1st hunt with Sea Hunter

Awendaw

Forum Supporter
Found 1 nickel, 3 pennies and about 10 bobbi pins. All targets were less than 10 inches. Might have been swinging too fast. Any tips for using this machine?

If you are just starting out with the SH, I would hunt in Discrete Trash Elimination at first with Elimination set no higher than 3 and threshold just barley audible. Swing slow to where there is no falsing. Listen for faint deep tones.

After you are comfortable with the machine, you can switch to standard mode, but it will be noisier. Slow your swing down and play with the settings until it is as quite as you can get it without taking elimination above 3.

If you are hearing only surface targets...possible your threshold it to loud, or swinging to fast. Slow down and listen for faint signals, or just a blank spot in your threshold tone. If the threshold is too loud you will not hear the drop off (blank spot).

I used both modes today but when in standard mode with threshhold just barely audible tone not very steady. I did figure out I was swinging too fast at first. I should also listen for the thhreshold blanking out also?

Yes, do listen for drop offs on the threshold for deeper targets. I have been hunting for many years and it took me several hours to get use to the SH. It is not a machine that will be mastered in the first couple of hunts. If it falses, slow your swing down. If it continues to false, increase your Elimination. I think the Standard mode is too noisy to learn how the SH really works, but that is just my opinion. My hunting partner only hunts is Discrete Elimination and does very well.

Loud beeps are not the only tones for any metal detector. Learning the tones when the detector is saying " I have a target deeper than I can identify" is where many of your "good" targets will be found and almost always missed by the average guy swinging a metal detector.

The first time i took my sea hunter ii out i was amazed that people still used bobby pins, i had never found one before...

Back
Top Bottom