what's the hardest thing about metal detecting?

what's the hardest thing about metal detecting?

trying to convince the wife why I want to go metal detecting instead of scrape the old wall paper off the walls..... and not feel guilty about doing it.

Least favorite part? Mean people. :(

In my 9 years detecting I have never run into a "mean" person.. I hunt in Connecticut and there are some uptight folks but 99.9 percent have been cool.. I really do not digging a nice hit only to dig up a piece of shard.. Aluminum fence pieces really piss me off..

Hardest thing about MDing? realizing that from 1974 to *today* I have found precisely *one* silver coin, no gold at all, and no coin older than 1945.

I mean... it wouldn't bug me to much... but I see peoole on here with posts like "Today I pulled four silvers!" or "Got my 101st silver coin for the year!" or "Got my second gold ring for the month!" or "I'm bummed. I haven't found a gold ring in three months!"

It's hard to have to say "Well... in forty years detecting, I've found one silver (1984) and no gold at all."

Yes, I know I say "Gold is for other people" and I cherish my 1945 Walking liberty half dollar (even more because 1945 is my beloved's birth year!) but sometimes I wonder... after forty years... am I in the right hobby? :lol:

Well, I must be... because I *still* get a thrill out of planning my next hunt! I still enjoy getting out and hearing that nice high tone or that fluttery grunt. Shoving the digger into the ground and hoping that *this time* I'll DO it! Lucy won't pull the football back! The Kite Eating Tree won't get me! This time, I'll DO it!!

I know finding silver is possible. I have found a silver half... a silver earring (two in fact) a silver part of a bracelet, a silver thimble and so on... so it's not that I can't... I just haven't gotten my coil OVER another silver coin.
.... Next time, I'll DO it!!

SageGrouse

Detecting dangers and physical effects...

Sprinklers that pop up with no warning! Also, 'Swamp Ear' from the headphones in the Summer...Scoop Elbow and Swing Shoulder, Wader Hip, Wet Bone, Hammer Hand, Bleacher Noggin (hurts like hell)..Totlot Toes (from digging with your foot)....Camel Knee, Clad Finger, Wet Sock, Search Neck, Twig Eye, Tumbler Tinnitus...just to name a few...:laughing:
Mud

fun thread, what is your least favorite part?

Mine would have to be finding the time I want to spend detecting, without someone else ruining my plans for the day.

That's my problem! It seems like my work always ends up creeping it's way into my weekends somehow. I'd love to shut my phone off but my customers are pretty important to me in a lot of ways and some are like family. :yes:

Least favorite part? Mean people. :(

Have you tried the "F off" approach? :laughing:

When you're asking permission and the homeowner crinkles their nose at you like they smell a Taco fart, you know right then what the answer is going to be.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

When you're asking permission and the homeowner crinkles their nose like they smell a Taco fart, you know right then what the answer is going to be.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Well HECK!! I mean... if they EXPECT a taco fart.... GIVE it to 'em!! No need to walk off leaving them standing there all disappointed an' stuff!

Sage(Me?! Musta been the dog!)Grouse

I've found each hunt can be different, from one to the next;
From nosey nellies :oldguy: park biddys, :mad: kids tagging along wanting my finds, or wanting to dig or swing my machine, and spooks, when people sneak up on you a give you a startle :shock: then they want talk taking you away from you hunt time....

Loudness, lawn mowers, trains, traffic I think sometimes people will drive back and forth (on the gas) just to be rude.

The weather; windy conditions, heat, humidity,
or when it starts to rain when you arrive to the search site.
the end of the year, DEC. till March

Dogs or where they do their duties :mad:
(I kneeled in a stinky pile last fall/another reason for knee pads)

Ground conditions, power lines, water pipes, hard dirt or rockiness.
Can slaw, pull tabs, and digging up 1965 quarters.

Bottle Caps, Hot Rocks, Fire Ants, and the diminishing locations to hunt due to politics and city codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cracker Barrel 'BLT salad' is a good fast one for both accellerant and base combined...its got eggs and bacon in it!...A half sack of Granny Smith apples or green grapes on top of a BK Whopper w/extra onions are tough to beat for a good cheap 'Dutch Oven' treat though....Both have immense staying power, pretty much unfannible..must be the pectin? Anyway, it lingers and bow echos around the room at a Torcon Level 5 for days...

FWIW, my Beloved of 38yrs keeps a spritzer jar of Fabreeze on the nightstand, in her purse, and in the car as well...Ive got some good classics...properly 'Gerber Baby Food' jarred and catalogued from the 70's that will set sheets on fire...I only bring them out on special occasions though...they age well...like fine wine, not to be wasted on unappreciative plebes, a sensitive and appreciative palate for such things is a rare and welcomed guest though....(Here, take a wiff of this one! 1976 vintage!, Chicago Cubbies Stadium Hotdog base!.... Dr Pepper for the accellerant!)

Its a science to get it right, takes a lifetime of trial and error...I discovered you need a heavy accellerant and a solid base to build off of though...that and proper timing for full effect. A voluminous GI tract for storage/fermentation and a sphincter thats up to the task of course...to mete out airesolic colonic nectar in just the right dosages constantly and with volume is not easy!...Plus its dangerous to hold back!

Yeah, any old body can just 'blow and go' a standard Taco Bell submission on an elevator... getting it just right for everyones satisfaction takes tremendous effort and timing! Remember, 'BLT salad and green grapes' for an easy fast and fun longlasting fall back...like when the Inlaws are visiting, or you are being considered for Jury duty!...

Squelching off a perfectly timed blisterer in Church is the best! Balanced with both scent and sound! Ricocheting a tight bubble off the hardwood in a perfectly timed baritone, up to rattle the dust off the rafters, and then having it expand and cascade down its blessing on the entire congregation is priceless!!!

The kids in the Youth group will never forget that one!:laughing: Nobody else thinks its funny though...just the youthgroup kids?....Looking innocent and serious takes some practice too...just comes with the territory and a bit of practice..then the damn Wife whips out the Fabreeze bottle out of reflex and blows my cover!:laughing: And I'm like 'Really?" After 38yrs? Sitting there all innocent and prayerful? ..How am I ever going to make Deacon? You were the one that wanted to stop at the damned Cracker Barrel!
Mud

Last edited:
The Cracker Barrel 'BLT salad' is a good fast one for both accellerant and base combined...its got eggs and bacon in it!...A half sack of Granny Smith apples or green grapes on top of a BK Whopper w/extra onions are tough to beat for a good cheap 'Dutch Oven' treat though....Both have immense staying power, pretty much unfannible..must be the pectin? Anyway, it lingers and bow echos around the room at a Torcon Level 5 for days...

FWIW, my Beloved of 38yrs keeps a spritzer jar of Fabreeze on the nightstand, in her purse, and in the car as well...Ive got some good classics...properly 'Gerber Baby Food' jarred and catalogued from the 70's that will set sheets on fire...I only bring them out on special occasions though...they age well...like fine wine, not to be wasted on unappreciative plebes, a sensitive and appreciative palate for such things is a rare and welcomed guest though....(Here, take a wiff of this one! 1976 vintage!, Chicago Cubbies Stadium Hotdog base!.... Dr Pepper for the accellerant!)

Its a science to get it right, takes a lifetime of trial and error...I discovered you need a heavy accellerant and a solid base to build off of though...that and proper timing for full effect. A voluminous GI tract for storage/fermentation and a sphincter thats up to the task of course...to mete out airesolic colonic nectar in just the right dosages constantly and with volume is not easy!...Plus its dangerous to hold back!

Yeah, any old body can just 'blow and go' a standard Taco Bell submission on an elevator... getting it just right for everyones satisfaction takes tremendous effort and timing! Remember, 'BLT salad and green grapes' for an easy fast and fun longlasting fall back...like when the Inlaws are visiting, or you are being considered for Jury duty!...

Squelching off a perfectly timed blisterer in Church is the best! Balanced with both scent and sound! Ricocheting a tight bubble off the hardwood in a perfectly timed baritone, up to rattle the dust off the rafters, and then having it expand and cascade down its blessing on the entire congregation is priceless!!!

The kids in the Youth group will never forget that one!:laughing: Nobody else thinks its funny though...just the youthgroup kids?....Looking innocent and serious takes some practice too...just comes with the territory and a bit of practice..then the damn Wife whips out the Fabreeze bottle out of reflex and blows my cover!:laughing: And I'm like 'Really?" After 38yrs? Sitting there all innocent and prayerful? ..How am I ever going to make Deacon? You were the one that wanted to stop at the damned Cracker Barrel!
Mud

You forgot the Brussel Sprouts. They were tested on Myth Busters!

Being sore from head to toe the day after. I get one day per week to detect so I go hard for seven or eight hours. I pay for it the day after.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Can I add one?!

SNOW!

I was planning to go out today to hit the church again.

And it SNOWED!! Yes! Little white flakes. No they didn't "stick" but it's bloody COLD again!! :snowing: :cold: :snowing: :cold: :snowing: :cold:

It's COLD. It's almost MAY! It SNOWED! I'm sick to DEATH of WINTER!!

Why won't it get warm?

SageBRRRRRRouse!

Finding good ground.
Roots.
Busy bodies worried about what's none of their business.
Heat here in n.w Florida.
Ticks that transmit Lyme's.
Health issues.

Dealing with the Leader of the Opposition/Chancellor of the Exchequer when she wants to spend money on frivolous things like bills, mortgage, kids education etc instead of a new detector accessory

Sent by carrier pigeon

Back
Top Bottom