• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Pipe backy aroma

Jonesey89

Hello all. I can distinctly remember the smell of sweet sweet pipe tobacco as a kid going into news stands and small auto service garages. This was in the early 90s and the fellas smoking it were probably in their 70s and 80s then so unfortunately, they are no longer here to ask. Fast forward almost 3 decades later and I'm working in the oilfield with little time for relaxing pleasure such as detecting and fishing. So with that heavenly nostalgic scent in mind, I decided to start puffing on a pipe and it's become a little bit of a hobby that I am able to entertain while on the road. Sadly, I have been unable to find the same tobacco. I find blends that smell sweet but aren't quite the same. The closest I've been able to find has probably been the Lane Limited 1Q. The Captain Black Cavendish is also similar. Could it be that I'm chasing a dream and that either the blend doesn't actually smell the way I remember it, or has the blend been discontinued or altered all together? If anyone else has such memories and may be able to take a guess at what that was, please share with me. I know it is not half and half or Sir Walter Raleigh. It had to of been a common name brand though. Seems like all the old timers smoked it. Also, I apologize in advance for this rant. I am on my 6th fifteen hour night in a row and it's twenty minutes to shift change so my wording may be a little incoherent lol

here is a couple (Borkum Riff) ( Bugler Blue Pipe) ( Five Brothers) (Prince Albert )

Last edited:
Don't know if it's still made. but my father always smoked "Half and Half" brand. I always liked the smell but never got into smoking. edit: I see you mentioned that already, oops.

Thank you for the replies. I'll have to try a few of those mentioned although I hear five brothers is pretty harsh

Thank you for the replies. I'll have to try a few of those mentioned although I hear five brothers is pretty harsh

Hell yes it is, it used to be called "six brothers" but he couldn't hang...

I'm almost positive you should investigate cavindish blends... Captain black, the part you like, is the cavindish part...

<°)))>{

Also worth mentioning...IMO

Most of those cavindish blends, smell better and sweeter to a non smoker walking into the room than they taste and smell to the person actually smoking them..

<°)))>{

It definitely would make sense that my senses would be dulled due to being the smoker and not the observer. Thank you. And the six brothers thing brightened my night so thank you for that too!

Flashback! Back in the early, Me and some neighborhood friends took my G'pas pipe tobacco out in the alley in Detroit!.....Well, I should say, I took it... for the communal benefit, peer group pressure, curiosity, science, I dont know exactly why, but thats not germain..who knows why kids do things?.....

Anyway, It was me, Johnny Kutnick, 'Fudgie' Fitzsimmons, my little brother Ed.....I can see it all so clearly! We took a brown paper discarded lunchbag, dumped in G'pas tobacco sack, and rolled up a great big fatty! It looked like a toilet paper tube, but we Fired 'er up and got to puffing!!

Holy Good Mother Teresa! Saints be my Shield! Kutnick hit a tree on his way home riding his Schwinn Applekrate, laid there in the street for hours, until the Good Humor man came along, recognized a valuable customer in distress, and graciously dragged his carcass over to his yard...... Fudgie puked up his socks, he was so sick he couldnt show up for work, lost his Paper Boy delivery job, Me and Ed? Yeah, we climbed up on the garage roof and passed out in a whirling blue haze dizziness...Later, when G'pa couldnt find his bag of leaf....Me and Ed had sobered up enough to toss credible chaff...We innocently denied any involvement, told him it was probably Gypsys, or the maid, or the damn colored kids over on Lenox avenue...

So he sent us down to Old Man Martinis corner store to go buy him a fresh bag...this is in the days when kids could actually buy tobacco....I cant remember what brand it was...it will come to me if I think hard enough, had to be cheap though, My G'pa was blue collar.....

I took over Fudgies paper route though...G'pa even bought me a Schwinn Typhoon for my 11th birthday!...Up until then I had to ride my hand me down older Sisters Girls bike! This is how I learned to fight so well I suppose but still...

That Schwinn Typhoon was one hell of a bike! I could carry a refrigerator on that damn thing! Pipe tobacco smells sure brings back GREAT memories for me! I should probably find myself an old Schwinn Typhoon?..One of the only things that I could always count on and never let me down...

I was with my G'pa when he died...All alone, I never told him about me stealing his pipe tobacco....probably just as well...He was a really good guy, he probably knew all along...

Last edited:
If you find that smell from 30 years ago , you'll be lucky. My grandpa used to smoke a pipe , and cigars , and the pipe was always sweeter than the cigars. That was almost 40 years ago , and I'll catch a similar scent very seldom , and it will bring on instant memories from forever ago. But it's never smelled like grandpa's 'backy .
And like Mud says , I'd have to walk to the store and buy my Dad a carton of Kool's back in the early 70s at about 10 years old. That was a tough cigarette to start out smokin' on. Back then that cigar , and pipe 'backy make ya turn green around the gills , and by the time you knew it , it was to late , you could hang onto an oak tree and wonder how the world was still spinning so fast. And it took a little while to wear off. But , that was the good old days.
Thanks for the memories. :D

Back
Top Bottom