Permissions

TargetDeep

Elite Member
Im new the forum and also new to MDing with 2 hunts under my belt. I recently read a post on the forum where a member did a short hunt by stopping at a church and hunting it. My question is; Are churches typically areas you can hunt without permission (unless posted), like a school playground etc?

Also, there was a member who posted here inquiring about what exactly to write or say when gaining permission. However, no one answered his question. So what do you say when gaining permission? Do you say that your a historian, treasure hunter, Metal Detecting Enthusiast, etc... How do you approach explaining what you will do with your findings? For instance, will the owner say yes you can hunt but I want all findings? Do most owners say go for it and thats that, or split the findings etc? Im just really curious to find out the best way to approach home or land owners. Thank you all in advance.... Target

It's always better to ask permission to hunt churches since they are not really public property. I just walk up and say my hobby is hunting for old coins in the ground. I stress that I will pick up all trash on the ground and all that I dig up, and will dispose of said trash properly. I stress that I am not going to destroy the lawn and that all my holes will be filled and invisible after digging. I also explain that I am usually not digging more than 6 inches down and will not be making any large excavations. Most pastors have been very nice to me and I have received permission for a lot of churches. Another thing is don't go there when service is in session or Sunday at all. I never offer to split my finds at churches, and have never been asked to. On other private property I never offer to split my finds either. I might be okay with giving a landowner a thing or two, but I would usually rather leave anything in the ground than go through all the work only to have to hand over my best finds.

yea churches can be great places to search but gotta ask first on those. Older the better. Some of my best oldest silvers came from a church.

Asking permission isnt rocket science. However we make it a lot harder than it needs to be. Myself included.

I have found its best just to be friendly and sincere. I just state my name and where I live since I'm asking for permission fairly close to home right now. I just tell them that I noticed the old building and I enjoy metal detecting as a hobby and would they mind if I swing around. Just be honest and smile. A smile carries a lot of weight believe it or not.

G2M

Back
Top Bottom