• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What do I have ?

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
Found these two items close by to each other within 4 feet

this is what I know.

1) Non Magnetic
2) Heavy (127 and 135 grams)
3) Edges are in somewhat of a v shape like ">" but due to corrosion not sharp
4) Not soft like lead at all
5) rings up 32 On NOX

inside is shiny as you can see by my scratches

I thought Steel but some say steel is not magnetic, if mixed with Nickel so I did a Nickel test with solution I have for testing Meteorites and it is Negative for Nickel.

When I first dug it up I thought it looked like a Spear top (the bottom one) but I just have no Idea.

any thoughts?

thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Whats it.jpg
    Whats it.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 372
looks like lead/pewter to me?

Thanks TP.. I don't think it is Leas as it is not soft at all.. Pewter.. don't know

could be very old bronze points, but not seeing much green

V1i8fBOb4kBpcSqHbsd0GeWiBPsyUkkAT83Seo8d-sA=w1228-h643-no

Thanks Beach.. I don't think it is Bronze as it has that Silvery color. but the shape reminds me of what you have pictured.. which made me think spear head.

Thanks TP.. I don't think it is Leas as it is not soft at all.. Pewter.. don't know

Thanks Beach.. I don't think it is Bronze as it has that Silvery color. but the shape reminds me of what you have pictured.. which made me think spear head.

Just like any other metal, lead and pewter can be hard and brittle, or soft and malleable depending on the cooling process. pewter tends to be harder than lead. There is also another metal that i am blanking on that was used back in the day that was low melting point like lead but a bit harder.

Just like any other metal, lead and pewter can be hard and brittle, or soft and malleable depending on the cooling process. pewter tends to be harder than lead. There is also another metal that i am blanking on that was used back in the day that was low melting point like lead but a bit harder.

Most lead I have seen with age gets that whitish color..
I was hoping the Crustieness would ring a bell with someone..

TP THANKS for your interest ..much appreciated

I am just speaking from experience of digging 1800's cellars, where blobs of old lead/pot metal are abundant. I often find lead or lead-like alloys that resemble what you found, not in shape per say, but in the patina and characteristics you describe. ones that look like yours when broken often have a crystalline looking structure to the metal.

I am just speaking from experience of digging 1800's cellars, where blobs of old lead/pot metal are abundant. I often find lead or lead-like alloys that resemble what you found, not in shape per say, but in the patina and characteristics you describe. ones that look like yours when broken often have a crystalline looking structure to the metal.

Cool Thanks !!

As to the shape.. seeing that they are both approximately the same size and shape.. seems deliberate to me otherwise I would just chalk it up to slag.

Would think it has to be fairly old to develop the crusty.

Back
Top Bottom