Large Six Cylinder Copper Gasket

Diggum

Elite Member
I found this, today. Someone beat me to it, but gave up on digging it up and passed on. For once, I was not too cheesed off at some sloppy detectorist not covering their holes! It was a slog to get it out of the ground in this heat, but well worth it, in my opinion! Does anyone recognize it? I'm sure that no vehicle has used a solid copper gasket in 50+ years. Maybe closer to 100 than 50, but I'm trying to not get too far ahead of myself... :laughing:

Thanks for any info you all can give me!

Attachments

• 20190824_162914.jpg
    20190824_162914.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 317
Man, I’ll bet that pinpointed huge,probably thought you hit the mother of all pocketspills:laughing: No way that fit in the finds pouch.
Cool find tho,old head gasket..not sure what it’s from but could be a collector item somewhere..

It's from a flathead six engine. Those U shape cutouts to the side of the cylinder holes are where the valves came up through the side of the block next to the cylinders.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

It's from a flathead six engine. Those U shape cutouts to the side of the cylinder holes are where the valves came up through the side of the block next to the cylinders.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Thanks, ecmo! Is this one of those 6 cylinder engines where the valve is in the block, instead of the head? And do you know about how old this is?

Thanks, ecmo! Is this one of those 6 cylinder engines where the valve is in the block, instead of the head? And do you know about how old this is?
Yes as stated the valves were in the block next to the cylinders. Flathead engines were made in cars, trucks, and farm tractors until at least the early '50s. Dodge and Plymouth I know were early 50s, Ford through 53 I think it was. General motors went to overhead valve in the '40s, possibly earlier just in case someone corrects me. Sorry didn't Google, just memory.

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk
Note: flathead engines are also known as L head.

Don

Yes as stated the valves were in the block next to the cylinders. Flathead engines were made in cars, trucks, and farm tractors until at least the early '50s. Dodge and Plymouth I know were early 50s, Ford through 53 I think it was. General motors went to overhead valve in the '40s, possibly earlier just in case someone corrects me. Sorry didn't Google, just memory.

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk
Note: flathead engines are also known as L head.

Don

Thanks for the info, Don!

Back
Top Bottom