No Xp ORX detector updates planned thus far.

That's right! Old news, TNSS, as that was over 3½ weeks ago, on a Findmall Forum, and my feelings haven't changed .. .

→ → → → THE ORX DOESN'T NEED ANY UPDATES!! ← ← ← ←

So many people think everything today needs to be 'updateable.' Phooey. If they can't make it right or at least functional, buy and use something that works the way you want and maybe a manufacturer will figure that out and make the next offering better. Not all detectors can be 'updated.'

How about having them 'update' the Fisher F44 and siblings to have the audio glitch fixed in the other modes to work like the Jewelry mode? I was told they can't fix it. Or maybe do an 'update' to he famous T2 series so it will have the Ground Balance adjustment functioning in the Discriminate modes and not just All Metal? Nope, their only going to have the preset GB. Why not an 'update' to add manual GB adjustment to the White's MXT All Pro or MX-7 or MX Sport? Nope, not 'updateable' or 'fixable.'

But all of these models work as they should, just like the XP ORX devices.

There's not a model out that I've ever used that I couldn't find something I would like to see 'fixed' or 'changed' or 'updated.' Not that all of them can be, or could be, or that the manufacturer would want to.

Monte

That's right! Old news, TNSS, as that was over 3½ weeks ago, on a Findmall Forum, and my feelings haven't changed .. .

→ → → → THE ORX DOESN'T NEED ANY UPDATES!! ← ← ← ←

So many people think everything today needs to be 'updateable.' Phooey. If they can't make it right or at least functional, buy and use something that works the way you want and maybe a manufacturer will figure that out and make the next offering better. Not all detectors can be 'updated.'

How about having them 'update' the Fisher F44 and siblings to have the audio glitch fixed in the other modes to work like the Jewelry mode? I was told they can't fix it. Or maybe do an 'update' to he famous T2 series so it will have the Ground Balance adjustment functioning in the Discriminate modes and not just All Metal? Nope, their only going to have the preset GB. Why not an 'update' to add manual GB adjustment to the White's MXT All Pro or MX-7 or MX Sport? Nope, not 'updateable' or 'fixable.'

But all of these models work as they should, just like the XP ORX devices.

There's not a model out that I've ever used that I couldn't find something I would like to see 'fixed' or 'changed' or 'updated.' Not that all of them can be, or could be, or that the manufacturer would want to.

Monte

Some folks may have been wondering especially folks who have the units.
Allowing owners to update a metal detector to fix glitches sounds so much like common sense.
Imagine if Minelab would have paid for shipping (even just return) shipping for all the EQXs folks owned at the time when the update was done to fix EQX struggling on big silver coins on edge in certain detect modes.
Would have cost a boat load. Right? Shipping cost have went up quite a bit. In case you don’t know.
So the paying customers as it turned out indeed was less of a hassle having NOT to ship their detector off doing without it.
And the backlight being changed on Nox 600 was grand to with update.

Folks can buy what they want.
I think a detector being able to be updated via Internet is GRAND. Actually 21st century grand.

Cheers.

PS
If designing a metal detector to be electronically updated is NOT such a good idea why does it seem most of the new releases medium and higher priced now are? Oh and even the elcheapo Simplex+ allows.

Last edited:
tnsharpshooter: said:
Some folks may have been wondering especially folks who have the units.
Yes, some might wonder, but I'd bet that most of the people who have acquired a XP ORX or Minelab Equinox, or a Nokta / Makro Impact, Kruzer, Anfibio or Simplex + are relatively newer to this great sport. That quite a few of them haven't owned a lot of detectors in the past, and perhaps a good number of them are younger (compared to you and me) and just look at things 'differently' than some of us.

To be honest, a lot of detector users to not really know what a detector model ... a modern detector model in this digital age ... is supposed to do. They haven't learned the strengths and weaknesses of many devices, and therefore don't know why they might NOT do something in certain circumstances. It's often because the detector just can't, and that's by overall circuitry design.

I've owned six models, other than my two ORX's, that had "updateable" capability, and I did a couple of the updates on two of them. I did NOT do any updates on all th others because while I didn't find a glitch or design that I didn't like all that much, I also learned what the device could and could-not do in the challenging sites I hunt. And since the unit worked OK, I didn't see a 'must-do' reason for an 'upgrade.'

Besides, on some of the 'updating' I had done I noticed a trade-off or two in other performance functions, and those sometimes made the change not worth it for the trade-off. I have read and heard of many people who have done some of the 'updates' with different brands and were not pleased, finding it better to go back to the original default which worked better.

Then there are the cases where not all units went completely back to the default setting, and that left th consumer with a mix of adjustments.

Allowing owners to update a metal detector to fix glitches sounds so much like common sense.
A lot of things people think they need to have 'fixed' are not completely able to be changed. Worse yet, a lot of detector users haven't really learned that particular detector, or have the experience to know why certain detectors work one way while a different make and model works differently. They then think it should work differently an, by design, it just isn't capable of doing so.

Engineers can sometimes have a tough time just trying to make a new model that will satisfy a range of consumers because they get different suggestions or directions from the 'powers-that-be' at the company just tying to make a new and different and worth product for the bulks of the consumers.

I've seen that, more than once, and with more than one manufacturer here in the good ol' USA. Engineer working on a brand new model with some unique design features, and at a point where the prototype is about ready for production, but ... The company president hears from some folks down in the SE 'Relic Hunting' area who tell him they had been evaluating a prototype and would like to see the detector work more like a Tesoro. He heads back and tells the design engineers to try and make the new model work more like a Tesoro.

The he heard from some guys in the mid-west who kind of liked the prototype, but not the segmented TID and wanted the new model to work more like a White's unit in both audio and visual Target ID. Another walk to share the news with the engineer. Again, asking for things to be changed so the detector worked 'differently' than it was originally designed.

The same thing happened a few times, with requests from another area where some loyal Fisher users asked for changes to make it be like they were used to. I felt sorry for the design engineer who knew what he as doing with detector design at the time, and was getting frustrated by the many visits and requests for change. So one day, I just stepped into his office and told him, the company President, what I thought about the new model design and how I liked some of the performance .... as it was supposed to be ... and also mentioned the things I liked about some Tesoro's, White's, Fisher and other models.

But explained to him that these are metal detectors and they need to work and work well, and fit certain categories and work well, but they are not a "one-size-fits-all" product. Yes, make a versatile detector, and make it right. But not mess around with how it works just to make some tweaks here and there so it works differently or like something else.

Imagine if Minelab would have paid for shipping (even just return) shipping for all the EQXs folks owned at the time when the update was done to fix EQX struggling on big silver coins on edge in certain detect modes.
Would have cost a boat load. Right? Shipping cost have went up quite a bit. In case you don’t know.
So the paying customers as it turned out indeed was less of a hassle having NOT to ship their detector off doing without it.
And the backlight being changed on Nox 600 was grand to with update.
I'm well aware of recent year and current shipping costs, and yes, fixing things at home might be appealing to some ..... But some can't do it well, and many are not fully aware of what some upgrades are really supposed to do.

Folks can buy what they want.
I think a detector being able to be updated via Internet is GRAND. Actually 21st century grand.
Great you like it, and that's what is good about forums. We can express and share our opinions.

Just like I shared mine, here and on Findmall, that in the case of the ORX, I enjoy mine and 'my opinion[/b]' is that I don't feel the ORX needs any 'updating.' To me, the ORX is just GRAND the way it is and how it works. I take advantage of the ORX for its strengths, and I'll grab a different device that I know and feel it provides better, and different, performance than I get from the ORX.

If designing a metal detector to be electronically updated is NOT such a good idea why does it seem most of the new releases medium and higher priced now are? Oh and even the elcheapo Simplex+ allows.
For the same reason new models might offer different search modes, audio Tone options, and other features that are kind of 'trendy.' Like Iron Audio Volume or adjustable Tone Breaks, etc. It's marketing more than being a really useful tool. If a detector is made to work and work well right from the time of introduction, there's no reason to try and change of 'fix' something that a design engineer missed or felt was not necessary.

And, by the way, the Simplex + is affordable or lower-priced, or some other reference other than "elcheapo" It's not my primary use detector, but it is fully worthy in design and performance to have a fit in my Detector Outfit.

Oh, and while it works fine, and while they might not offer some 'upgrades', I can live with it as is, and the only 'upgrade' I would like to see them do, if any, would not make a drastic change in how the units works and processes targets.

Anyway, these are simply our 'opinions' and not some point to dispute about.

Monte

Yes, some might wonder, but I'd bet that most of the people who have acquired a XP ORX or Minelab Equinox, or a Nokta / Makro Impact, Kruzer, Anfibio or Simplex + are relatively newer to this great sport. That quite a few of them haven't owned a lot of detectors in the past, and perhaps a good number of them are younger (compared to you and me) and just look at things 'differently' than some of us.

To be honest, a lot of detector users to not really know what a detector model ... a modern detector model in this digital age ... is supposed to do. They haven't learned the strengths and weaknesses of many devices, and therefore don't know why they might NOT do something in certain circumstances. It's often because the detector just can't, and that's by overall circuitry design.

I've owned six models, other than my two ORX's, that had "updateable" capability, and I did a couple of the updates on two of them. I did NOT do any updates on all th others because while I didn't find a glitch or design that I didn't like all that much, I also learned what the device could and could-not do in the challenging sites I hunt. And since the unit worked OK, I didn't see a 'must-do' reason for an 'upgrade.'

Besides, on some of the 'updating' I had done I noticed a trade-off or two in other performance functions, and those sometimes made the change not worth it for the trade-off. I have read and heard of many people who have done some of the 'updates' with different brands and were not pleased, finding it better to go back to the original default which worked better.

Then there are the cases where not all units went completely back to the default setting, and that left th consumer with a mix of adjustments.

A lot of things people think they need to have 'fixed' are not completely able to be changed. Worse yet, a lot of detector users haven't really learned that particular detector, or have the experience to know why certain detectors work one way while a different make and model works differently. They then think it should work differently an, by design, it just isn't capable of doing so.

Engineers can sometimes have a tough time just trying to make a new model that will satisfy a range of consumers because they get different suggestions or directions from the 'powers-that-be' at the company just tying to make a new and different and worth product for the bulks of the consumers.

I've seen that, more than once, and with more than one manufacturer here in the good ol' USA. Engineer working on a brand new model with some unique design features, and at a point where the prototype is about ready for production, but ... The company president hears from some folks down in the SE 'Relic Hunting' area who tell him they had been evaluating a prototype and would like to see the detector work more like a Tesoro. He heads back and tells the design engineers to try and make the new model work more like a Tesoro.

The he heard from some guys in the mid-west who kind of liked the prototype, but not the segmented TID and wanted the new model to work more like a White's unit in both audio and visual Target ID. Another walk to share the news with the engineer. Again, asking for things to be changed so the detector worked 'differently' than it was originally designed.

The same thing happened a few times, with requests from another area where some loyal Fisher users asked for changes to make it be like they were used to. I felt sorry for the design engineer who knew what he as doing with detector design at the time, and was getting frustrated by the many visits and requests for change. So one day, I just stepped into his office and told him, the company President, what I thought about the new model design and how I liked some of the performance .... as it was supposed to be ... and also mentioned the things I liked about some Tesoro's, White's, Fisher and other models.

But explained to him that these are metal detectors and they need to work and work well, and fit certain categories and work well, but they are not a "one-size-fits-all" product. Yes, make a versatile detector, and make it right. But not mess around with how it works just to make some tweaks here and there so it works differently or like something else.

I'm well aware of recent year and current shipping costs, and yes, fixing things at home might be appealing to some ..... But some can't do it well, and many are not fully aware of what some upgrades are really supposed to do.

Great you like it, and that's what is good about forums. We can express and share our opinions.

Just like I shared mine, here and on Findmall, that in the case of the ORX, I enjoy mine and 'my opinion[/b]' is that I don't feel the ORX needs any 'updating.' To me, the ORX is just GRAND the way it is and how it works. I take advantage of the ORX for its strengths, and I'll grab a different device that I know and feel it provides better, and different, performance than I get from the ORX.

For the same reason new models might offer different search modes, audio Tone options, and other features that are kind of 'trendy.' Like Iron Audio Volume or adjustable Tone Breaks, etc. It's marketing more than being a really useful tool. If a detector is made to work and work well right from the time of introduction, there's no reason to try and change of 'fix' something that a design engineer missed or felt was not necessary.

And, by the way, the Simplex + is affordable or lower-priced, or some other reference other than "elcheapo" It's not my primary use detector, but it is fully worthy in design and performance to have a fit in my Detector Outfit.

Oh, and while it works fine, and while they might not offer some 'upgrades', I can live with it as is, and the only 'upgrade' I would like to see them do, if any, would not make a drastic change in how the units works and processes targets.

Anyway, these are simply our 'opinions' and not some point to dispute about.

Monte

All I can is is I am glad to finally see you have Xp detector as one of your detectors. I always wondered why you stayed away from Deus all those years hunting ghost towns. Deus and ORX are both very good in the iron.

Monte

Hi Monte,

I use my ORX for gold prospecting and for relic hunting (in some cases recently I am actually looking for larger iron targets from a fallen flag narrow gauge railroad) and like several others have said here and on other forums, the only thing I would change on the ORX is to have more than one volume level for the Iron Volume on/off setting. For a four to eight hour hunt when I need to have the Iron Volume and IAR on, it would be great to have low, medium, and high settings or just low and high. The present Iron Volume "on" setting is way too loud unless there is a 20 mph or more wind where I hunt and it causes nauseating audio fatigue at least for me. The Iron Volume feature, even as it is now, is one of my absolute favorite features since it turns the ORX in the Gold Modes into a true 2-tone ferrous/non-ferrous detector and sets it a notch above the Deus and several other dedicated gold prospecting VLFs. I rarely even need to look at the screen, which is a good thing. Most of the terrain I hunt in is mountainous or desert and can be treacherous for a youngster which I am not, and I need to watch where and what I'm stepping on for my own safety instead of having my eyes glued to a screen while walking across a 45 degree incline boulder strewn mountain side, when I can't take any more blasting Iron Volume audio...............and have to turn it off.

The Iron Volume On/Off is already part of the software. Adding incremental Iron Volume does not seem to be that difficult.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom