Pick up truck and engine guys. I need little help.

Sonny b

Elite Member
I am thinking about buying a new truck. I wrote down every thing I wanted in a replacement truck. Here is the list.

1. 4 wheel drive.
2. Small 4 or 6 cylinder diesel engine
3. Plain no frills interior.
4. Compact or mid sized frame.
5. Two door with a little extension behind the seat.
6. Five speed manual transmission.

I am willing to special order foreign or domestic. I looked at the f 150s and the Chevys but they don't (as far as I know do diesels in light duty trucks)

I will use it mostly for commuting 60 miles round trip Mon thru Fri to work and light farm work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sonny.

I have not seen a compact truck with a diesel in years.

I know it. I bought a(I think The last year they made them) 1984 Datson brand new with a 4 cylinder diesel 5 speed manual. It was perfect but I wore it out and wound up buying a gas powered Toyota next. Wonder if I have to order from Europe.:?:

Judt dont get a Ford Ranger, they arent bad, just bad fuel milage, even if you special order a diesel. Get a Toyota, they last forever and get great milage... And are now made "assembled" in the united states.

Judt dont get a Ford Ranger, they arent bad, just bad fuel milage, even if you special order a diesel. Get a Toyota, they last forever and get great milage... And are now made "assembled" in the united states.

I wonder if I can get a Toyota with a small diesel.

Get a Ford Ranger 4X4 with an extended cab with a V6, and 5 or 6 speed, or trans with overdrive, with limited slip ends. As you know, when you get a 4X4 the rear ends ratios are higher (4:11) than the regular 2X4, 3:36 which are lower. Did I mess you up with all this? Good luck. (:-O)

Get a Ford Ranger 4X4 with an extended cab with a V6, and 5 or 6 speed, or trans with overdrive, with limited slip ends. As you know, when you get a 4X4 the rear ends ratios are higher (4:11) than the regular 2X4, 3:36 which are lower. Did I mess you up with all this? Good luck. (:-O)

I am good with all of that. But I wanted a small diesel engine. Do they have that option?

The higher the # the lower the gear.Ken

I am good with all of that. But I wanted a small diesel engine. Do they have that option?

Why on earth would anyone want a small diesel engine?

Relative to gas engines, diesel fuel is more expensive, not as universally available, diesel engine maintenance is a PITA - especially trying to keep it within emission specs, and you need a rich uncle if you ever need repairs.

Sonny I would urge you to look at the F-150 one more time or even a Ranger Ford just came out with it's newest line of engines. One of them in particular has the rest of the truck brands crapping in their pants. It's called the Ecoboost they come in a a couple different variants but the main point is that Ford got rid of it's 5.0 and 6.7 litre V8's and replaced them with the Ecoboost that makes almost the same horsepower but its a 3.5 litre V6 twin turbo. The MSRP for the F-150 bare bones is 22,790 thats with the new engine it gets 22MPG! thats the same as a mid size truck but you get 365 HP and 420 LB-Ft of torque. Here is a link for one of the videos about the new Ecoboost there are 6 in total some of them put the engine against the competitor http://youtu.be/J-fCzBHVFTY

As for getting a Diesel compact truck that will be pretty impossible unless your in Europe. The Ranger gets 22 MPG in the city and 27 MPG on the highway I think that is really good for a truck it's better than the Tacoma and the Chevy Colorado.

Isuzu P'up

They stopped bringing them to the USA many years ago, but that is what your description best matches, so far as I know.
My Brother in law had one, and I borrowed it once. I liked it, but they didn't sell enough of them to justify the dealer network so they pulled out of the USA.
HH,
John Morton

Chrysler had a really good Benz 3.7 diesel v6 they used in 05-08 Grand Cherokee's, not sure if Dodge used them in any trucks though.

Sonny I would urge you to look at the F-150 one more time or even a Ranger Ford just came out with it's newest line of engines. One of them in particular has the rest of the truck brands crapping in their pants. It's called the Ecoboost they come in a a couple different variants but the main point is that Ford got rid of it's 5.0 and 6.7 litre V8's and replaced them with the Ecoboost that makes almost the same horsepower but its a 3.5 litre V6 twin turbo. The MSRP for the F-150 bare bones is 22,790 thats with the new engine it gets 22MPG! thats the same as a mid size truck but you get 365 HP and 420 LB-Ft of torque. Here is a link for one of the videos about the new Ecoboost there are 6 in total some of them put the engine against the competitor http://youtu.be/J-fCzBHVFTY

As for getting a Diesel compact truck that will be pretty impossible unless your in Europe. The Ranger gets 22 MPG in the city and 27 MPG on the highway I think that is really good for a truck it's better than the Tacoma and the Chevy Colorado.

I have looked at the ecoboost ford came out with and I do like the F 150. I might go that route. And you are right about scaring the crap out the other guys. I watched a youtube of a heads up towing competition with chevy and dodge and the ford slayed them with that little motor. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom