• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Beating a dead horse

Jason

Elite Member
I know that my signature says I have a Prizm III, but I have sold it. I don't really know why. In some regards I discounted it as just an entry level "toy". But after doing some more research, they really are not bad at all. I liked the Prizm III, and felt like it was superior to the popular Ace 250. Now I am shopping for my next MD.

More than likely I will stick with the White's line since that is what I have always had. I have once considered the Minelab Quattro. I'm thinking of the Prizm V. It seems to have everything I am looking for. The only thing holding me back is the lack of available aftermarket coils. Sure, Jimmy Sierra has a Bigfoot for the Prizm's but I would also like a DD (at least 5x10) and a small sniper coil like a 5" or better for the trashy areas. If anyone knows of coils for the Prizm please let me know. I would like to hold out for a DFX/XLT. My local dealer has 5 reconditioned DFX's for $745 and XLT's for $500-600. In my research I can't seem to find a whole lot of difference in the DFX/XLT except for the frequency and it looks as though the DFX may hold more user programs. And of course, my desire for accessory coils is fulfilled with the DFX/XLT models 10 fold.

My main interests are coins/relics. I will buy a seperate machine for the beach. Since I live in civil war country, I am also thinking of a 2-box system. I just know I can find some cannonballs/shells across the river from Vicksburg.

So, to beat a dead horse, please look over my finding/desires/needs and help me come up with something. I know I may be overlooking something, so feel free to throw in other ideas. Thanks.

Jason, we have the DFX and think it is great, however we are new to the art of MD'ing and are by no means experts. I would advise listening to the "experts" and then going with what my pockets could afford. The only way that I think you will learn which is the best is to use one of the models you are considering, whether it is through a club or people you know who have different models. We also have a Coinmaster and relized that where the handle is situated makes a huge difference on the comfort and visual aspects of how or whether you use it often. Good luck and HH!

Thanks for the advice. Since I am familier with the Prizm'z, I will call my friend who is a local Whites dealer and ask if he has a demo DFX/XLT

Your dealer's prices seem a bit steep, but I can't say for sure. I would check Ebay prices for a reference, although I would be willing to pay a bit more to a reputable, knowlegeable dealer for the security, and after sale support.

You didn't mention the M6. I would definitely check it out if you are looking for XLT performance without the gadgets. It takes any coil for the E series. (dfx/xlt/mxt)

I have the MXT and recommend it highly, especially if you will be doing a considerable amount of relic hunting.

As far as XLT vs DFX. I would be tickled with either one and just look for the best deal.

Hope your not detectorless too long :(

mxtswinger said:
Hope your not detectorless too long :(

Thanks! It's just about killing me not having one. But having the forum to read everyday help.

I haven't really thought about the M6. It takes coils for the DFX/XLT/MXT???

Why not a Nautilus DMC ?
U.S. made. Finds coins at great depth and excellent on relics . Drawback is the weight but if you can handle that it a great machine.

Thanks Brian. Just looked that up on the net. That looks like a serious machine. There you go throwing a kink in my research. It always seems that when I get close to making up my mind something new pops up that I have to think about :(

mxtswinger said:
...You didn't mention the M6. I would definitely check it out if you are looking for XLT performance without the gadgets. It takes any coil for the E series. (dfx/xlt/mxt)

Small correction. The M6/MXT/DFX share the same coils. The XLT uses different coils.

I've said it before and I'll mention it again, the M6 is a solid machine for the price. Great on coins and jewlery.

With the right luck, you'll be able to find an M6 for ~ $75 more than an on sale Prizm V..which in my opinion is a great deal.

The M6 is basically the same machine as the MXT, just no prospecting or relic modes. Relic mode was the same as the coin and jewelry mode anyway truth be told. If you're not going gold prospecting, you might consider the M6 over the MXT.

Some one else mentioned the MXT earlier. I went to the Whites site and pulled out my catalog and read up on it. Looks like a good machine. Haven't made up my mind on the M6 yet, still reading. My main interest is Relics first, then coins.

Well, I thought it was just me who can't decide on the new machine.

Jason said:
Thanks Brian.  Just looked that up on the net.  That looks like a serious machine.  There you go throwing a kink in my research.  It always seems that when I get close to making up my mind something new pops up that I have to think about  :(

I know exactly how you're feeling :?:  :( :?:

In my case, I still haven't used one yet

Good luck Reda. They say that this hobby is an obsession. It IS! Not only in using, but also in buying. Seems that everytime I buy one, 2 months later I start looking for another one. Some people on this forum may have 10 or more!

Back
Top Bottom