• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Thrift store hunting?

Wife and I like to thrift store hunt. I REALLY like the pawn shops. But here's the thrift store "deal of the decade" for us. We went inside a thrift store in a local small town about 3-4 years ago, and I spotted an old gray and blue crock on a table with a 20.00 sticker on it. I grabbed it. It did have a couple of hairline cracks, but I liked it. I did some research on it and ended-up selling it on fee-bay for 6800.00. This is a pic of wifey pointing to the hairline.

Wow! So what's the story on that crock? Why so valuable?

Wow! So what's the story on that crock? Why so valuable?
It was made by Henry Lowndes(think I spelled it right,). He was a famous pottery maker in Petersburg, Va. If you do an E-search on him, alot of stuff should come up. One of his pieces sold for $15,000 before I sold mine. The buyer of that one was the same one who bought mine later. Wish I had a couple more! http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200902A38.html

I buy and sell a lot from CraigsList and need to hit the local thrifts here in the LA area.. there are bunch.

When I lived in L.A. for a year I did extremely well with cast and crew movie stuff that has been donated to thrift stores. You should be looking for stuff that is given out only to the cast and crew of movies. Crew jackets, hats, scripts, totes, etc.

Even check the knicks-knacks. Lots of time bigger name stars will give out strange items to the crew with the name of the movie in it.

Out Of The Closet by Cantors had good stuff pretty often. As did this huge thrift store out in Burbank. I forget the name.

I also did pretty good by going to yard sales and asking if they had any crew items or even props from old tv shows or films.

Best thing I got was a tiki statue used on the Monkee's tv show. Bought for $500 if I remember right. Sold for a couple of grand.

Simple, for real gold, if you rub it with a cloth, or slightly scratch it, if its plated the gold will rub off, and if you scratch it you will see to metals! same thing for silver!

Back
Top Bottom