Equinox and twist caps.

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
There has been so much info on the Equinox out there I'm not sure if this has been tried. I read in one post that smoking out twists caps is pretty hard to do. Hunted a small local park the other day and dug quite a few smooth 23-24-25 signals that I just couldn't walk way from. Yes, twist caps, Huh? So today I was experimenting a little with some of the settings on the Eq-800. Keep in mind this was an indoor air test, did repeatedly with the same results. Ok Park 2 Multi. Default settings.http://metaldetectingforum.com/mdgreen/attach/jpg.gif

Switched to two tone, ran the caps past the coil. smooth tone, solid Id number. Ran an IH, a wheatie, a zincoln. and a memorial penny. All same, smooth good Id. Looking for any discrepancies in tones I went into try Iron Bias. Ran it up to nine and the cap signals started to scratch, pop, and in some tries wouldn't even tone. On the other hand the pennies would tone smooth and repeatable. Definitely a discernible difference. Funny thing, I had trouble getting a tone on the memorial. I did this a least a dozen times with the same results. The 3 flat ones in the right of the picture I couldn't smoke them out. They toned smooth. But the other seven failed the test every time. I"m not real technical when it comes to metal detectors, I'm just in it to dig a little history and cool stuff. I'm gonna give this a try and see if it proves true in a real world hunt. And if this helps somebody out there, then it was worth the time it took to post. Good luck an HH Mark

Attachments

• 20180308_160918.jpg
    20180308_160918.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 221
I had the same issue with the 800 and planned on trying some things next hunt. I have heard that if you sweep down the line of the target it will give an iron tone as you reach the edge of bottle caps as well. That will not happen with coins. Not sure how deep that will hold true. Thanks for the info and keep us posted on your results. I will do the same. I plan to hunt Saturday with the 800 and will try some things and video some live digs as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ben, thank you, recently saw that video. Another pain is that 12-13-14 signal pulltabs and beavertails vs. nickles signal. I had a setting that was giving different tones but after messing with it too much I couldn't get back to it. Maybe tomorrow. I believe this machine will be able to tell us just about all we need to know before we dig. Just gonna take a little time. Good luck Mark

Ben, thank you, recently saw that video. Another pain is that 12-13-14 signal pulltabs and beavertails vs. nickles signal. I had a setting that was giving different tones but after messing with it too much I couldn't get back to it. Maybe tomorrow. I believe this machine will be able to tell us just about all we need to know before we dig. Just gonna take a little time. Good luck Mark
Yep I dug all pull tabs and no nickels either. I did find through air tests and my test garden the nickels in my soil bounce between 12-13 and pull tabs usually hit 13-15 and bounce around so I may be able to look for those lower hits in field. Hopefully there will be a trick to hearing a tonal difference though to be more sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Personally, I feel if you do indeed figure out a way to discriminate out aluminum twist caps, you will miss other good targets. Aluminum will not give an iron tone. I know they are a pain but I have dug those caps and indian cents with my E-Trac and I will keep digging them.

I hear ya

Personally, I feel if you do indeed figure out a way to discriminate out aluminum twist caps, you will miss other good targets. Aluminum will not give an iron tone. I know they are a pain but I have dug those caps and indian cents with my E-Trac and I will keep digging them.

SD, I hear ya,And I don't have a clue why Iron Disc would break up on aluminum, and again it was only an air test. But the IH, the wheatie did give a dig me tone. I will try this weekend to see if this holds true in ground targets. I have to tell you, what I've seen so far, I really like the Equinox, however I'm not ready to park the E-trac. It will take a few " get out of here moments" for that to happen. HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom