Stretching the equinox truth?

I had both the stock coil and the 5X8. To me, the straight shaft design on the Nox & CTX just feels more balanced and easier to swing than the S-shaft design. The ATPro feels more nose heavy. Matter of opinion I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They need to change the epoxy in the coils. A dirt coil shouldn't weigh the same as coil that can be submerged 100ft

Haven’t read all the posts, but I would only take the Nox over the CTX at the beach. Anywhere else I would rather have the better target ID and Target Trace of the CTX.

Also, you only have to charge two things with the nox, the machine and either the module or the headphones, wireless headphones don’t use the module.
Why would you choose the nox? What about the tdi?

Yes the Signum isn't the separator that the Deus or Rutus is, it's fast enough with items on the same level, like say a nail-coin-nail, but in a 3D setting it's not near as good, it can work but settings are critical.
For myself, it's strong point is depth which is very good, with the stock coil it's probably 3" deeper than the Deus, and 2" deeper than the Etrac.
I'd run it against an Etrac any day on turf and be confident that i'm not leaving anything, but not the Deus/Rutus

Something i have noticed though, folk are talking about the Nox hitting coins in iron with the edge of the coil, rather than when the center of the coil is over the coin, the Signum does this alot. While testing on nails and coins above ground, i thought it was just falsing a high tone off the edge of the nails, but after removing the coin the high tone would stop.
So, there's something in this that i need to investigate more.

ghound said its not the seperater that the Deus is...

Last edited:
You want to compare the Kruzer to the Equinox?:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I know a guy that bought the Kruzer his impression of it was, it is a piece of JUNK trash magnet.

The Impact is not what I would call mid priced.

I think the Equinox should be stacked up against the Kruzer, yes, which will say a lot about how it is likely to do in the marketplace. They are both new machines with similar features, aimed at the same mid-priced market. I doubt the Kruzer is "junk." It is based on the Impact, which gets decent reviews, and it apparently does a few things better.

Do you think the Impact is low-priced? At $850, it certainly isn't high-priced (CTX comes in at $2500).

Still putting the Equinox through the paces before my final review, but, as a past owner of the Impact, I have to say I see no comparison between the two. I have taken the NOX to the same spots I took the Impact and found a fair number of keepers missed by the rest.

I took the NOX to an old fort site and only hunted the small main fort area hit hard for 40 years with everything imaginable. To my surprise I pulled a fair number of non-ferrous targets. One that really blew my mind was a .58 cal ball not more than 1" deep. Also a nice big button that should have rang clear on any on the detectors we had used.

3-18-2018.jpg

This really does feel like stretching the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIrZsdW3vPQ

This is my video, i do own both machines. 800 is fast but it appears to be nowhere near as fast as out-of-box Deus.

Once we get rid of snow i will do some field testing too. I like to dig really iffy targets on Deus, will be interesting to see how well Nox will pick them up...

This really does feel like stretching the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIrZsdW3vPQ

This is my video, i do own both machines. 800 is fast but it appears to be nowhere near as fast as out-of-box Deus.

Once we get rid of snow i will do some field testing too. I like to dig really iffy targets on Deus, will be interesting to see how well Nox will pick them up...

Blasphemy! You will burn...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a former Deus owner I'll be the first to agree the Deus is much faster.

Oh, and I also ran the Deus at this same spot!

Not saying the Deus is any better or worse, I happen to be a big Deus fan, I'm just saying it is what it is. Just my results.

Really I think some people put far too much weight in speed. It has it's place like everything else, but speed isn't the do-all feature. Just as "Low & Slow" has it's place..

There is one thing i really look forward though, the Equinox appears to pick up low conductors at depth much better than Deus.

It is important for me because i hunt mostly Scandinavian bronze- and iron age relics and those can be tiny and corroded next to nothing during 100s or even 1000s of years.

I have to run Deus in all metal mode to pick up those little things, Equinox does same and even better in multi freq discrimination mode.

I don’t buy into the whole “ I took my new machine to my hammered site and found stuff my others missed”. Maybe my skills are not up to par but I have found things in spots I know I have hammered with the same detector. I think the ground changes daily, atleast around here. For instance just this weekend I pounded a curb strip Saturday and found some stuff went back yesterday, using the same machine, same program and nailed a Barber Quarter. I know I swung over it numerous times on Saturday. Maybe I was at just the right angle idk...

Can't say how the Equinox will do for your low conductor coinage Kizmo but I will say put the 9.5 HF Elliptical coil on the Deus and I think you'd have a hard time finding any non-specialized detector that could match the Deus on low conductors when running at 80 kHz.

Where the Equinox has the advantage, in my opinion, is the more accurate target ID. Saves me a lot of digging LOL. That button I recovered this weekend rang out a solid clear tone and a solid steady 21 on the VDI from all directions. It was only about 4" but everything else had managed to miss it.

Can't say how the Equinox will do for your low conductor coinage Kizmo but I will say put the 9.5 HF Elliptical coil on the Deus and I think you'd have a hard time finding any non-specialized detector that could match the Deus on low conductors when running at 80 kHz.

Where the Equinox has the advantage, in my opinion, is the more accurate target ID. Saves me a lot of digging LOL. That button I recovered this weekend rang out a solid clear tone and a solid steady 21 on the VDI from all directions. It was only about 4" but everything else had managed to miss it.

True, I do have HF coils too but i prefer the 11" in forests where there is very small number of items.

EDIT: and HF coils do loose quite a bit of depth when running at their max rated frequency, in typical Finnish forest my targets can be more than 30cm deep buried under organic layer.

As a former Deus owner I'll be the first to agree the Deus is much faster.

Oh, and I also ran the Deus at this same spot!

Not saying the Deus is any better or worse, I happen to be a big Deus fan, I'm just saying it is what it is. Just my results.

Really I think some people put far too much weight in speed. It has it's place like everything else, but speed isn't the do-all feature. Just as "Low & Slow" has it's place..

So you haven't actually compared Deus head to head against Nox then? Right.
So if the Deus is indeed faster.
Check this out.
This pic.
29wmo77.jpg

I cannot get Deus 11" LF coil to give 2 tones depicting 2 different coins of different conductivity levels.
Nox park 2 speed 8 will do. I actually get tone and ID giving me clue dime near nickel. Full sweeps using both detectors.

And I tried multi tone with appropriate tone break giving nickel mid tone and dime high tone.
Tried full tones.
No cigars given here to Deus period.
You drop Nox in a modern trash site it It'll punish Deus coil size for coil size.
Oh but the Deus is faster? Nope

Both the test above and this next one done this morning,
Deus 11" LF coil, Nox stock coil.
So Deus is faster, doesn't really matter.
Check out this pic.
30a6sys.jpg

Deus will not pass this test sweeping down barrel of nails. Deus fast disc 6 all freqs and all reactivity settings/silencer. Iron vol off.
Nox park 2 speed 7 bingo.
More to ?Nox's inner workings besides pure speed too. Got some thing to do with it's ability to disregard ferrous somehow.
And I believe this was mentioned by engineer over at Minelab's site when talking about tech inside Nox.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. Maybe this should be the title of my next video. Deus vs 800 in non ferrous separation.

Too bad i don't have US coins

When I first got my Nox and started fiddling with.
You know how long it took me to see some thing (using-testing) to make me go inside my house and bring out the mighty Deus because I saw some thing?
About 15minutes.
Got news for folks too.
Nox will outperform Deus wearing 9" LF coil in certain tests too.
And also the HF coils.
But the poor little Nox just has one coil.
Even being, it does real well.
Boys and Girls.
Remember I have posted loads of positive things about Deus here on this forum and elsewhere.
But Nox gets it dues here too.

Here's another pic.
2d0ksr7.jpg

Can't get Deus to tell me higher conductor dime exist full sweeps.
Nox does park 2 speed 7

Seems Nox coil edges stay more ready for signals.
Deus coil edges more dead.

One more Deus Nox comparison.Both with 11" DD coils. Down the nail barrel sweeps.
35hpe2g.jpg

Deus, only way it will pass this test in any fashion is reactivity 5 and the coil placed extremely close to items when sweeping.

Used Deus fast all reactivity, disc 6.0.iron vol off.
No real coil height can be used and get any sign of the dime sitting there.

Nox
Park 2 multi freq, factory disc. Speed 7 and 8.
I get stutter tone coming from right with sweeps, and good trailing tone when sweeping from left to right.
And I get tone with at least 7" coil height. Maybe more.
Nox is finding me something to investigate. To turn on target, then I would likely get even better signal.

With coin removed neither Deus or Nox make no sound on the nail with disc levels used.
Oh yeah, I've been testing Deus and Nox alright.
Definitely like a whole lot of what I see with Nox too.
I can say based on field use, and testing. It is a no sham detector.
Minelab did well with it.
At least I think so.

I don’t buy into the whole “ I took my new machine to my hammered site and found stuff my others missed”. Maybe my skills are not up to par but I have found things in spots I know I have hammered with the same detector. I think the ground changes daily, atleast around here. For instance just this weekend I pounded a curb strip Saturday and found some stuff went back yesterday, using the same machine, same program and nailed a Barber Quarter. I know I swung over it numerous times on Saturday. Maybe I was at just the right angle idk...

I hear you there; lots of reasons finds are made in hammered sites that have nothing to do with the second machine being better than the first: different swing angle, overlaps put different part of coil over object, different moisture, different phase of the moon... I did find two silver dimes with the Equinox in a place I had been over multiple times with the Etrac, but am reluctant to say I would not also have found them with the Etrac. What I find more telling is that in this iron-infested site, the Equinox unmistakably sees more. Whether in discrimination or AM, it is separating and sounding on more objects (most of them junk, to be sure). Now, if I went there with an Impact, I might say the same thing--I don't know.

Honestly I don't put a nickel in these type of tests, I feel like I'm at barnum and bailey, but if you insist.

Now tn, do the same test with the 9.5 HF coil on the Deus.

Case closed!

Back
Top Bottom