Where did the target go?

gfbohn

Still sorta new at this but getting the hang of my AT Pro. However ... just curious ... let's say I'm walking along swinging and I get a good high tone ... maybe an 80 or whatever. Then ... the target is gone after the initial tone and can't get it back. Guessing maybe operator error :-) or is this a common thing? Or ... is the target just a bit too deep and at borderline depth for my machine?
Thanks in advance ...
Greg

If your running with iron discriminated it could be a piece of iron that confused the machine. Next time it happens try all metal 0 iron disc and i bet you find a piece of something. I'm 9 months into the hobby and the ATPro and still learning. I think sometimes too it gets interference from something. Iv'e had mine get a good signal laying on the ground while I'm digging a plug for no reason I could find.

I have no experience with the AT Pro, but maybe a good target, such as a coin, is being masked by a target which you've discriminated, such as a nail or a bottle cap. Try swinging from another angle and see if you get a response. If you don't get a signal then try, like scooterjim has said, turning all discrimination off, and see if there's some iron there. Good luck! :grin:

If your running with iron discriminated it could be a piece of iron that confused the machine. Next time it happens try all metal 0 iron disc and i bet you find a piece of something. I'm 9 months into the hobby and the ATPro and still learning. I think sometimes too it gets interference from something. Iv'e had mine get a good signal laying on the ground while I'm digging a plug for no reason I could find.

X2 Even when on zero discrimination when I swing fast over some iron I'll get a high tone. When I hit it again slow it will show iron. That's when I know I'm going too fast!

Some trash targets like iron give a high response when your coil is not over it but on the edge of the target or even a few inches off. Agree on dropping the discrim. If you still sense the hit, try to get right on top of it using the pinpoint then rescan to analyze. Sometimes the random hit can be falsing. Especially at high sensitivities.

This is where the "iron audio" comes into play. Just push the iron audio button to hear what you have discriminated out. Also, sometimes things just make the machine "beep", whether it is some hot (mineralized) ground or a piece of rusty old nail...if you swing back across it and nothing, try a different angle. Still nothing, move on...come back another day and try again. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom