New to detecting. Need some advice and help

Depends on your sites you plan on detecting. Fields, freshwater beaches, yards & the woods are perfect for a AT Pro. It works great in those types of locations. It is a terrible machine for .
I have one and I LOVE it. It takes a while to really learn it and understand what it is telling you.
I have dug a unreal amount of coins relics And jewelry

That's my opinion

Welcome to the forum Hoppy.

In the top right portion of this site you will see link to sponsors.

Give them a call, they can help you.

Here is the link.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/forum_sponsors.php

You have some great choices available depending on your budget.

I see you are in Tn.
What area??
I live in Tn also.

The cheapest priced detector that definitely satisfies your needs based on what you said here initially is the Minelab Equinox 600.
You mention gold, if you are talking gold jewelry and not nuggets the 600 will definitley suffice.

If you are talking freshwater beach hunting this opens up your choices more detector model wise.

Last thing here.
Headphone useage.
Some detectors come with wireless headphones, some don’t.
Some detector models don’t have oem wirelsss headphone capability, but one can usually buy accessories so the detector can be run wireless headphone wise.
This obviously would cost you some additional loot though.

Wireless headphones are nice.
Definitley less cumbersome while detecting and digging for your prizes.

Last edited:
Welcome from SW WI if your a real person not a troll. LOL

first you ask a forum full of opinionated experts for our advise. Secondly you tease us with owning 300 acres of land with Civil War activities. You might as well take applications for new best friends. LOL

Welcome...glad to have you on board here. It's a great addiction...I mean hobby....

As others have said, the AT Pro or Equinox 600 (or 800, but that's a bit more money, still under your 1000 potential budget) If you're not going to detect salt water beaches, then go with the AT Pro...you can get a nice used one for well under 500, which leaves you money for a Garrett Carrot pinpointer and a couple of good diggers.

These choices are IMO best options for new detectorist who wants to really find the goodies! PS - I am currently using Deus...AT Pro last few years I have found incredible amounts of amazing finds....

1 Garrett AT Pro 600 Bucks or less
2 Minelab Equinox 800 - 900 Bucks
3 XP Deus = 1,000 and up

What he said !

Don't overlook the Eqinox 600.

I see a lot of people recommending the NOX 800 (Minelab, Equinox, 800) but the 600 is a great machine and darn near identical to the 800. Read this info on the 600 vs the 800... You may not need the GOLD MODE the 800 offers...

"The EQUINOX 800 does have one key mode that is lacking on the EQUINOX 600; the Gold Mode. This mode is designed to enhance performance on small gold nuggets in mineralized ground. It does so primarily by using different audio processing so that targets respond both in volume and pitch. The Gold Mode will be of interest to gold prospectors, but has less application for other uses. More to the point, Multi-IQ is so good in both Park 2 and Field 2, that these profiles are as good, or better, at finding gold nuggets, than many dedicated single-frequency gold detectors! These modes are identical on the two EQUINOX models and, as a gold prospector; I would have no problem finding gold nuggets with the EQUINOX 600. People who regularly detect for gold nuggets will likely want the EQUINOX 800. If, however, looking for gold nuggets is more like a once a year thing, the EQUINOX 600 will serve as well, or better, than other multi-purpose detectors on the market."

https://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800
Good luck and have fun!

50,000 Member Status? 300 acres of pristine CW battleground access? I aint falling for this again! You guys remember the dude who was the 25,000 member? 'Member him? Said he lived at Stonehenge! :laughing::laughing:

Come on... Hops deserves at LEAST a yooperite, a handful of lower quality dug large cents from an east-coaster's cast-off bucket, a high quality plastic shopping bag coil cover, and a good dowsing rod for being number 50G! And maybe KT could Knight him!!

KT is more than happy to Knight Hoppy, so from now on, at least to KT, you shall be known as Sir Hoppy, a Royal Knight of the Round Table of MDers! Now buy your MD and get out there! We all wish to see your finds! :D:D:D

These choices are IMO best options for new detectorist who wants to really find the goodies! PS - I am currently using Deus...AT Pro last few years I have found incredible amounts of amazing finds....

1 Garrett AT Pro 600 Bucks or less
2 Minelab Equinox 800 - 900 Bucks
3 XP Deus = 1,000 and up

Ditto, but I would seriously consider the Nox 800 first! And welcome aboard 50k.

I suggest starting out with a good midrange in price unit like a AT Pro or maybe a Whites unit. You first might want to go that route just to make sure the hobby is right for you , before going up the bigger money units. I have been relic hunting for 20+ yrs. and my go to machines are my Whites MXT, and Sport both run around $700 range but finds mostly anything I'm looking for. They are a great units which does well in any type of soil.

There currently is a contest going on to win a Equinox and a beach scoop see contest forum.

A requirement to enter is to have 200 posts in this forum.
Maybe you could get a special consideration being the 50,000 member to enter.
If not, start posting like crazy to get 200 posts.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Price range

For 600 bucks you can go with a Equinox 600, beaches , land , relics, the Deus would be good on your property , but not at the beach, if you want to gold prospect however, get the Equinox 800, also if you spring for more, the Ctx 3030 will work great, just get ready to spend bigger bucks, happy hunting, welcome to the forum, Earl

Back
Top Bottom