Sign of silver?

Usa

Elite Member
Hey,I found 2 of these all brass shotgung shells recently and was wondering if there could be some old coins,maybe silver, nearby?

Attachments

• KIMG0486.jpg
    KIMG0486.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 210
  • KIMG0483.jpg
    KIMG0483.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 192
It could possibly indicate that there could be other items in the area. It all depends on the area, the previous use of the area etc. Those old brass shells are in the 100 year old and maybe older range. I definitely would spend some more time working that area. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

They still make all brass 410 shells, but those do look old. Somebody was there years ago, that's always a good sign.

Sadly, shell casings don't always indicate coins are nearby, but it does prove there was activity, so maybe...maybe.

OP- I've run across lots of shell casings in the fields I've hunted, both rifle and shotgun. What brought me to those fields, was the fact that at some point, there was a home there. The shells were just incidentals from looking for coins/relics.

That said....it is "possible" silver is there? Sure. Have you any indication of what was on the property you found the shells? What put you on that property to begin with?

Are you finding any nails, building debris, relics?

Deleted my reply myself, and thanks SBR, I was in the process of reporting this guy (not you OP). Please go read his prior posts, this is SOP for him.

My favorite "sign of silver" is the lowly wheat cent. Haven't had much luck finding coins with spent casings. BUT silver can really be anywhere that people dropped coins pre 1964. Keep hunting.

USA. Don't give up on the site. Like others have said, If you're finding shell casings that means people have been in the area. I started hunting the woods up from the house and found tons of head stamps and casings. Then one day I found 3 wheats and silver quarter. Been back to the same area many times and can't seem to find anything else.

Best advice is research the area and see if you can determine if there has been buildings or any signs of occupation. Check out Historical Aerials. It's a pretty good site to give you some ideas. Also, Use Google Earth.

https://www.historicaerials.com/

Good Luck!!!

thanks for all the input, I really like it when kind people help each other.

I don't know why my post was deleted, I didn't break any rules. Sorry for any inconvenience,I wouldn't have responded if I thought it would be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom