First box of halves...few keepers

Ron 71

Forum Supporter
With winter coming soon I figured I could use a new hobby. I enjoy reading the CRHing posts and thought I would give it a shot. I ordered a box of half dollars on saturday and they came in today, not too much to speak of but did end up with three 40%ers. Looking forward to trying again, maybe some dimes next time. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
tax%202013%20jsk%20007_zpsfsoqoj9o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Three keepers in a box is pretty good!
Believe it or not I used to throw the 40's back (35 years ago).

Thanks for throwing them all back. Every time I read how many times you mention (we used to throw them 40%ers back) I smile!
I have almost 1,000 of them. Thanks Sir.
Lol! No seriously, its all about the hunt and having fun. Everyone likes a small treasure hunt on a weekly basis.

A few 40%ers is common per box. Thats descent. Getting 15 skunk boxes in a row is what you want to avoid. The year total tally is near and like last year I will post up the haul. Not quite as good as last year, I will take it though. Along with a few surprises.
HH DD

Congrats on the silver. Welcome to the addiction.
Thanks MaddMan, Always enjoy your posts.
Thank you amc, Yeah I was ok with that, I assume 35 years ago there were alot more 90%ers in the mix
Thanks for throwing them all back. Every time I read how many times you mention (we used to throw them 40%ers back) I smile!
I have almost 1,000 of them. Thanks Sir.
Lol! No seriously, its all about the hunt and having fun. Everyone likes a small treasure hunt on a weekly basis.

A few 40%ers is common per box. Thats descent. Getting 15 skunk boxes in a row is what you want to avoid. The year total tally is near and like last year I will post up the haul. Not quite as good as last year, I will take it though. Along with a few surprises.
HH DD
I look forward to seeing the year end haul

Congrats Ron!! how does one get these boxed halves? I cleaned all the local banks of rolls a while back.

Congrats Ron!! how does one get these boxed halves? I cleaned all the local banks of rolls a while back.

Thanks remmy! If you ask the teller they will order you a box, I don't know if you have to be a customer of that bank or not, I have a mortgage thru a credit union and asked them

Quote:
"Thank you amc, Yeah I was ok with that, I assume 35 years ago there were alot more 90%ers in the mix."

Based on my experience, there weren't. I was 17 in 1980 and a roll hunter, along with a lot of others - 18% interest rates and a recession 'goin on. But, $50 silver! 90%'ers sure were hard to come by, and long lines of folks in front of the LCS waiting to sell their silver after seeing the full-page newspaper ads 'sell us your silver!'

The Hunts wanted as close to .999 fine as they could get, in their goal to corner the silver market. 40% halves had to be refined, so they weren't in big demand. Nowadays, junk silver just changes hands over and over; in my opinion there isn't a whole lot going to the smelter.

I found more silver the first month roll hunting in 2009, than I did all year in 1980. Too much competition.

We may have to wait a long time for $50 silver again. I've seen it twice in my lifetime. Once, when it was manipulated up. The second time driven up by fear.

That is a good box with 3 40%ers! As you get more experienced in CRHing you will look back and say, "I did not realize I had it so good!" :lol::lol:

KT would just beam if He could get that kind of average on a regular basis...in fact He might up the anty to 10 boxes a week instead of 5! :shock:

Anywho, Royal Congrats for starting out and with results like that, KT would not start fooling around with dimes, etc until He hit a dry streak on the halves. But each to his own...KT's eyes are such that He is much more comfortable reading the dates on the halves...no edge hunting here...KT finds 87 Kens and NIFCs edgemarked all the time by edge hunters...also, Proofs, some of them very nice. His Majesty just hopes they keep that up, so that in their turn-in coins there are still collectable goodies present! HA HA

3 in a box is a good start, congrats! Any box that isn't a silver skunker is a good box.

Timing is key, but that's mostly luck...so volume is your best bet at hitting a "treasure box."

Anytime you get free silver is a good day in my book! :D
I hear that, Looking forward to the next box
Quote:
"Thank you amc, Yeah I was ok with that, I assume 35 years ago there were alot more 90%ers in the mix."

Based on my experience, there weren't. I was 17 in 1980 and a roll hunter, along with a lot of others - 18% interest rates and a recession 'goin on. But, $50 silver! 90%'ers sure were hard to come by, and long lines of folks in front of the LCS waiting to sell their silver after seeing the full-page newspaper ads 'sell us your silver!'

The Hunts wanted as close to .999 fine as they could get, in their goal to corner the silver market. 40% halves had to be refined, so they weren't in big demand. Nowadays, junk silver just changes hands over and over; in my opinion there isn't a whole lot going to the smelter.

I found more silver the first month roll hunting in 2009, than I did all year in 1980. Too much competition.

We may have to wait a long time for $50 silver again. I've seen it twice in my lifetime. Once, when it was manipulated up. The second time driven up by fear.
Good point, I had forgotten the price of silver was thru the roof.

That is a good box with 3 40%ers! As you get more experienced in CRHing you will look back and say, "I did not realize I had it so good!" :lol::lol:

KT would just beam if He could get that kind of average on a regular basis...in fact He might up the anty to 10 boxes a week instead of 5! :shock:

Anywho, Royal Congrats for starting out and with results like that, KT would not start fooling around with dimes, etc until He hit a dry streak on the halves. But each to his own...KT's eyes are such that He is much more comfortable reading the dates on the halves...no edge hunting here...KT finds 87 Kens and NIFCs edgemarked all the time by edge hunters...also, Proofs, some of them very nice. His Majesty just hopes they keep that up, so that in their turn-in coins there are still collectable goodies present! HA HA
Thank you KT! i always enjoy your posts, No edge hunting for me either, no fun in it that way I like to see every coin.
3 in a box is a good start, congrats! Any box that isn't a silver skunker is a good box.

Timing is key, but that's mostly luck...so volume is your best bet at hitting a "treasure box."
Thanks TorqueMaster!

Back
Top Bottom