• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Soil moisture and depth

Grumpysrb

Forum Supporter
We haven't had much rain here. Had a short cloud burst a couple days ago, but you couldn't tell when digging. The soil is either dust or hard as a rock, with a few places under tree and around building, where the soil comes up in small dry clumps. There's no way to dig a plug. I just have to lift the grass and dig the soil away, replace the soil and flip the grass back over it. Funny thing is they say we are only 3 inches below normal. This may be the third year in a row we reach drought conditions.

Anyway, I also noticed I haven't found a coin below between 4 and 6 inches. Where a month ago and before, in wetter conditions, I was finding coins as deep as 8 inches and occasionally deeper.

If it gets drier, if possible, will the depth be lesser?

Moister ground does help with your depth,in my opinion once the ground does become really dry depth can vary but i have still dug some targets down to 6" but mainly only around 3-4" in depth in real dry ground.

i agree with everyone although I dont know what digging in dry dirt would be like. I think were now over 12" surplus of rain this year...

Where are you from Slug? Here in GA, we ran out of Cats and Dawgs a long time ago. Can't get a break to go digging after work! By the time I get everything out and head out...Boom! Saw a man this morning at 6:45 MD beside an old church! Do what ya have to do! I too have noticed the unusually deep readings I'm getting.

Tough time of year for many. We been fortunate this year. A bit of rain here and thee. But, last summer... ooophhh. A lot like our winters here, just have to wait it out. Or get into the water!!

soft soil

Here in the rain forests of central america we get 200 to 300 inches of rain a year so the soil is always easy to dig. I feel for you guys that have to dig soil that is harder than the metal you use to dig with. Best of luck to you guys. slider.......

Back
Top Bottom