First Gold Ring! **Update - It’s a Keeper!!**

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
It took over two years, but I finally found a gold ring! And, of course, it was when I would least expect it...

I was hunting a farm field that should have been planted about 2 months ago, but thanks to the ridiculous amount of rain that fell in Ohio all spring and early summer, it's laying fallow for the year. My research says there was a home site here in the mid to late 1800s, and I have found some old broken glass, ceramics, and bricks, but not as much as I would expect compared to similar sites I've hunted. Likewise, relics are scarce - I've hunted it twice before, and only came up with a fatty Indian, a gilt button dating to the 1830s-1840s, a clay marble, and a couple of other odds and ends. Good finds certainly, but scant for the amount of time I put into the site.

I went back today mainly because time was somewhat short and the site is close, so I figured it was worth one more try. I was hunting closer to the road that runs past the site, which meant most of the mid tones I was digging ended as bits of can slaw. There were a couple minor relics along the way - a bit of an old spoon, a beefy rivet, .22 bullet, lead shot. When the 1975 Lincoln cent came up, I was ready to pack it in!

Tired of the can slaw and the lack of decent targets, I started to hunt my way back to the car. Not more than 100' from the car, I hit on a nice, tight sounding mid-tone, solid in all directions, and showing 11-12 consistently on the VDI. Easily could have been another piece of can slaw - at best, maybe a crusty nickel or thin brass relic of some kind, I thought.

Well, I was floored to see a shiny ring pop out of the loose dirt from about 5" down! The design is clearly fairly modern, and the dirt fell away easily enough that I could read the mark right on the spot...14K White gold! The full label reads 14KW (the W is sideways, oddly enough) with a trademark R, and "Artcarved" as the maker. Pretty cool feeling to nail a gold ring, especially in such an unlikely spot!

Since the ring seems so modern, I suspect that it may well belong to the farmer that gave me the permission - he's owned and farmed the field since 1992. I went over to his house this afternoon but he wasn't home, so I'll have to try later this week.

Edit on 7/31: Finally caught up with the farmer, and he said, “Nope, that’s not mine...looks like it’s yours now!” See Post 29 below for more!

Attachments

• C19CCF4F-A28E-47C5-A3E5-4F6552A7F379.jpg
    C19CCF4F-A28E-47C5-A3E5-4F6552A7F379.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 600
  • AE8A3583-72C3-478A-A177-168D70BD19A8.jpg
    AE8A3583-72C3-478A-A177-168D70BD19A8.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 572
  • 374D1BD2-C593-477A-A134-274B74406319.jpg
    374D1BD2-C593-477A-A134-274B74406319.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 574
  • 61A048E4-7075-47BB-B504-0C7B2006B0DD.jpg
    61A048E4-7075-47BB-B504-0C7B2006B0DD.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 578
  • 0249415E-2FA1-421D-AB4E-C8100E613A0F.jpg
    0249415E-2FA1-421D-AB4E-C8100E613A0F.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Outstanding!! I like those deeper 11-12 signals. Usually an old nickel, or a chunky white gold ring (so I've heard...) :lol: Really awesome find. Nice of you to show it to the owner. Hopefully he'll let you keep it, if he doesn't recognize it. Regardless, sweeeet, mid tone dig!

Very nice first gold ring. Glad to see you dug one, hopefully you will get to keep it.

An Ohio cornfield and a gold ring. Those are legendary for angry spouse ring tosses. I doubt it belongs to the farmer. Odds are an angry husband did the left-handed over the roof 80 MPH toss as they went down the road.

Cool find. Hope you get to keep it.

It took over two years, but I finally found a gold ring! And, of course, it was when I would least expect it...

I was hunting a farm field that should have been planted about 2 months ago, but thanks to the ridiculous amount of rain that fell in Ohio all spring and early summer, it's laying fallow for the year. My research says there was a home site here in the mid to late 1800s, and I have found some old broken glass, ceramics, and bricks, but not as much as I would expect compared to similar sites I've hunted. Likewise, relics are scarce - I've hunted it twice before, and only came up with a fatty Indian, a gilt button dating to the 1830s-1840s, a clay marble, and a couple of other odds and ends. Good finds certainly, but scant for the amount of time I put into the site.

I went back today mainly because time was somewhat short and the site is close, so I figured it was worth one more try. I was hunting closer to the road that runs past the site, which meant most of the mid tones I was digging ended as bits of can slaw. There were a couple minor relics along the way - a bit of an old spoon, a beefy rivet, .22 bullet, lead shot. When the 1975 Lincoln cent came up, I was ready to pack it in!

Tired of the can slaw and the lack of decent targets, I started to hunt my way back to the car. Not more than 100' from the car, I hit on a nice, tight sounding mid-tone, solid in all directions, and showing 11-12 consistently on the VDI. Easily could have been another piece of can slaw - at best, maybe a crusty nickel or thin brass relic of some kind, I thought.

Well, I was floored to see a shiny ring pop out of the loose dirt from about 5" down! The design is clearly fairly modern, and the dirt fell away easily enough that I could read the mark right on the spot...14K White gold! The full label reads 14KW (the W is sideways, oddly enough) with a trademark R, and "Artcarved" as the maker. Pretty cool feeling to nail a gold ring, especially in such an unlikely spot!

Since the ring seems so modern, I suspect that it may well belong to the farmer that gave me the permission - he's owned and farmed the field since 1992. I went over to his house this afternoon but he wasn't home, so I'll have to try later this week.

I recommend you ask "Have you ever lost a gold ring?" rather than pull out the ring and ask him if it's his.

that way you get a square answer. :)

Skippy

I guess Ben the trip with the Gold Ring changed the hunt and now would be called a success. It only takes one great target and you my friend hit it big. Congrats on the the First Gold. Trapper

Congrats on the first gold ring!!!! Not a better feeling.

I also agree I'd ask if he lost a gold ring before showing him. Strong likely hood it was a toss like mentioned above.

Congrats man on the super nice gold and your first at that! That’s a nice band!

Thanks, GS! The band does look pretty cool - and it cleaned up great. I lost my own white gold wedding band about 8 months ago (while detecting, of all things!) - if I end up keeping this one, I could always make it my new band. Funny thing, I finally broke down and bought a replacement just last month, but it’s serinium rather than gold - I just couldn’t trust myself with another gold ring :lol:

Yay! Congrats!

Thanks, TS! It was a fun find!

Last edited:
Very nice first gold ring. Glad to see you dug one, hopefully you will get to keep it.

Thanks Dan, me too! It’ll be a cool return though, too, if it comes to that! Having lost my own band, I can certainly appreciate how pleased that would make someone feel :yes:

An Ohio cornfield and a gold ring. Those are legendary for angry spouse ring tosses. I doubt it belongs to the farmer. Odds are an angry husband did the left-handed over the roof 80 MPH toss as they went down the road.

Cool find. Hope you get to keep it.

:lol::lol: You might be right!! I did find it about as far into the field as I could heave a ring from the road!! :lol:

I recommend you ask "Have you ever lost a gold ring?" rather than pull out the ring and ask him if it's his.

that way you get a square answer. :)

Congrats on the first gold ring!!!! Not a better feeling.

I also agree I'd ask if he lost a gold ring before showing him. Strong likely hood it was a toss like mentioned above.

Thanks Skippy and StratTone! Ordinarily I’d agree 100% with that advice. In this case, I’ve developed a very good relationship with this particular farmer over the last 2 years and have several permissions from him. He’s always very interested to see what I find, but he’s never asked to keep a single item (and I’ve found some darn good stuff!) He’s an extremely nice guy and a straight shooter - if he were to claim it was his, I’d trust him completely. That said, you’re right, it’ll be worth framing the question carefully before actually showing it to him. And if it isn’t his, I have no doubt he’ll let me keep it.

Sweet! It's always nice to grab a keeper from an otherwise boring hunt and it doesn't get much better than a gold ring, Big Congrats!

Thanks Ron! You’re right - that ring really rescued an otherwise skunky hunt!

I guess Ben the trip with the Gold Ring changed the hunt and now would be called a success. It only takes one great target and you my friend hit it big. Congrats on the the First Gold. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! It sure is amazing how one target can completely change a hunt - this one went from frustrating and completely forgettable to unforgettable in an instant!

Last edited:
Nice save, if you were around me when I found my first gold you would have thought I found a treasure chest :lol: Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom