I'm her hero! UPDATED update

flyguy784

Elite Member
Yesterday my brother and I were hunting a historic ford on the Brandywine Creek. A location the British crossed on their way to the Battle of Brandywine, Sept 11th, 1777. No relics were found but.....I got a screaming silver hit in about 2 feet of water. After removing three inches of sand and gravel, out popped a beautiful sterling class ring adorned with a topaz center stone. We were stunned. Lots of people float tube this area. Found a name engraved inside. After an hour of searching, I got the phone number. Left a mssg and 20 minutes later, the sweetest young lady called me and said, I think you have my ring. She had lost it five years earlier. She of course was shocked that I found it. After many, many thank you's, several God bless you's and a "you're my hero", I got her address, about 40 miles north of me. Told her I'd send it on up. Sure does make you feel good. You wouldn't believe the joy in this girls voice.

Last edited:
nice job on the return. My grandmother lives in that area in kennet square. Always wanted to detect in that area.

Congrats! I still have yet to be involved in a return, but I really want to. I love reading stories like this. Good job.

Have her call the local news, good publicity for the md community

That's a great idea, I'll do that. Thanks for the tip.
As a follow up. The ring was fairly bent, not round anymore. After 5 years tumbling around in the creek she was a little off color as well. I took my jewelers mandrill and re-rounded it. Then, the old faithful dremel tool and some jewelers rouge, buffed her all up. It looks new again, a real sparkler. I'd love to see this girls face when she see's this thing again. I'll take a pic to post before I send it up. Have a little time with the holiday mail schedule. I may even drive it up there, beautiful ride and I may get a nice hug. What's better than that?
Of course I will let her know of our desire for old detecting locations, perhaps I'll get lucky there.

Update

Well, the ring was returned yesterday. Sorry I didn't get a picture of it. It was as said a sterling class ring. I just hate dealing with the whole photobucket, resizing !!!!. Anyway, week before last I had a minor accident and destroyed my left foot big toe. Could hardly walk for four days. So I was delayed in my return effort. Yesterday my wife and I drove up to the young ladies parents house to hand it over. She wasn't there but we met her parents. Lovely people indeed. They happen to own a 35 acre farm in Bucks county Pa. They of course where thrilled at the return. Her father Mark asked what he could give me. I told him that wasn't necessary. I looked at the house and asked what year it was built. My guess was late 1800's. Two story brick. He replied that it was actually a two story log home, built in the 1700's that in the late 1800's had a brick "skin" put over the original log structure. In fact, much of the interior was still showing the original log structure. Of course I said, "if you'd like to give me something, how about letting us detect the whole farm". He was thrilled at the idea as was his wife. So, one ring returned and a new permission granted. A 1700's farm house with two original barn foundations. They've lived there just over 30 years and never let anyone detect it since they've lived there. That my friends is the definition of "good karma". My brother and I will be swinging coil over that place next week.

What a great addendum, can't wait to see what you find up there! Hope you heal up fast & completely too, sorry about your toe! Dang!

Hunted the house today.

We ran up to the new permission this morning. We were greeted with open arms. This time the young lady that had lost the ring was there and she was almost in tears to meet me. Turns out she's into much of what I like, fossiling and history. She is a wonderful, sweet, down to earth girl. We did all the meet and great, donned our gear and started. She came out now and then to check on us, offer sandwiches, beer, water etc. This is where it gets cool. On one of her checks, I had just got a nice 12/48 silver tone on my CTX. I said,"this is a coin". She huddled over me as I dug. About 7 inches down, I saw a beautiful raspberry red star sapphire. I lifted out a handful of dirt, and picked out a sterling ring, star sapphire, two diamond baguettes. I turned to see her with saucer sized eyes. We were both astonished, it was a real beauty. I reached over, dropped it in her hand and said "there ya go, I found ya another one". That was it, she started crying, hell, I almost started crying. It was that sweet a moment. I had to convince her that I wanted her to have it. Truly a moment I'll never forget. It wasn't hers or her moms, don't know how it got there. Life is good folks.
Other than that, a nice early flat button. A pocket spill of 15 modern pennies,a bronze ice cream scoop, and a 1945 merc, nice crisp one at that. We're going back.

Wow, really great story there. Perfect scenario that you had the return and got setup with a nice, and old hunting spot too.

Also pretty great that the owner was grateful and excited every step of the way :yes:

Very Nice!! I always like to read about the amount of time the ring was missing. WTG on the return.
DL

Ring return

Yesterday my brother and I were hunting a historic ford on the Brandywine Creek. A location the British crossed on their way to the Battle of Brandywine, Sept 11th, 1777. No relics were found but.....I got a screaming silver hit in about 2 feet of water. After removing three inches of sand and gravel, out popped a beautiful sterling class ring adorned with a topaz center stone. We were stunned. Lots of people float tube this area. Found a name engraved inside. After an hour of searching, I got the phone number. Left a mssg and 20 minutes later, the sweetest young lady called me and said, I think you have my ring. She had lost it five years earlier. She of course was shocked that I found it. After many, many thank you's, several God bless you's and a "you're my hero", I got her address, about 40 miles north of me. Told her I'd send it on up. Sure does make you feel good. You wouldn't believe the joy in this girls voice.

I'm sure that must be a great feeling for everyone John!

Back
Top Bottom