200,000 Nickels anyone?

brooklynct2003

I am told that the counterfeits are worth more now than the originals. Question is.... how does one get to them at the bottom of a river. I would assume you would need diving gear, if it hasn't already been tried. Could be a very profitable excersize for those that dare.

An unofficial variety of the wartime nickel dated 1944 was made in 1954 when counterfeit nickels were produced by Francis LeRoy Henning of Erial, New Jersey. He had previously been arrested for counterfeiting $5 bills. The 1944 nickels were quickly spotted since Henning neglected to add the large mintmark. He also made counterfeit nickels dated 1939, 1946, 1947 and 1953. It is estimated that more than 100,000 of Henning's nickels reached circulation. These can still be found in pocket change, and there is a thriving collectors' market for them, although owning a counterfeit is technically illegal. Henning dumped another 200,000 nickels in Copper Creek, New Jersey, of which only 14,000 were recovered. Another 200,000 are thought to have been dumped in the Schuylkill River. When caught, Henning was sentenced to 3 years in jail, and had to pay a $5,000 fine.

ooops - sorry. didn't see the old thread. Moderator has my consent to take this one down.

Nah, it's worth mentioning twice. ;)

But if the other 200,000 were recovered, they would no longer be rare and valuable right?

It used to be that Connecticut Coppers were rare. Nowadays, seems everyone and there brother has found one.

Carol K said:

But if the other 200,000 were recovered, they would no longer be rare and valuable right?

It used to be that Connecticut Coppers were rare. Nowadays, seems everyone and there brother has found one.
Actually they would be confiscated by the Treasury since they are counterfeit. Yah think if that many were dumped in, some would be turning up :?:

I'm with you on this one OZ. I would lean towards Henning having dumped 20,000 thousand and telling the treasury agents that he dumped 200,000 thousand to keep them busy looking for something not there.

Still a great old tale none the less. And even if my theory is correct that would leave 6,000 of the fakes in the river still. If a person was to only pull a dozen or so they wouldn't get to much attention from the Tres. Dept. As well as not flooding the market and causing a price drop in the 'coins'.

Carol K said:

wait i haven't found one yet

brooklynct2003 said:
ooops - sorry. didn't see the old thread. Moderator has my consent to take this one down.

Heck! My neighbor and me swap the same stories every 2 weeks over beers. Enjoy em more each week. :lol: I wonder how you tell if you have a fake? Just the mint mark?

Jack

200,00 Nickels anyone?

<<Another 200,000 are thought to have been dumped in the Schuylkill River.>>

Wow! I can see the Schuykill River from where I am. They didn`t mention where he dumped them in the river, did they?? lol.

Not sure if they are the same ones but . Some very smart counterfieters made a ton of nickels but they put more silver in than the goverment mint did and thiers were worth more than the goverment

I've seen one of the 1944 counterfeits. It is in the private collection of a coin dealer I know. I told him that I thought that the Treasury Department would confiscate it if they saw it, but he said it was OK for him to have it. It wasn't for sale.

Not only was it missing the P over the dome of Monticello, it just didn't look right, period.

-- Tom

Found one

Not the actual coin, but some pics.:D

Attachments

• henning.JPG
    henning.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,517
  • henning2.JPG
    henning2.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,497

Its not the price that would intrest me its the history of the coins that realy count. how often do you find a coin that you know the history behind it? ;)

Back
Top Bottom