detector was confiscated

Are you kidding me! OK, so i tell them im not giving them the drone. Next they would have arrested me for the detector ( and that fine ranges from $50 bucks to $10,000) Then they would have impounded my truck and possibly even charged me with theft from park property. ....and all that's for starters.

I was in the park off season. the park cop told me when he ran the plate he knew the name and they already had a stop and hold on me. They sat on that dune in the rain for over an hour waiting for me to come back. I was 3 miles down the beach.

Your right it is shady and they set me up good. Its all about upping their Stats for the year. I know the deal...Im in law enforcement and i've seen this done before...More arrests, more tickets all to promote your career,but never giving any thought to the damage you have caused others.

and yes i did break the law that day because i had a metal detector

Weather they have the right or not they could have conficated or impounded if i was arrested on park property. Even if they were wrong nothing happens to them and i have to pay some lawyer to get it back.

Example: i know a guy who was diving for lobsters with out a permit. He was caught and they conficated everything boat, scuba gear and all. Right or wrong in that situation its gonna cost you big bucks to get back.

Maybe you dont see it from my end, when you weigh it all out they had the ability to make my life alot worse then i could make theirs.

why would they take your truck?
Some LEO's are on a power trip. It would also deter others from intentionally or inadvertently making the same infraction if they were to hear of it.

Mass has a long history of property snagging! You would be surprised how many deer hunters have been bagged in the Quabbin watershed area and had guns,trucks taken. gotta do your home work and know where you are. I had a gal try and set me up through another site for hunting in the state forrest. (she works for the state and was fishing!) I have written permission to be where I was! And carry it. be carefull.

Silly tid bit...I know the thread is dead atm. But you can possess a fire arm on the national seashore...but not a detector. What silly fool did that legal algebra. I am pro firearm...just more pro detector then anything. Anyway...HH and glad to read this thread. I won't go near national seashore.

Great read, basically sounds like there are so many laws out there that not everyone even knows them. If they want to enforce a law there should be signs out saying something isn't allowed. I read thru this whole thread pretty quickly but never noticed the OP mentioning anything of signs saying detecting wasn't allowed. Only saw others saying it was common knowledge.
So if you don't know where to find these laws then your out of luck. Too many laws it what causes trouble. You can't expect everyone to know them and understand them all.
And I'm sure in other cases law enforcement could just pull out of their a** that something isn't allowed even though it is, they just want to be stupid like that.
As far as finding the drone and them not caring where it was, maybe they knew and are embarassed by the fact one was found. Stuff like that should be disposed of properly and maybe it was just buried there.

All in all, if they want to enforce a law, then have signs up that make it aware to the people who don't go researching all the laws.

I think they should confiscte the drone, give your detector back to you, and then HIRE you to find more artifacts and get the museum rolling!

Why are they so worried about you "giving" the drone back? Seems that they should be able to get a judge to order its seizure and come and take it. Maybe they know something you don't and perhaps you should see a lawyer.

Quotes that hit home...

...The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Ayn Rand

...There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice.
Charles de Montesquieu

Shades of the Texas case

Welcome to the middle of the infamous and always-heated "us vs. the archies" (archies=archaeologists) and "us vs. the public land laws" arguments that have been raging -- sometimes violently, post-wise -- for decades in this hobby. Long story short, the law always wins.

Yes, we ALL would do whatever we can to help preserve history and donate hundreds of hours of our time and detecting expertise to help archaeologists and museum people find, recover and preserve local/national history. In a lot of respects, an appreciation for local history is why we got interested in detecting in the first place. Sometimes they welcome our help, but most times they don't. But the key here is when in sensitive areas, you have to go by *their* agenda and needs, not yours or this hobby's -- even if it's clear that they're leaving great artifacts that would contribute to this history left to rot in the ground, or have no interest at all for whatever reasons they have. Those e-mails that suddenly stopped was a clue to that lack of interest.

This reminds me of a HUGE case -- debated endlessly and heatedly in a different forum elsewhere -- about 6 or 8 years ago when two detector guys were caught diving in a lake around a long-lost (but nonetheless federally protected) sunken Civil War fort in Texas. It got REALLY ugly beyond even Civil War standards and really, quite embarrassing for everyone who debated the whole thing, myself included. What happened to you (detectors confiscated, fines and citations, court date, etc.) was *exactly* the same thing that happened to them, in the same order of events, even down to the rangers' ambush and then handling it in the exact-same sh!tty way. They *knew* there was once a fort there and were intentionally hunting outside the original perimeter (and therefore well outside protected land) for relics if I recall right, but that case revolved around a major question of where the boundaries actually were then and where they today and whether these guys actually *were* hunting on federally-protected land because, well, the government couldn't seem to make up its mind on where the fort actually is now.

This went on for a good 2 years of court dates and hearings and depositions and all sorts of discomfort for the 2 detecting guys because they decided there was a principle here and they were 100% right and the government sucks and blahblahblah. Needless to say, in the end they lost decisively and ended up spending many thousands of dollars of their own money in the process -- along with a good sum in donations from sympathetic forum individuals.

Mostly tho, when all is said and done, it's a federal offense to detect anywhere along a National Seashore for any reason. Working approved and onsite with archies on a project is about the only way around that one, but clearly you weren't. If it was me in your situation, I wouldn't fight it because clearly you were in violation of the law no matter how noble your intentions, and appeal to the judge with your story because, on the bright side, it isn't likely you'll end up in prison or anything -- consider it a giant lesson learned. Just don't hold it too much against the law like a lot of other people have. They were doing their job as the law demands they do (altho I agree they definitely SHOULD have treated you better) -- and as a law enforcement officer, I'm sure you more than any of us can appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom