1st Hunt With Sovereign GT!!

Cupajo

Elite Member
Right after my morning cup a jo I hunted the wet/dry sand along the waterline and high tide line.

I began in all metal to get a feel for how the GT reacts to iron and then finished in iron mask paying attention to what the fine little machine was telling me.

A clad dime was my first coin and the GT gave me a loud and clear response leaving no doubt that I needed to dig!

The smallest bits of aluminum sounded even louder than the dime to my ears!

A silver nickel, a silver ring and a small apparently silver ear? clip of some sort rounds out the days take.

I buried several gold rings in the wet sand to get an idea of what signal I should listen for and now I'm ready for another hunt.

GL&HH Friends,

CJ

Attachments

• Misc 003 (Large).jpg
    Misc 003 (Large).jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 333
  • Misc 005 (Large).jpg
    Misc 005 (Large).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 325
  • Misc 009 (Large).jpg
    Misc 009 (Large).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 328
  • Misc 008 (Large).jpg
    Misc 008 (Large).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 333
Cupajo so what do you think about
your new machine?

Good assortment of finds there to familiarize
you with the sounds that little blue box makes.

Good looking hunt except for the Bobbiepins CJ lol... you know using the GT in discriminate is deeper than running in all metal at least for me... running all metal doesn't impress me... the tiny pieces of cans are a low tone and foil is even lower... edited to add... you are talking about melted cans yeah they sound good too good ;)

Get used to the low tones, gold is low, stainless is lower and very distinct too. Glad to hear you like the sov gt, heck of a machine.

Gt loot!!

NICE HUNT!! Man is everyone buying SOV.GT's? I have used a water proof one MAX built and sold to my buddy in VA Beach...I did like it..he had a big coil on it..it was deep,easy to swing chest-mount & straight shaft. Good luck and happy hunting with your new toy CJ!!

Finding a silver ring the first time out with a new detector is a great start. Finding nickles is a good sign too as they should sound like big gold rings. HH!

You had a great first hunt with the GT! You did really well on the finds, looking forward to seeing you hit some gold with it.

Nice digs. I got a GT coming either today or tomorrow. Can't wait to take it to the beach and see how it works out.

I hunt with mine in all metal just to locate targets as this machine is incredible at sniffing out targets. A quick flip to iron mask will save you time by not digging junk. My first week out landed me a 14k band with 17 diamonds. Just listen for the subtleties in the threshold and go after it...

HH

JC

Not many people can speak the language on their first hunt! You did very very well........... For a test, after you hunt a certain area, put it in all metal pinpoint and see what you left behind:D Superb hunt there

Once you get used to the machine and start using the Disc control you will maximize your hunting time and find more keeper type stuff. Disc out iron is what I do. The lowest setting on the Excal is 1 and that is what I do. You can go higher but there is not much trash where I hunt. Your GT is almost the same machine but you have notch settings I believe. Forget the notch for now, disc iron and when you hear a null you know you saved a dig for nothing. If you are relic hunting then dig it all. I beach hunt and this is where your machine does better than most. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your finds as you advance as I am trying to do myself.

Good looking hunt except for the Bobbiepins CJ lol... you know using the GT in discriminate is deeper than running in all metal at least for me... running all metal doesn't impress me... the tiny pieces of cans are a low tone and foil is even lower... edited to add... you are talking about melted cans yeah they sound good too good ;)
I have read this from you on many posts and to me also. "I find the Disc mode is deeper for me"...Today I hit a high pitch but somewhat faint target in Disc mode on the Excal. I figured it was deep due to the volume of the tone and could tell it was aluminum or silver. I do not switch to PP unless I can not find the target after several scoops. I am trying to never use it if I can.

I started to dig and after 10 scoops my target got a little louder on Disc but I had not retrieved the target yet. I switched to PP and it was fainter. Turns out I dug over 2 feet for a piece of thick aluminum about 1 foot by 6 inches probably 1/8 inch thick, possible a piece from an alien space craft or a NASA launch vehicle. :D Olive Drab green paint. I got on my knees and reached up to my armpit to retrieve the target. Why did PP sound fainter than Disc at 2 feet?

Disc is the only way I hunt and probably will not change that. Your advise to hunt with Disc is great advise to me and I thank you for sharing. My excal rivals my Sand Shark PI some times. It really does. Just I don't go home now worn out since I can walk away from iron crap by disc iron. It has made a huge difference to me. :D

It's nice to see I am not alone in appreciating this fine little machine!!

It reminds me of the Infinium LS in many ways.

Having learned the LS's signals is making it easier for me to understand what the Sovereign is telling me.

Hunting has meant mostly "water hunting" for me since I started all those years ago and the GT is opening a whole world of possibilities for me.

There are times when the water hasn't cooperated and I didn't have a good "dry land" machine that could handle iron which kept me away from old home-sites etc.

As mentioned above I started in all metal as part of my learning process, but later switched to descriminate after I had enough nails etc.!

I'm really excited about this next phase of my Hunting adventure!

Many thanks for all your kind posts and information about this machine!

Today looks like it may be a good water hunt day and the Dual Field is waiting...........stay tuned.:grin:

Regards and best wishes to all of you,

CJ

Good job Cupajo! I think you'll like that new GT of yours....I love mine been using it for bout 5 years now and it does the job !! Just do yourself a favor don't put the GT through the abuse that you are putting the Diablo through....LOL....Greg keeps me posted on how you are torturing yours.....I don't have the rocky beaches that you do....So i have to be content with testing my Diablo in the "wet cement" and clam shell wetsand on our jersey shore beaches.....keep up the good work !!....Brian

Hi Brian,

Most of my recent water hunting has been in loose sand and the Diablo has been a pleasure to use.

There haven't been a large number of targets, but when I do dig most of them are in the first scoop I dig.

When winter storms move the sand away Diablo and I will both get a real workout!!

Thanks for your reply,

CJ

Back
Top Bottom