Detecting around metal poles

z118

Forum Supporter
Does anyone have any tips for detecting around fixed metal poles, in particular the legs of playground equipment?

I'm using a BH Tracker IV, and at this point it is impossible for me to detect with 8-12 inches of any kind of metal pole. I usually work in discriminate with the sensitivity up around 3 o'clock. Anytime I swing within 10 inches of a pole the detector just beeps like crazy. Seems like I could be missing a lot of good real estate this way... I've tried turning sensitivity down, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks!

Xray said:
As stated, knock the sensitivity down to 3 or 4 bars at most around large metal.
Sweep real slow, and you can usually come to within about 2 or 3 inches of them ... And the signal from them will be different that the signal if something is there.
Try deliberatly setting off the detector by a large metal support, it will give a reading of a quarter or 50 cent piece 4 to 6 inches. If there is something there, this signal will jump from that to whatever it is that is there.
You could even, after finding out what the metal obstruction is ringing up as, simply notch it out, so the Ace will alert for anything but that.
This works great, unless the large metal is jumping around the scale.
Its really the pinpointing that can get tricky but again, with practice, you'll hear the sharp drop in tone that is associated, I think, with an object with defined edges right under the coil vs. one that is roundish and uniform, to the side.

I did find this in an earlier thread, but as I'm using the Tracker IV, I don't have the ability to "notch out" poles...

Thanks!

Lowering the sensitivity gets me a few inches closer.

Back
Top Bottom