Beach Silver! **Update** Cleaned ring

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
From my last couple of hunts, love those negative tides. Silver dime, 2 silver rings and 1 of them with diamonds, silver chain, nice silver bracelet (could those be real diamonds in silver???), and St Christopher copper medal. No gold but I think that silver ring and bracelet will shine up nicely!

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• st christopher.jpg
    st christopher.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 540
  • d ring.jpg
    d ring.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 557
  • old silver ring.jpg
    old silver ring.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 556
  • Silver Dime.jpg
    Silver Dime.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 552
  • Silver Chain.jpg
    Silver Chain.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 549
  • ringy.jpg
    ringy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 551
  • ringy 2.jpg
    ringy 2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 548
  • all.jpg
    all.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 502
  • nice bracelet.jpg
    nice bracelet.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Love the color of that salt water silver.

R5

Very nice silver ring. Stones are a no - go. I think now I like the black tarnish on those now. More character. Whenever I cleaned those, I could never get them like new again. Black rings are more the fashion right now. Nice !

Very nice silver ring. Stones are a no - go. I think now I like the black tarnish on those now. More character. Whenever I cleaned those, I could never get them like new again. Black rings are more the fashion right now. Nice !

Thanks! Black may be popular but old and crust tarnish probably isnt!

Wow nice haul and yes they put diamonds in silver. I have a silver ring with such.

Update!

UPDATE! Cleaned up that black crusty ring and it turned out beautiful. One of the harder rings I have had to clean with so many small crevices but I think it was worth the effort.

Attachments

• 20190610_212150.jpg
    20190610_212150.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 20190610_212428.jpg
    20190610_212428.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 20190610_215125.jpg
    20190610_215125.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 325
That cleaned up ring looks smoking hot! Nice job!! David Yurman jewelry uses real diamonds in their silver.

That ring cleaned up great. Didn't think you would get it so nice. Could you describe how you did it ? Tumbler , toothbrush , dawn , etc.

That ring cleaned up great. Didn't think you would get it so nice. Could you describe how you did it ? Tumbler , toothbrush , dawn , etc.

400 grit sand paper to take off most of the corrosion and get down to bare metal, a couple of baking soda in aluminum dips, and then a dremel using dialux polishing compound @10k rpm on the smooth sections and 3.5k around the diamonds. Lucky me, not one came out. Used a jewelry cleaner solution and toothpick to help get the compound reside out of the small cracks. The dremel does all the heavy lifting.

400 grit sand paper to take off most of the corrosion and get down to bare metal, a couple of baking soda in aluminum dips, and then a dremel using dialux polishing compound @10k rpm on the smooth sections and 3.5k around the diamonds. Lucky me, not one came out. Used a jewelry cleaner solution and toothpick to help get the compound reside out of the small cracks. The dremel does all the heavy lifting.

Too much work. Can I send you about 200 silver rings to clean for me? It sounds way too time consuming!

Sure why not! ;)

I can knock a silver ring out in 20 mins. This one took about 2.5 hours.

Cleaning and restoring your finds is almost as fun as the find. Plus I need it to look its best in my shadow box :cheers:

It's not shadow box. It's your Rat Trap ! Great info. Dremel could be tricky/damaging. Lots of time for sure. But on certain rings I have like yours, I may give it a go. Maybe some rat fecal pellets as an abrasive as well. Thanks !

I recently tried a new method for cleaning nasty black silver. Very much the same starting with the baking soda aluminum hot water dip then tumbling (and here’s the new part) using polishing small stainless media I purchased recently. They sell it by the pound and it has many diff shapes so gets into all the nooks and crannies. Did a ring the other nite and was amazed. Thing looked showroom new! I’ll post some pics if you lke such as stainless media and a before and after pics of the ring

Back
Top Bottom