Spoons..bust em out...

Hi all, hope your all well. Heres a picture of my silver fork i found with my MD a while back. I took a picture of it before i removed it from the ground. The spoon is also a MD find but not silver. It has a humpty dumty design on the handle.

Cheers and Happy Hunting

Attachments

• SF1.jpg
    SF1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 396
  • SF2.jpg
    SF2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 403
  • SF3.jpg
    SF3.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 395
  • SF5.jpg
    SF5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 410
  • SF6.jpg
    SF6.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 398
I haven't found any silverware in a long time , years ago it seemed like a common find.

My wife has an antique silverware set passed down to her from her grandmother that I wouldn't mind having.......and selling :lol: Apart from that I haven't found any real silverware since I moved to Ohio from Georgia.

Hi all, hope your all well. Heres a picture of my silver fork i found with my MD a while back. I took a picture of it before i removed it from the ground. The spoon is also a MD find but not silver. It has a humpty dumty design on the handle.

Cheers and Happy Hunting

Cool Humpty Dumpty spoon, that other one looks really old!!!

<°)))>{

I have found mostly just silver plated stuff, I have found 2 parts of silver spoons but that was all until this one popped up.
Marked sterling and very neat....small like a baby spoon and nowhere full size, 4.25" long, might have been made for small toddlers.
It says Kitty Cat At Breakfast with a picture of a cat, spoon and bowl, I love it because it is way cool and unique.

Attachments

• photostudio_1473508337854_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1473508337854_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
I have found mostly just silver plated stuff, I have found 2 parts of silver spoons but that was all until this one popped up.
Marked sterling and very neat....small like a baby spoon and nowhere full size, 4.25" long, might have been made for small toddlers.
It says Kitty Cat At Breakfast with a picture of a cat, spoon and bowl, I love it because it is way cool and unique.

Wonder if it was like a kids set, where the fork had for example, doggy at dinner?

That is a cool one!!

<°)))>{

Wonder if it was like a kids set, where the fork had for example, doggy at dinner?

That is a cool one!!

<°)))>{

Thanks!

Three only other pic I found on the net or info about this was a set of these on a nursery rhyme silver collector's site..a spoon and a small fork.
Found in an area where I have dug items dating back to the early 1900's so I assume this was from the same era.
Maybe one day I will come across that fork.

Attachments

• IMG_4713.jpg
    IMG_4713.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 378
Fork and knife love??

A real silver spoon is totally on my bucket list, but no luck yet in my first few months as a detector. The designs on some of yours are unbelievable.

Question though, why do spoons get all the love? What happened to forks and knives? Were those invented that much later or used that much less? Boggles my mind. I actually found 2 cheapo dinner knives in my own yard, and they have to be less than 20 yrs old.

Here is a pic anyway.

Attachments

• 2016-09-10 21.00.28.jpg
    2016-09-10 21.00.28.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 358
A real silver spoon is totally on my bucket list, but no luck yet in my first few months as a detector. The designs on some of yours are unbelievable.

Question though, why do spoons get all the love? What happened to forks and knives? Were those invented that much later or used that much less? Boggles my mind. I actually found 2 cheapo dinner knives in my own yard, and they have to be less than 20 yrs old.

Here is a pic anyway.

I often wondered that myself.
Knives and forks have been around just as long and I have found a few of each but I find mostly spoons when I dig up eating utensils from that baby spoon up to a large soup ladle.
All still better than regular trash.

I see two main reasons why we find way more spoons..

Kids use them for digging..

Also if wanted to carry only one utensil, a spoon can do a lot of things a fork can't, like soups and such.. A lot of people carry a knife anyway already..

But a spork is really the best over all.. Although I don't think a sterling spork will ever be found.. lol

<°)))>{

Found this silver spoon this summer. Hallmark tells me it's early 1900's. The fact that the "D" matches my last name was a bonus!

Attachments

• April spoons.jpg
    April spoons.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 451
  • April D.jpg
    April D.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 380
I see two main reasons why we find way more spoons..

Kids use them for digging..

Also if wanted to carry only one utensil, a spoon can do a lot of things a fork can't, like soups and such.. A lot of people carry a knife anyway already..

But a spork is really the best over all.. Although I don't think a sterling spork will ever be found.. lol

<°)))>{

Don't be so sure, this unique design goes back to the 1870's and has been pretty popular up until today.
The word spork actually started becoming popular in the early 1900's.

In the early days these were called Ice Cream Forks for some reason, their original intended use I guess, and these types were usually more elegant and ornate than regular versions and silver was very popular in their manufacturing.
Here is a pic of one off of EBay from the 1920's.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-ice-cream-fork.htm

Attachments

• 876475986_tp.jpg
    876475986_tp.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 363
Don't be so sure, this unique design goes back to the 1870's and has been pretty popular up until today.
The word spork actually started becoming popular in the early 1900's.

In the early days these were called Ice Cream Forks for some reason, their original intended use I guess, and these types were usually more elegant and ornate than regular versions and silver was very popular in their manufacturing.
Here is a pic of one off of EBay from the 1920's.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-ice-cream-fork.htm

Get out! Never would have thought... Thanks for sharing man!!

<°)))>{

It was mentioned in another thread, that I should post my spoon found at a park, here, in the Eye Popping section (thanks Dirty Rob!)

So as not to create two threads about the same..but not wanting to loose out on a chance to post in the Eye Popping section.. lol

I think it would be fun thread if everyone that has dug up some real silver table items to put em up!!

Here is mine.. "quote from the other thread"

I got this real crisp signal, (Rang up as a 95-99 on the ATP @ 6 inches deep) put the pointer in and it pointed at the whole bottom, I'm thinking trash!. Dug a little more and tapped on the object..

The dirt fell away, ever so much, and saw the shank and in that I knew I had my 4th ever spoon!

But this one was a shiner, I knew it was silver right away. It got a little messed up from the digger, and also from whatever else it was used for..

I knew it was a keeper right away, so I put it away and took it home and cleaned it under water and a tooth brush. And wow, if this is not the coolest spoon I have ever seen.. So much detail, I'd rather dig this than a silver dollar IMO...

Thanks all!!

<*)))>{

1.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-3.jpg

6-1.jpg

Boy I would love to stir my coffee with that!

That is indeed a beautiful spoon.
I think i would clean it and use it to stir my coffee as well! Too nice not to be. That way i could enjoy it every day.:lol:

Found this one last week. First time I've ever need t found a single coin but this is a great substitution. Stamped Chas Myers & Co which started in 1840. A 5 piece set of their sterling flatware sells for $1245.

Friend hinted she is missing a sterling spoon for her set. I suggested she send me the rest and then I would have a complete set!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 311
Back
Top Bottom