• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need Specific Advice

detroitr

Hello, I have a specific problem and thought I would ask for advice here. It seems to be a familiar story that a family member buried a jar of silver somewhere and now some one else has to find it. That some one is me, and I need a specific suggestion on which detector. I understand it is a mason jar (of course) with silver in it. It could be buried up to 3 feet in sandy soil. I would like to spend less than $600 on a new or used detector appropriate for finding something large and up to 3' deep if possible. I do have a specific area to search and it may have some junk - nails and such in the area. I have always been interested in the hobby and may jump in to it after this.
Thanks!

I believe for that depth you will need a pulse induction unit, I don't have one but the most recent one I have heard about is the Garrett ATX...maybe someone on here can attest to its ability. ..I know your other standard VLF, FBS2 machines won't normally hit that deep unless it is something huge and maybe not even then

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hello, I have a specific problem and thought I would ask for advice here. It seems to be a familiar story that a family member buried a jar of silver somewhere and now some one else has to find it. That some one is me, and I need a specific suggestion on which detector. I understand it is a mason jar (of course) with silver in it. It could be buried up to 3 feet in sandy soil. I would like to spend less than $600 on a new or used detector appropriate for finding something large and up to 3' deep if possible. I do have a specific area to search and it may have some junk - nails and such in the area. I have always been interested in the hobby and may jump in to it after this.
Thanks!

I believe for that depth you will need a pulse induction unit, I don't have one but the most recent one I have heard about is the Garrett ATX...maybe someone on here can attest to its ability. ..I know your other standard VLF, FBS2 machines won't normally hit that deep unless it is something huge and maybe not even then

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You are effectively looking for a cache at 3 foot depth, or more. If that is all you are interested in finding then a "Two Box" type detector would serve you well. It won't pick up the small trash, it won't even pick up single coins. Being basically a VLF machine, it has discrimination so you can discriminate small iron pieces. But it will easily hit a jar full of silver at 3 feet or more.

A White's TM 808 TreasureMaster is a good example of a Two Box detector. It is almost within your price range, but they can often be had used for much less.

A PI unit in a trashy area will drive you crazy and wear you out in no time, digging foil and junk at great depths.

If the area is specific enough, you have some options I think...

You might be able to use a probe to find it, like bottle diggers use...

Or remove a foot of soil and try detecting again...

<°)))>{

Yes, I have a few options it seems. I'll try to post pics if I find it, I wonder if I could rent a set up like a 2 box.

Back
Top Bottom