacre was a fake. Where do people come up with this stuff

I was watching a video on Youtube and one of the people commented that the Malmedy Massacre was a fake. Where do people come up with this stuff

LOL who knows, some of the SS involved admitted to some extent that it occured during the trials but I guess some guy who probably was not alive at the time know's better? :D At the trial some SS claimed the Americans tried to excape but a study of the victims found many were shot point blank in the head at close range as they lie injured on the field which pretty much destroyed that argument. It was a stupid move on behalf of those invovled, they had to know the war was all but over and within a few months if they survived they would be hunted down and tried for war crimes.

Could you tell if they were 1st SS Panzer? I know that one US unit issued official orders that no SS where to be taken alive in the aftermath of the massacres.

It's likely that he was probably from 1st SS Pz Div given the location of their field grave. He had a Panzer Assault badge among the remains of his cap! Which struck us as odd, as this award is worn on the left breast pocket. The second man was German Army, not SS. That was as much as we could ascertain. But at least they both lie among comrades now.

Awsome finds....wish I had an area around here that I could hunt that is battlefield related. but im in schwienfurt and it was almost all bombings. Keep up the great work and keep me posted I love seeing ww1 ww2 era finds.

Thanks for all the contributions to this. I didn't realize I was reading in awe. Slack-jawed, open mouthed awe. I'm humbled.

Hey thanks for looking guys, I hope to squeeze in one more trip to Berlin before I get out of the military. LR I am working some weird shifts for the next week or so but after that we should meet up on a weekend and have a hunt. CFuller3 thanks for showing intrest we got really lucky finding these like we did.

Back
Top Bottom