Passing on pennies

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I’ve dug two pieces of jewelry that were 20/21 VDI in the last week. A junk ring and a sterling earring. Need to dig the Felix’s or miss on that jewelry! My first jewelry marked sterling! 64FFBC4F-B185-43D3-A28E-0338242AAB19.jpeg

Congrats on the first sterling! Super awesome when you finally see that little marking!

its funny you mention passing on pennies.. I have dug up ENOUGH of them for mine AND your lifetime! I quickly got tired of it.... Now trash signals (30's 40's) I try to dig those as much as possible.... even tho it's almost always trash... Only once has it ever been gold LOL!

I always dig my penny signals. Every once in a while I'll pass on some choppy zinc tones but only if I'm over it for the day. I'll eventually be back at that site and get them.

you will miss so much is you pass on those penny signals.......from gold to silver to really cool relics.

Its a beauty of a find! Good on ya! You should do something special with that! Like make a hat pin or something out of it!...

More on topic though, especially for Mega Claddies trying to make pay, the zinc penny signals are infuriating!...Its like damn!...So a guy buckles down and just gets really good at stabbing those targets without thinking about it too much..quick simple retrieval method of all pennies or targets and then just working the plan...

Gold and silver sometimes shows up, sometimes chains even, enough to make it a viable consideration.....

So, As my old G'pa admonished, "You mind the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves"..this certainly applies for us...pennys and pulltabs and bastard signals is where the money is at...its a total bummer I know, so a guy gets good and fast for about any and all extractions without thinking too hard about it....

I do like the F70 (Patriot) set on Delta Pitch though, it certainly has the audio accuracy of range to alert a guy to what is 'not quite a penny/pulltab, but might be gold/silver'..The more off solid zinc and scratchier the better...so a guy just gets fast on the pull without thinking too much....

Its nice to have a rig that allows for this range of audio..

Funny you mention this... When I first got my NOX, I was digging every good signal and was getting some good finds. Including a few IHP. But I was also digging a lot of Zinc Pennies. Hate those crusty things. So, I figured out that Zincs come in most often at 21 VDI. So I pretty much stopped digging any 21 signal. And I wondered why I haven't found any IHP as of late. Then I saw a VDI chart for the NOX and found out that they both hit 21 as a VDI. So, I guess I will be digging crusty pennies again when I go out hunting.

Very good point. I also have noticed on my ATpro that the few IHPs I've dug rang in a tad less than a copper cent and more like a pitted Zinc.

It is just part of the game. I almost always cherry pick for silver. A couple weeks ago a buddy of mine found a 18k diamond ring a foot away from where I dug a Barber quarter :) I am sure I heard the low tone and passed it up :)

I've found two seated half-dimes that sounded like modern pennies, as well as a few small silver rings and pendants. I don't pass them up, but am glad that others do! :yes:

I can not bring myself to pass on the pennies yet. I am just as happy poping a wheaty out of a plug as I am a clad quarter. You just never know.

Back
Top Bottom