Opinions on AT Max?

OK you just opened a can of worms... The AT MAX is one of the most over hyped releases ive seen. The EQUINOX out classes it a hundred times over.... NOW someone is going to come along and tell you its the greatest thing since sliced loaf bread and it will do this and that blah blah.... I have had my hands on many detectors and the AT MAX ranks way down on that list. Its a deep machine but the audio and iron tone is a nightmare... WAY BETTER choices out there for the money. IMO thats just my 2 cents and take it for what its worth.....

Last edited:
Don't mind Calabash. He is the local Garrett Hater. Just ignore him like many others do about his hateful comments.

I have done very well with the AT MAX. A nice detector, has a nice deep true all metal mode. It's easy to ID most junk targets such as bottle caps, iron nails, iron junk just to name a few. Once you get comfortable with it, you tend to use the audio as a guide to make an educated guess as to the target's probability. It works well in water as on land. Many factory coils and after market coils are available to give you an extra advantage for your type of hunting......be it coins, water, relics etc. It's very easy to operate. No complicated programs. I guess the proof on any metal detector ability to get decent finds is show them. Below is a link on a field test with the AT MAX.

Field Test - http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=251629

Last Years Totals- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6q2UytjZ28

Attachments

• eartquake.jpg
    eartquake.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 286
I too am considering an AT Max. I like the built in wireless, and even though I am unlikely to hunt while submerged, the waterproof feature is needed for rain,shallow creek and river ford hunting. The backlight is a nice feature also.
I mostly look for coins and jewelry and do some relic hunting. I figure that this machine, along with a 5X8 coil will do everything I need it to do.
All of the glowing reviews about the Equinox almost convinced me to go that direction but the sealed battery and expensive accessory coils are a deal killer.
I am pretty new to this and this will be an upgrade from the old 1266X that I am currently using. (which I can't get wet).

if anyone has other suggestions for a waterproof/back lit/ wireless/ conventional battery using machine, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.

I too am considering an AT Max. I like the built in wireless, and even though I am unlikely to hunt while submerged, the waterproof feature is needed for rain,shallow creek and river ford hunting. The backlight is a nice feature also.
I mostly look for coins and jewelry and do some relic hunting. I figure that this machine, along with a 5X8 coil will do everything I need it to do.
All of the glowing reviews about the Equinox almost convinced me to go that direction but the sealed battery and expensive accessory coils are a deal killer.
I am pretty new to this and this will be an upgrade from the old 1266X that I am currently using. (which I can't get wet).

if anyone has other suggestions for a waterproof/back lit/ wireless/ conventional battery using machine, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.

There are a lot of good dependable machines available out there. Good luck with whatever you choose! :mder:

Johns the local Garrett fan boy so you got both sides of the coin. Its not hateful John he asked for opinions of the AT MAX and I think I'm a pretty capable detectorist and able to give my honest view of the machine. For people who only swing garrets I'm sure its just wonderful machine. Some us swing different brands and get to compare them to each other. If I had to guess you signed a agreement with Garrett and your forbidden to do that and to say anything negative about Garrett machines. Just a guess ......

I bought the AT MAX for three reasons: wireless headphones, backlight and more depth.
I can definitely say that it delivered on 2 out of 3.
I cannot claim more depth yet, due to my hunting style (dig everything regardless of depth)

Watch a few vids on it, the audio seems gruesome. If someone offered me a free MAX i seriously would decline, there's loads of decent choices out there for the same money.

There is one certainty in this world. If anyone asks about the ATMax, Calabash will show up to tell you how it's the worst detector in the world. Keep in mind that he never owned one and put in the required amount of time to learn it. He borrowed one and then fancies himself an expert with it.

Seems to be a hot seller, and any used ones get snatched up almost immediately at a decent price. There are lots of choices right now at the price point. Look at the F75+ and T2+ too. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck, just not weather proof or wireless. The F75 is almost legendary.

Whatever you end up with, take the time to get to know it. We've all heard the saying that it takes up to 100 hours to really know a machine. That and location will determine your success.

Good luck.

Don't forget I started with the pro. The AT MAX is not a complicated detector... I didn't need to put a 100 hours on it to know the audio stinks and wouldn't work for what I do. I hunt relics in thick iron and the AT MAX audio could not cut the mustard for me. The guy asked for opinions on the MAX and I gave mine.. Better choices out there for the money. EQUINOX 600 will run circles around the MAX.... I have the 800 and its a winner.

Had my Max since September. I have been using mine for tot lots and jewelry hunting. Jewelry screams, even the small stuff. Can't wait until it warms up so I can get it wet.

EQUINOX 600 / 800 .. Are a throw away detector after 3 yrs if it has issues..

I just sent a 4 yr old Garrett AT Gold in that was notching in disc 1 .. $80 fix now I have almost a new detector ..

That is my primary concern. I'm sure the Equinox is a great detector. But after a thorough search, I only see a single accessory coil option and it is listed as " out of stock" with no price. That tells me it doesn't exist yet. Rechargable batteries wear out and the Equinox is a sealed unit.
I don't want to send my unit to a service center when the battery is shot.

EQUINOX 600 / 800 .. Are a throw away detector after 3 yrs if it has issues..

I just sent a 4 yr old Garrett AT Gold in that was notching in disc 1 .. $80 fix now I have almost a new detector ..
Lol throw away?? Why? Because you have to take out 4 screws and unplug a battery? I'm not sure how some of the members here manage to put their pants on every morning lol. Lithium ion batteries are the best option for high end electronics period. Any detector that doesn't utilize this tech is either cheap or outdated.

I owned the AT Pro for years and I tested an AT max and honestly I preferred the AT Pro. The max was a flop. It was an atpro with backlight and wireless phones. If it were me I would either pick up a good used at pro setup with some extras or get the equinox 600. The equinox will detect circles around the max.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lol throw away?? Why? Because you have to take out 4 screws and unplug a battery? I'm not sure how some of the members here manage to put their pants on every morning lol. Lithium ion batteries are the best option for high end electronics period. Any detector that doesn't utilize this tech is either cheap or outdated.

I owned the AT Pro for years and I tested an AT max and honestly I preferred the AT Pro. The max was a flop. It was an atpro with backlight and wireless phones. If it were me I would either pick up a good used at pro setup with some extras or get the equinox 600. The equinox will detect circles around the max.

Do you own an Equinox? Because unless Minelab assumes everyone who buys one is an idiot and can't use a screwdriver there is more to it than 4 screws and unplugging a battery. The below statement is directly from the Equinox users manual .There is no mention of cost or time to service.

"Even with correct care and maintenance, Lithium-ion battery performance reduces over time with normal use. Therefore the battery may need to be replaced every few years. Replacement batteries can be supplied and installed by an Authorised Service Centre."

"Every few years" is a guess because some people go detecting a few times a year, some go a few times a week, some go every day.
A battery that wears out, a proprietary charging cable that is not immediately replaceable if it is lost or damaged makes the Equinox a no go for me.

Do you own an Equinox? Because unless Minelab assumes everyone who buys one is an idiot and can't use a screwdriver there is more to it than 4 screws and unplugging a battery. The below statement is directly from the Equinox users manual .There is no mention of cost or time to service.

"Even with correct care and maintenance, Lithium-ion battery performance reduces over time with normal use. Therefore the battery may need to be replaced every few years. Replacement batteries can be supplied and installed by an Authorised Service Centre."

"Every few years" is a guess because some people go detecting a few times a year, some go a few times a week, some go every day.
A battery that wears out, a proprietary charging cable that is not immediately replaceable if it is lost or damaged makes the Equinox a no go for me.
Yes I own the 800. There are already posts on this forum and videos on how to change the battery. It is very simple and only takes a few minutes. Yes at some point years down the road a new seal might be needed when replacing battery and I'm sure it will be available like others already are. Of course minelab doesn't want everyone messing with their new machine while it is under warranty so they will not recommend doing it yourself. Once it is out of warranty anybody will be able to swap batteries themselves if neccessary. If properly used and charged the lithium battery should last past the warranty anyway.

The 800 comes with 2 charging cables as well so that is not an issue. Obviously once minelab gets caught up on back orders accessories will be readily available. It is not like they are not going to support their new flagship machine. It has only been available for like 2 weeks it just takes a little time.

I upgraded to an AT MAX a few months ago. Previous to that I was using a ACE350. I've never used an AT PRO. I love the audio on the AT MAX. There was a huge learning curve going from a ACE series to the MAX though. Mainly due to the fact that I am new to metal detecting altogether. I used the ACE350 for a few months before handing it down to my son. We hunt together. I don't hunt iron laden areas looking for relics. I'm more of an old curbstrip and old ballfield kind of hunter. The MAX has helped me recover 40+ silver coins/jewelry in less than 6 months. This may be a small number to some of the more experienced hunters but, less than a year ago, I hadn't even handled a metal detector. I've found the MAX to be capable of deep silver and really a joy to run. I typically run in zero mode with no iron discrimination. If I do get a lot of iron grunt, I do turn the iron discrim to 20 or even 35. I have picked silver in areas of a park that did have a fair amount of iron, but like I said, I'm not hitting areas with lots and lots of iron. I love the backlight and wireless headphones. It's balanced well for me. You will get many differing options. This is just mine. The AT MAX is a great machine. It's been a lot of fun learning and using it. I would suggest it for anyone who does the type of hunting that I do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom