I have no need for a buddy

Who’s gonna stand on lookout when you’re hunting private property without permission?

Yup. That's why they invented 2-way radio walkie talkies. That you can put the earbud under your earphone muff after all ! Allows the md'rs to chit-chat back and forth, at a distance, without breaking your stride :cool3:

Not that * I * would ever use them for that purpose (ie.: present company excepted ) . But someone else *might* have friends that have used that system. Just sayin' ... :aok:

If you ask me, that's not a reflection of "whether or not it's a good idea to have hunting buddies". Instead, that's a reflection of "Gee, I guess I need to be more careful in picking who I invite".

I too have had a few bad experiences when looping other md'rs in. But I don't conclude from that : "Therefore, I'll never hunt with others". :roll: Instead it just reminds me to be careful. Because in the end, the benefits far-outweigh any possible bad apples.

Sorry Tom, but to easy.
I've passed that point. I have been very careful. Tried for a long time. Which brought me more trustworthy huntingbuddies ... i thought, now gone at the end. Even my best, long time (many years), most trustworthy pall eventually betrayed me.

Tried it enough, with always disappointing results. I don't bother anymore.

Sounds negative, but it is what i have experienced and my personal oppinion. And i am good and happy with it.

When hunting with other's your not so sure about, DONT BRING THEM TO YOUR HONEY HOLE :laughing: this is the end result, guys that get bent out of shape about there spots being hammered without them. If you are hunting with a buddy, its almost expected they will return to a spot without you. Alot of people just dont know how to do their own research and find their own spots, so they look for hunting buddies that already did the work for them. Sad, but true... Happens daily...

I have a lot more fun when it's Toad and I. We share interesting finds and talk, and have a chuckle.

As for hunting permissions without my partner Toad.....yeah I will do it, and on Toad doesn't mind, and Toad knows that I don't mind him going. The way I see it when I find permissions I always make sure there are 2 of us, and Toad is always welcome to hit them willy nilly whenever he wants. Doesn't bother me a bit. I enjoy when he plucks something good from any of them.

When hunting with other's your not so sure about, DONT BRING THEM TO YOUR HONEY HOLE :laughing: this is the end result, guys that get bent out of shape about there spots being hammered without them. If you are hunting with a buddy, its almost expected they will return to a spot without you.

Yeah, that's clear and easy.

I even had two hunting buddies which didn't.
We shared our spots. We researched together to find honey holes together. We dug them empty together. For many years. We've found medieval, roman, celtic, ironage, all together.
But eventually .... :sadbye: Even then.

But for what do you need a hunting body other than helping eachother finding nice stuff? Not for digging that 1960's coin day after day, year after year, which i can easily do by myself.

So i can understand topic starter.

Tried it enough, with always disappointing results. I don't bother anymore....

Then wow. If this is how all the md'rs and/or people are, in general, in your part of Europe, then I'm glad I don't live there. Because ... over where I'm at, it's safe to make friends.

... expected they will return to a spot without you. ...

This might sound crazy, but I have almost the exact OPPOSITE problem. Over here, where I'm at, if a red-hot old-town demolition site starts up, it seems I can get on a megaphone to all the md'rs in the area. And will be lucky if a single one shows up to check it out.

Same for beach erosion : I find a spot that's eroding and turning up scores of targets. I call a bunch of buddies, post it on our local forum ("Come one ! Come all"), yet am lucky if I get a single taker to accompany me.

I can recall only a single time, that I told someone "don't go without me", yet found out that he'd gone on his own despite my wishes. But for all other times (in over 40 yrs. md'ing), have not had the back-stabber experiences that you speak of.

While out hunting alone, I can’t even put up with myself.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I usually hunt alone, but only because I'm moving about all the time so I'm rarely in range of my mentor/original hunting buddy. I'd certainly prefer to hunt with him or others. It's just more fun in my opinion, but to each their own!
It's sad to hear the back stabby stories.

I think the OP was either angry, or just stirring the pot [emoji2957]

What cought my attention when I first read it was the fact that he mentioned he was a "man." Maybe it's not macho to have a buddy? Don't know. Who knows, but this thread has been fun and taken on a life of its own [emoji846]

hh to all you loners and everyone else as well!

Then wow. If this is how all the md'rs and/or people are, in general, in your part of Europe, then I'm glad I don't live there. Because ... over where I'm at, it's safe to make friends.

Here's a lot to find on relatively few ground, with many detectorists.
In my early years i could hunt down a field for a whole season and found a lot. Last about 10 years i have to run to not be to late. Max 3-4 days, but some honey pots are hunted by several groups at day one after harvest.
Competition is huge. expecially last 10 years. And the nice finds are not even 25% from what it once was.

So yes here it is huge sport to find unknown hotspots which no one knows. Would be (and was) nice with a hunting buddy to help each other with that, but in the long term that simply doesn't work. I wish it was different.

Having a hunting partner isn't like a tennis partner. You may hunt the same places at the same time but likely doing your own thing from hundreds of yards apart.

It's about sharing research, permissions, and the satisfactioin of a good hunt...or commiserating over a bad one.

When you mostly depend on private permissions, having some hunting buddies opens up some other places to detect for everyone, even if it's just a one-time opportunity.

am I the only man that does not need a hunting buddy?
I do not need or want a hunting buddy or do I want to join a club!

I also enjoy the solitude of hunting alone, as far as clubs go, " I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member":lol:

Last edited:
The top five things that make for a good hunting buddy:
1. They have a passion for the hobby!
2. Their willingness to knock on doors too.
3. Their willingness to also drive on hunts.
4. They don't get mad if you find a bucket lister of theirs.
5. (Most important) They are just fun people to be around.

There is nothing worse than driving two hours with someone who hates the world. JMO

.... as far as clubs go, " I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member"

Well this club (aka FMDF) has allowed you in as a member. Yet I see you have 125 posts here so far. You seem to be availing yourself of this "club", eh ?

Back
Top Bottom