1964 D Silver Penny???

I have found several memmorial pennies in similar condition.

One seemed to have been a lark perpetrated by a high school student... the old mercury trick.

The others seemed to have had the copper cladding removed somehow, possibly chemically and left with the zinc core exposed. Perhaps some people have found a way to economically strip off the copper and then put the bare zinc penny back into circulation??

I have found several memmorial pennies in similar condition.

One seemed to have been a lark perpetrated by a high school student... the old mercury trick.

The others seemed to have had the copper cladding removed somehow, possibly chemically and left with the zinc core exposed. Perhaps some people have found a way to economically strip off the copper and then put the bare zinc penny back into circulation??

This is a 1964 so Zinc shouldnt be an issue. Does the mercury "trick" cover the copper or change its appearance?

I coated one with solder when I was in highschool, it looked perfect. Heated the penny up and the solder flowed right over it in a thin layer. Probably used it as a dime ... hey, I was a stupid kid. I wonder what might have happened to that penny.

Your coin doesn't look anything like those... those are missing the rim yours is not... yours is most likely been tampered with..

looks like it has been galvanized, my uncle used to do that for us when i was younger

Yeah, you can see the brass where the edge is nicked. This one was plated or coated with something.

i heard that the government wanted to make pennies out of aluminum becuase of the rising costs of copper. The mint made some samples to show to congress, but some where not returned.

if you run it under a detector, what does it read?

and if it was on a dime plancet then it would be cut off becuase pennies are larger than dimes, but from the first picture it looks fully on the planclet

Hello all,

I think I found one of these too. I wish I would have only read the first half of the thread :D

2hcoob7.jpg

2q2o7z4.jpg

Can't seem to find any trace of brass and/or copper even on the sides though... Either way, fake or not, I'll keep it. The way I found it is the vending machine kept spitting it out - I thought it was a nickel...

i heard that the government wanted to make pennies out of aluminum becuase of the rising costs of copper. The mint made some samples to show to congress, but some where not returned.

if you run it under a detector, what does it read?

and if it was on a dime plancet then it would be cut off becuase pennies are larger than dimes, but from the first picture it looks fully on the planclet

There were only 12 aluminium pennies struck and most were promptly destroyed. The only one that I know of still in existence is in the Smithsonian. It is also a Federal crime to own one of those aluminium pennies.

Looks like it was used in a chemistry experiment. The aluminum cents were coined in 1974 IIRC and all were destroyed less one in the Smithsonian. Zinc plated cents were made until 1982. Occasionally a penny will turn up, post 1982, that is missing it's copper plating. Also, you can find "brass" coated zinc cents. Those are cents that were heated up to cause the copper and zinc to blend into brass.

Back
Top Bottom