I Welcome The New Equinox

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
The release of the Minelab Equinox will go through the same cycles as all the other "new" releases of the past 40 years. It will be tested, complimented, disgraced and again, the hype will simmer down. Many will stick with the Equinox, many will go back to the machine(s) they are familiar with and know inside out and some will upgrade to something entirely different.

When multi frequency metal detectors first arrived on the market in the late 1980's., many thought, that this will obsolete all other brands. Well fast forward it to 2018. All the top major manufacturers have produced multiple new models, and have done quite well at that. What the new machines can do, the old ones can do also. Sure, a few bells and whistles, different pricing, but at the end of the day, everyone with their existing machine can still go out and find desired targets. And, new manufacturer's have also entered the market and have also competed well.

So, welcome the hype. It's all about advertising and it surely did get everyone's attention! Welcome the new metal detector with it's upgrades. Raising the bar for price and improvements is a good thing. I look forward to Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro, Whites and all the other new "guys" getting into the metal detector manufacturing arena introducing new machines soon.

So, as this cycle of a new release continues, don't believe that your previous detectors are now totally obsolete. Hang on to them for the moment. You just might regret selling them.

Attachments

• slide_5.jpg
    slide_5.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 727
The release of the Minelab Equinox will go through the same cycles as all the other "new" releases of the past 40 years. It will be tested, complimented, disgraced and again, the hype will simmer down. Many will stick with the Equinox, many will go back to the machine(s) they are familiar with and know inside out and some will upgrade to something entirely different.

When multi frequency metal detectors first arrived on the market in the late 1980's., many thought, that this will obsolete all other brands. Well fast forward it to 2018. All the top major manufacturers have produced multiple new models, and have done quite well at that. What the new machines can do, the old ones can do also. Sure, a few bells and whistles, different pricing, but at the end of the day, everyone with their existing machine can still go out and find desired targets. And, new manufacturer's have also entered the market and have also competed well.

So, welcome the hype. It's all about advertising and it surely did get everyone's attention! Welcome the new metal detector with it's upgrades. Raising the bar for price and improvements is a good thing. I look forward to Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro, Whites and all the other new "guys" getting into the metal detector manufacturing arena introducing new machines soon.

So, as this cycle of a new release continues, don't believe that your previous detectors are now totally obsolete. Hang on to them for the moment. You just might regret selling them.

Well said! I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice. While I have a more modern detector, I've held on the the simple Ace 250 w/sniper coil for about 10 years because it just seems to produce in tight areas- and there are several built in features that make it so versatile.

Wise words. It's exciting to see the new technology, and I'm looking forward to hearing about how it all works out... I'm sure it's a great step forward. But I'm still betting it's going to be the experience and skill of the MDers that makes the difference.

If the AT Max would have been multi frequency the hype of the Equinox would be much lower.

I like this post! Not condescending of a competitor just logical advice; well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Equinox, on spec alone has set a new bench mark for mid priced units, and as some dealers have said, they have sold little to nothing in that price range in months.

True, keep your detectors . You might not like the language of a new one.
You may be better with your favorite detector.:yes:
Maybe I can find way more with my Equinox, time will tell.

Well said John. I just watched a video of a Nox hitting a silver quarter at 9 inches. Air test but still I would have thought maybe a little more. It was being compared to a CTX and a 705. Both very good detectors in their own right. The 705 actually did better with a diamond tennis bracelet than either the Nox or the CTX. As one poster said the Nox should have done better as it was operating in multi. So we wait and see. The Kruzer looks like a very solid entry with the myriad of videos available.

Main thing is to enjoy the hobby and I hope everyone is having fun regardless of what detector they use.

The Equinox, on spec alone has set a new bench mark for mid priced units, and as some dealers have said, they have sold little to nothing in that price range in months.

Of course they haven't sold many mid priced detectors. The unique slick, hype, early release of information of a machine that will obsolete others got everyone's attention that Minelab had hoped for. All this (planned) hype prevented many people from purchasing anything, until the Equinox was released. Metal detectors are expensive to most of us. Why would people purchase another machine until the unit was released? Peoples decision was put on hold. Curiosity is a very strong emotion, especially for a person who has taken up metal detecting

Be prepared for a lot of comparisons coming up in the next short time. Be prepared for some failures, which will also get great attention. As more units hit the market, tempers will flair. This will continue until until the sales peak, then the hype will again, level off, just as it has for all the previous, slated "best machine" releases from the past.

You can either get sucked into all the comparisons, complaints, "mine is better then yours" attitude, or you can just chill out, enjoy the entertainment and continue to go out and do what you normally would do, and that is to go out, metal detect and enjoy the hobby for what it is.

Attachments

• ProPointermcMuffin (2).jpg
    ProPointermcMuffin (2).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 607
Another contributing factor to the “this is better than that” conversations is the fact that there are ALOT of detectorists who CANT hunt right now,at least not the way they normally do for the things they normally hunt for. I’ve never been so bored with forums as I have gotten recently,no matter the subject. I just wanna go HUNT! There are only so many times you clean the house or watch that re-run or whatever else there is to do with frozen ground.
I will agree that IF you choose a proper site and IF you employ proper coil control and IF you know your machine...you are LIKELY to do well with many machines. It’s all of the tough,junk-laden “seemingly target free” sites that will be the test for any new machine,regardless of brand.
The next few months will be interesting for sure....

Of course they haven't sold many mid priced detectors. The unique slick, hype, early release of information of a machine that will obsolete others got everyone's attention that Minelab had hoped for. All this (planned) hype prevented many people from purchasing anything, until the Equinox was released. Metal detectors are expensive to most of us. Why would people purchase another machine until the unit was released? Peoples decision was put on hold. Curiosity is a very strong emotion, especially for a person who has taken up metal detecting

Be prepared for a lot of comparisons coming up in the next short time. Be prepared for some failures, which will also get great attention. As more units hit the market, tempers will flair. This will continue until until the sales peak, then the hype will again, level off, just as it has for all the previous, slated "best machine" releases from the past.

You can either get sucked into all the comparisons, complaints, "mine is better then yours" attitude, or you can just chill out, enjoy the entertainment and continue to go out and do what you normally would do, and that is to go out, metal detect and enjoy the hobby for what it is.

I totally agree,just sit back and let the truth be told,or shown when the new Minelab gets released in the hundreds.New doesn’t always mean better.My favorite machine of all time is the at pro,and I’ve used more top end than I care to admit.
John,I know your a Garrett user,and personally I wasn’t impressed with the max tones..But that’s just my opinion,The at pro kinda spoiled me with the tones for any other single frequency machine.
Back to what’s new isn’t always better.I see a born again xterra in the nox,just like the explorer series went on and on.And imo they got worse,the explorer se never recovered the true heart of fbs in my opinion,and I’d prefer a xs over a se any day.
Ive got some loot put back but I’m not jumping on anything right away,I’ve got a few machines to hold me for now.When you make a claim to obsolete all other detectors ,you cannot take those words back..Truthfully I couldn’t even believe they would say that,lol

Well said John. I just watched a video of a Nox hitting a silver quarter at 9 inches. Air test but still I would have thought maybe a little more. It was being compared to a CTX and a 705. Both very good detectors in their own right. The 705 actually did better with a diamond tennis bracelet than either the Nox or the CTX. As one poster said the Nox should have done better as it was operating in multi. So we wait and see. The Kruzer looks like a very solid entry with the myriad of videos available.

Main thing is to enjoy the hobby and I hope everyone is having fun regardless of what detector they use.

Good post, John.

kajunman -- just one tiny point, and then "back to our regularly scheduled programming, LOL!"

On that bracelet, I believe the test was done in Park 1 mode, which is the mode most "tuned" to high conductors, of all the modes on the machine. ANY other mode should hit that bracelet better than "Park 1." Even "Park 2," but especially the other modes, which are tuned to lower conductive targets...and ESPECIALLY the GOLD mode (on the 800). Just wanted to toss that out there. A 705 vs. an Equinox in Park 1 mode, on a gold bracelet, I would not have expected to have given similar/favorable results...

Steve

Not all detectors are created equal within their price band, i've no doubt that the Equinox will outshine it's competition in the mid level market, and going by the life cycle of the previous fbs units, it will still be a viable detector for years to come.
I'm sure plenty of folks will slate it, especially if their lifelong fanboys of a particular manufacturer and it kicks the ass off their favorite unit, same old story, sour grapes/green eyed monster, call it what you like.
Personally i have no favorite manufacturer, I view a detector exactly the same as any other tool or piece of equipment, and i use the best one for my sites.

Good post, John.

kajunman -- just one tiny point, and then "back to our regularly scheduled programming, LOL!"

On that bracelet, I believe the test was done in Park 1 mode, which is the mode most "tuned" to high conductors, of all the modes on the machine. ANY other mode should hit that bracelet better than "Park 1." Even "Park 2," but especially the other modes, which are tuned to lower conductive targets...and ESPECIALLY the GOLD mode (on the 800). Just wanted to toss that out there. A 705 vs. an Equinox in Park 1 mode, on a gold bracelet, I would not have expected to have given similar/favorable results...

Steve

We'll see. If it's in multi though I would think the 40khz would be hitting on the bracelet. Right now all videos are inconclusive as we haven't seen enough evidence to make an educated decision.

Overall it would be advantageous for the Nox to do well as it would push the boundaries of other companies. Right now it's a little early. That said I think John is correct. Some detectors mesh with the operator and some don't. I will be getting another detector to add to my arsenal. Which one, I have no idea yet.

FTR, I'm not trying to start a war here. At the end of the day I hope everyone will enjoy the hobby no matter which detector they choose.

Back
Top Bottom