• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help..T2 vs AtPro vs X-terra 705

mrmerck

I currently own a Fisher F4 which was my first and only detector.Found a lot of cool stuff with it over the 4 years I`ve owned it but I am ready to upgrade. I like to coin hunt and would like to find something that will go a bit deeper than the F4. I realize the Nox 600 is probably the "hot" detector these days but I also read the frustration stories of the learning curve, not that all detectors don`t have some mastering requirements.
Of the 3 mentioned above ...which one considering?

1. I live in Virginia
2. Don`t plan to water hunt
3. Hunt mostly coins
4. Do not want a steep learning curve
5. Thinking used..$450-$600 range

Hoping some of you with experience in any of the 3 will weigh in

Since you know the fisher why not get a T 2 or F75? I had a F70 but just didn't gell with it as well as my At pro.
I am sure the Fishers are better.
I never used a X terra.
The Equinox is more like the Fisher to me except a friendlier menu system.:grin:

Hi,
those are some really nice detectors you have picked out. Teknetics website has the Patriot(=F70) and the T2 Classic at prices that are well within your price range. They are a big step up from your F4 and those are new detectors with a 5 year warranty. It would be hard to find a new AT Pro under $500 but used would definitely fall in your range. For $50 more than your upper limit you could buy a brand new Equinox 600 from several online dealers. Since the Equinox models were introduced the prices for the X-Terra 705 have dropped quite a bit. You could easily find a new one or nearly new to fit inside your price range and maybe get more than one frequency coil.

The Patriot and T2 Classic are great detectors. They are quite a bit more sparky than your F4, can get a little noisy in bad EMI and can be hard to tame in the beginning. Once you are used to them they are very capable coin machines and are excellent for relics too.

The AT Pro is also a great detector. If you don't need waterproofing though why would you need one? Part of the price you pay for it involves the waterproof features. If you are undecided about waterproofing you can get a new Equinox 600 for a similar price which has a lot more features than the AT Pro. I have used both and still own the Equinox. It has not made any comparable detectors obsolete, but I can tell you for a fact it sure makes it hard for me to want to hunt with any of my other detectors including my XP Deus.

The X-Terra 705 is an amazing detector because of its ability to change frequencies by using different coils. My only beef with it is the recovery speed/target separation felt sluggish to me compared to the Teknetics and especially the Nox 600. Otherwise, it is a versatile, deep, very refined detector that can do just about anything except submerged water hunt.

You really can't go wrong with any of these. If you decide it's just too much money at the moment the F44 is a smaller but good step up from the F4 too and $150 cheaper than the T2 Classic. Personally I would buy the Patriot (F70)
since it is probably the best detector on the market for less than $400 new.

Jeff

Last edited:
No matter what machine I use I go slow.i usto just swing fast with the f70,f75 and machines that are fast reset,and by doing that I missed a ton of good targets.
The Xterra is probably your best bet out if the 3 you mentioned.It definitely has the best discrimination.

Last edited:
Hi woodbutcher,

I totally agree with you on the three that the poster chose. The X-Terra would be my choice too. Its discriminated modes are almost too good. It is one of the reasons that I eventually sold mine. It was too quiet even in All Metal. I like a little threshold/static in the background most of the time but that's just me having grown up on prospecting detectors. It's one reason that I suggested the Patriot/f70 and the Equinox 600. They are two very affordable detectors that let the user choose from almost silent search to lots of noise according to the users' preference.

Jeff

I currently own a Fisher F4 which was my first and only detector.Found a lot of cool stuff with it over the 4 years I`ve owned it but I am ready to upgrade. I like to coin hunt and would like to find something that will go a bit deeper than the F4. I realize the Nox 600 is probably the "hot" detector these days but I also read the frustration stories of the learning curve, not that all detectors don`t have some mastering requirements.
Of the 3 mentioned above ...which one considering?

1. I live in Virginia
2. Don`t plan to water hunt
3. Hunt mostly coins
4. Do not want a steep learning curve
5. Thinking used..$450-$600 range

Hoping some of you with experience in any of the 3 will weigh in

Get the 600. You will have no problems learning it, and if you find out it’s not for you, it’s easy to sell and recover your money.

Back
Top Bottom