Finds: Catch up time.(England)

Doug

Elite Member
Due to the grass fields being rock hard through lack of rain it's been a struggle to find a field which I can actually dig.

I managed to extract the odd find from the grass fields but thankfully now the crops are starting to be harvested.

Thanks for looking........Doug.

Winter barley field. Farm in the background.
AHlDBHM.jpg

Middle ground, experimental crops waiting to be cut.

Background, several varieties of experimental crops in the middle of the field.

VmGVo44.jpg

Elizabeth 1st silver coin love token.

TQKhzK8.jpg

US 1cent piece bottom left.
DZCDOTg.jpg

Various buckles.
vUJNh8X.jpg

Pottery RHS surface finds.
SEgm3Ue.jpg

Top left, lead pencil sharpener 1850-1900. (broken)
B0TCbfM.jpg

Buttons. Top left, WW1 general service, next, livery and bottom light infantry.
LJpEIMk.jpg

Elizabeth 1st 1575 & William 3rd 1696 (coins) love tokens.
E5pgrlC.jpg

UpnXMrR.jpg

Metal lead/pewter head, broken off a body?
kS2hwkg.jpg

Due to the grass fields being rock hard through lack of rain it's been a struggle to find a field which I can actually dig.

I managed to extract the odd find from the grass fields but thankfully now the crops are starting to be harvested.

Thanks for looking........Doug.

Winter barley field. Farm in the background.

AHlDBHM.jpg

Middle ground, experimental crops waiting to be cut.

Background, several varieties of experimental crops in the middle of the field.

VmGVo44.jpg

Elizabeth 1st silver coin love token.

TQKhzK8.jpg

US 1cent piece bottom left.

DZCDOTg.jpg

Various buckles.

vUJNh8X.jpg

Pottery RHS surface finds.

SEgm3Ue.jpg

Top left, lead pencil sharpener 1850-1900. (broken)

B0TCbfM.jpg

Buttons. Top left, WW1 general service, next, livery and bottom light infantry.

LJpEIMk.jpg

Elizabeth 1st 1575 & William 3rd 1696 (coins) love tokens.

E5pgrlC.jpg

UpnXMrR.jpg

Metal lead/pewter head, broken off a body?

kS2hwkg.jpg

Would love to go to Britain and find history like that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome finds as always!
Do you live close to your spots? I always imagine living there just staring out at fields and my arm would just start swinging unconsciously :lol::lol::lol:

Nice finds as usual! It would be nice to find something like that on this side of the pond!

What makes those a "love token?" I expected them to be inscribed or something. They just look bent. Does the bend signify something?

Skippy

Very nice batch of finds, Doug. Especially from those ground and crop conditions. Never heard of a lead pencil sharpener. Skippy asked first, but I too am curious: What's up with the "love tokens" label?

Awesome finds as always!
Do you live close to your spots? I always imagine living there just staring out at fields and my arm would just start swinging unconsciously :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you.

Most of the farms are within at the most 15 minutes from my house.

What makes those a "love token?" I expected them to be inscribed or something. They just look bent. Does the bend signify something?Skippy

Thank you.

Several theories to why they are bent into a 'S" shape, below is just one of them.

"Bent coins or 'Love tokens' - Precious metal coins from the reign of Queen Mary (1553 - 1558) through to that of King George III (1760 - 1820) are occasionally found bent in a S- shape (when viewed from the side). These are commonly called 'love tokens' and the practice of gifting one to a romantic interest appears to have been at its height during the time of William III (1689 - 1702). However it is difficult to be certain that a coins demonstrating some bending has indeed been modified for the purpose of being given as a 'love token', and indeed, bent coins from the Post-Medieval period have appeared in hoards of other non-bent coins.

It would be impossible to say with any confidence whether a single bent coin found on its own had been removed from circulation and transformed into an object, and therefore such coins should only be considered potential Treasure if they meet the standard criteria for coins detailed in paragraph 1.(1) of the Treasure Act 1996."

Over here we would salivate over those finds.

Thank you.

Interesting finds there!

Thank you.

Very Cool!

Thank you.

Very nice batch of finds, Doug. Especially from those ground and crop conditions. Never heard of a lead pencil sharpener. Skippy asked first, but I too am curious: What's up with the "love tokens" label?

Thank you.

Yes it is a lead pencil sharpener I assume the blade would have been steel?

Love token, see above.

Hi Doug,

You guys have been having some pretty awful weather over there. Read where literally thousands of chickens died the other week.

I was glad to see that the weather cooled down some this past Saturday. I was motoring from South Hampton to Heathrow and actually got a little drizzle.

Back
Top Bottom