• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

telephone poles

catbird

If you search sidewalk right-a-ways, the strip of land between street and yard, always check around telephone poles. The lineman who climb and service these poles are reaching into there pockets for keys or nuts and bolts, so at the same time maybe they are losing change, or a nice buck knife, like i found about a year ago. Give it a shot, maybe some silver to be had around the older areas.

If you search sidewalk right-a-ways, the strip of land between street and yard, always check around telephone poles. The lineman who climb and service these poles are reaching into there pockets for keys or nuts and bolts, so at the same time maybe they are losing change, or a nice buck knife, like i found about a year ago. Give it a shot, maybe some silver to be had around the older areas.

Being a telco lineman I can say that when I climb I don't reach into my pockets. Generally my safety belt blocks access to my jeans pockets. If I need something it's in my dittybag or my Maxpedition NeatFreak.

I even made it into their catalog last year.

I'm sure I was the source of whatever downturn in sales that they had... :D

Semper Fi

I always work around the poles when I do an older yard.The hunks of scrap copper under them from splices/repairs and hook-ups are worth alot more than a handfull of clad. Especially if you get lucky and find alot or some big chunks!...:cool:...I dont bother saving any of the aluminum pcs under some...YET!;)

Good idea but..

Good idea but the emf might affect your machine depending on the power going thru the lines. Your detector will sound like its going crazy. Good luck though.

I Retired from Verizon, don't know of anyone that was able to get to their pockets when gaffing a pole, now most of the techs have bucket trucks, but give it a try anything is possible

all our poles are new because a storm sheared the old ones off last year,lol.

to be honest I have not seen anyone actually climb a pole in many years, everyone uses bucket trucks now, or helicopters.

Seems like scrap copper would be the main find in pole areas. Not a bad find, mind you. RickO

I always dig around poles just for the scrap copper, one time I did snag a wheatie from near an old pole. They're fun to search around.

All I've found is general hardware around poles. Odd stuff, but nothing of value unless you own a utility company.

Back
Top Bottom