New to detecting. Need some advice and help

Hoppy

Hello I am new to the forum and wanting to start detecting.
I have never owned a metal detector and am going to buy one very soon.
I have some land I own and about 300 acres that was used during the civil war that I can search around on for starting my new hobby. I would like to get a detector that can look for everything including gold if possible and that I can use on both regular land and on the beach while on vacation.
I know there will be different opinions but
Is there any good starting detectors under $500 that can do this?
Is it worth it to go ahead and raise my budget to $1000 and if so what detectors would you suggest to look at?
Thanks for any advice,
Hoppy

Used xp deus if not a new one..with that much land,and you own it with the heritage of being used in the civil war,I wouldn’t buy anything other than a deus..For the reasons,,it’s the lightest machine made,,probably the best relic machine made,,fast and deep..

Hello I am new to the forum and wanting to start detecting.
I have never owned a metal detector and am going to buy one very soon.
I have some land I own and about 300 acres that was used during the civil war that I can search around on for starting my new hobby. I would like to get a detector that can look for everything including gold if possible and that I can use on both regular land and on the beach while on vacation.
I know there will be different opinions but
Is there any good starting detectors under $500 that can do this?
Is it worth it to go ahead and raise my budget to $1000 and if so what detectors would you suggest to look at?
Thanks for any advice,
Hoppy

Tell ya what Hoppy. I have many detectors.(more than listed in my sig line) I'll make you a deal. Allow me to hunt your property and I will let you use any of my detectors. I'll set them up for you and help you along. That way if you like one of them, you would know what to purchase. Win/Win for both of us.

Equinox 800. Will work on salt beaches, great for relics and gold. If you'll use your $1k limit, you'll still have enough money leftover for a good pinpointer and digger.

:fmdfwelcome: Thank you for joining us... congratulations on becoming our 50,000th member! Enjoy your new hobby. :grin:

Well glad I could help reach the milestone for everyone and bring some joy to the evening.
A new metal detector to get me started in the hobby would be a nice prize😁

Well glad I could help reach the milestone for everyone and bring some joy to the evening.
A new metal detector to get me started in the hobby would be a nice prize😁

I'll check with the boss! ;):p

Maybe a slightly used toaster?!?

:fmdfwelcome:... from the cold & snowy state of Minnesota! :lotsasnow::snowtruck::snowballfight: Thanks for joining, we're glad to have you with us. :yes:

P.S. Congrats on being the 50,000 member to join FMDF, again!
:clap::good::waytogo: :dingding: :waytogo::good::clap:

My recommendation would be the Teknetics T2 Classic ($499). Light weight, fast with terrific target separation. Finds even tiny objects deep. If you are hunting a civil war site your going to want a detector with these attributes for small buttons, half dimes, trimes, etc. Originally built as a relic machine, it’s one of the best out there but it slays the coins for me. EASY to use not overwhelming. Works good on the beach as well. Finds them deep in the sand!

I'll check with the boss! ;):p

Maybe a slightly used toaster?!?

Come on... Hops deserves at LEAST a yooperite, a handful of lower quality dug large cents from an east-coaster's cast-off bucket, a high quality plastic shopping bag coil cover, and a good dowsing rod for being number 50G! And maybe KT could Knight him!!

What ever you chose will be fun but if you want a machine that will work on the wet sand at a salt water beach you need to take that into consideration. Just because a machine is water (proof) resistant does not mean it will work well on a salt water beach. Gold is one of the most difficult items to find as it can sound like just about anything. At a salt water beach I dig everything except iron and steel. Good Luck.

Surely thou jests. He says he owns at least 300 acres. I think his entry fee for being the 50,000 member should be an acre of land randomly drawn and presented to a forum member for X-Mas! :laughing:

Meanwhile, until he has proven himself I think we should all pitch in and get this for him.

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.1663199692_dihc.jpg
    il_fullxfull.1663199692_dihc.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 400
These choices are IMO best options for new detectorist who wants to really find the goodies! PS - I am currently using Deus...AT Pro last few years I have found incredible amounts of amazing finds....

1 Garrett AT Pro 600 Bucks or less
2 Minelab Equinox 800 - 900 Bucks
3 XP Deus = 1,000 and up

Back
Top Bottom