Need Good Method For Cleaning These Nickels.

ToddB64

Elite Member
Hi Everyone ! :tiphat:

Attached is a photo of (6) Nickels I found at a Park recently and I need a good method for cleaning these, to restore them to a nice appearance if possible.

I was using my Tesoro Compadre with the 5.75" solid round coil, with the discrimination indicator set at the "F" in FOIL.

My hunt lasted for about 2-hours until darkness came. I was scanning a small grassy area about 6' x 12' right in back of one particular Basketball pole and recovered the (6) Nickels, (3) Quarters, (1) Quarter-size Token, (2) Dimes, (4) Pennies, (3) Staytabs, (1) BeaverTail PullTab and (2) Pieces of Canslaw = (22) digs and $1.29 total in coins.

I realize the above is a small number of finds, but I was overjoyed with that many coins from one relatively small area. Also, finding six Nickels told me I have a good Disc. setting to find small gold rings in the future ! (Knowledgible Detectorists know that Nickels and thin 10K rings share almost the same conductivity.)

Please let me know if you have a Nickel cleaning method that works well.

Thanks in advance for your help. :bowdown:

ToddB64

Attachments

• NICKELS FOUND IN PARK 001.jpg
    NICKELS FOUND IN PARK 001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:
Trickworm,

Thanks for the info. on cleaning my Nickels ! :thankyou: I knew they were only worth face value; just wanted to clean them up a bit for my collection.

I keep finds from each hunt in Zip-bags with a note giving the date and place where found, detector and pinpointer used and any other important particulars. Some day I plan to remove all the coins and exchange them at the bank for paper money to buy something....woohoo!... the rest I'll use to make an eclectic collage !

My file folder of cleaning methods for Silver and clad Quarters, Dimes, pre and post '82 Pennies, is lacking info. for Nickels. I'm sure it exists somewhere on this forum, but where, so posting a question was easier than :research: :giggle:

You know, after 100+ views and 0 replies, I was beginning to wonder if I had said something offensive ! ;) Thanks for tossing me the life jacket !

ToddB64

Last edited:
Since they are only worth face value, what I do is tumble my clad coins and return them to circulation. If you are wanting to clean them up for show, I suggest getting a nickel, silver or metal cleaner from your local store and using a q tip to clean them up a bit. A lot of times nickels are the most stubborn to come clean though and it may be pretty hard to get them all nice and shiny after they have been in the ground a while.

Just purchase a small tumbler from harbor freight.If you want to keep your change more manageable,drop 5 of them in the nearest soda machine,hit the coin return,and a clean quarter will come out.

Todd, good post. I have some old Indian head nickels that I do not want to tumble. They are sort of a crusty red color. I'd love to get them clean without damaging them.

Steel wool like an SOS pad. Nickel is harder than steel and they are just clad so have at it!

Pop in into a soda machine and push the return button and you will get "clean" shiney coins back. They are only worth face value anyway. OR you could buy a soda ;-) martin

Pop in into a soda machine and push the return button and you will get "clean" shiney coins back. They are only worth face value anyway. OR you could buy a soda ;-) martin

Martin,

Thanks for the tip, but I like to initially keep all original coin finds with dates & mint marks for my collection. Then, if I do decide to spend the "collection" some day, I will sort out any coins I want to keep for whatever reason in the collection and use your idea before taking the rest to the bank to trade for paper "spending" money.

Since my six nickels looked so bad, I was just looking for a good method to clean them up a bit before storing away in collection. I think I have enough nickel-cleaning information now to do that, thanks to everyones replies ! :thankyou:

"OR you could buy a soda ;-)".........:lol: Todd

Last edited:

:heartylaugh:

Thank you for a great laugh. I needed that!

I use my tumbler, add stone chips, water, and some dishwasher liquid. Works real nice on clad.

Back
Top Bottom