Looking to use rechargeable batteries. looking for input.

Dakotademon7

Forum Supporter
I'm looking to use rechargeable batteries in my Minelab but I really don't know anything about rechargeable batteries other then you can recharge them. Lol. My detector has the battery holder that takes 8 AA batteries. I just want to make sure it won't hurt my detector. Any input on this is welcomed. Like said, I just don't want to hurt my detector.

I use rechargeables in both my detectors - An F2 and an AT Pro.
Love them - no problems at all, work well.
Notice no problems, they even seem to last longer than regular batteries..

I use Energizer brand - have AA and D sizes.
Some say the ones you get from Harbor Freight work good but i can not comment on them.

I say go for it - they last a good long time and you will save money in the long run

Thanks for the input. I seen 8x AA batteries and 4 spot charger on ebay for about $ 13.00. I'll look up the ones posted about.

When I used the ML Sovereign GT with 8 AA sized rechargeables it was a no go.
Even with full charged batteries the Sov wasn't running.
8x1.2 Vols = 9.6 Volts
So I started to use 10 AAA sized batteries and that worked.
The original rechargeable battery kit from ML also contains 10 cells
(but not AAA or AA sized).
10x1.2 Volts = 12 Volts
So if you're going to use something selfmade be sure to have 12 Volts.
Just my 2cent

Rechargables

I have about 20 recharagabes that we used in our business walky talkies twelve years ago , and have used them in other things since then . I started using them in my detector three years ago with only one gone bad. So most of them are at least 15 years old and going strong. They were from radioshack. I recharge them after about 15 hours of use but they are still doing ok in my MXT even then. LOVE THEM>

For AA batteries, nothing beats eneloops. Can get 8 AA eneloops and eneloop charger for like $25.

When I used the ML Sovereign GT with 8 AA sized rechargeables it was a no go.
Even with full charged batteries the Sov wasn't running.
8x1.2 Vols = 9.6 Volts
So I started to use 10 AAA sized batteries and that worked.
The original rechargeable battery kit from ML also contains 10 cells
(but not AAA or AA sized).
10x1.2 Volts = 12 Volts
So if you're going to use something selfmade be sure to have 12 Volts.
Just my 2cent

Running 12 volts won't hurt it ? I'm playing with the idea of a battery clipped to my belt with a strong cord plugged into jack on the detector. I'm thinking it will give run time and take a little wight out of the detector. I'm not an electronic guy so I'm not sure if it would work right.

Digital electronics need a consistent and stable voltage (5 volts, 3.3 volts), but battery voltage drops, as it discharges. So, a voltage regulator is built into the circuitry, to provide the required voltage, and requires a higher voltage to work with. We tend to add about a 20% tolerance into circuits, when selecting components, as most tend to get hot, sometimes fail, when pushed to capacity. A few volts over, shouldn't be a problem, a basic linear 5 volt regulator (LM7805) can safely handle 18 volts. There are more efficient choices these days.

Rechargeable batteries are a good investment, but you needs to change some usage habits, if you want them to last a long time. Eneloop are low-self-discharge, which simply means they are more expensive, and hold their charge longer, when not used. If you use your detector, and charger your batteries, least once a month, no real advantage to paying the premium price. Depends on your hunting habits, if you go months between hunts, probably good choice though.

My hunts only last an hour or two, and get several between charges, which is where the detector tells me the batteries are about half discharged. It's not that I worry about the batteries dying in the middle of a hunt, it's that rechargeable batteries have a longer life, when kept charged. When you completely discharge them, they start to lose a little capacity, adds up over time. If you don't expect to use them for a while, make sure you fully charge them.

Battery chargers... Fast chargers are battery cookers and killers. The heat from the rapid charge, destroys the chemicals in most batteries. There are a few, which are suppose to handle the heat, but expensive, and not sure if it's true. Batteries are consumables, companies don't make much money, if you seldom have to buy replacements... You want to get a slow, smart charger. These test each battery individually, and monitor the charge, terminate when completed. Most of the chargers bundled with batteries, are simple, timer based, and will allow you to overcharge (heat), and shorten the lifespan of the batteries. You still get reasonable use, most people still think they are getting a good deal, new batteries every year, not know that they can get 7-8 years, or more, if they took good care of them. Yep, lot's of people buy batteries weekly, just to throw away, convenience. Changing batteries, charging batteries, lower capacity, takes a little time, but saves a ton of money in the long run.

PowerEX seem to be fine. You want a Smart Charger not a $13 charger.
The Lacross Alpha Power BC700 is what I bought along with the PowerEX 2700. With the charger you can run a break in and make sure the batteries actually will provide the 2700Mha they are rated at. All of mine are withing 20 so they are good to go. Used them for about 20 hours in my CM GT and they were not ready to be charged but I charged them anyway.
The envelopes are good as well, but they have discontinued the ones that were very good and I never did figure out which ones were the good ones now.

I got mine at radio shack. They last for days . I love them . Might be cheap as they are going out of business.

Thanks for the input. I seen 8x AA batteries and 4 spot charger on ebay for about $ 13.00. I'll look up the ones posted about.

The money you save is not worth the time and hassle to mess with the cheap Chinese knockoff stuff. Eneloops are probably best but if you aren't trying to do the "very best to start" route you can pickup some energizer or duracell batteries. Read and research on Amazon, there's a very helpful reviewer on batteries there. I believe amazon has a house brand rechargeable that are essentially relabeled eneloops as well.

Agree, Eneloops are awesome!!!
Have been using them in my AT Pro since I bought it. (Still using my first set (3 years))

I have been using " Tenergy Premium Nimh " for several years , now, with great success !! I buy these from that big " auction site ."

The money you save is not worth the time and hassle to mess with the cheap Chinese knockoff stuff. Eneloops are probably best but if you aren't trying to do the "very best to start" route you can pickup some energizer or duracell batteries. Read and research on Amazon, there's a very helpful reviewer on batteries there. I believe amazon has a house brand rechargeable that are essentially relabeled eneloops as well.

I'm going with the Eneloops. What model should I get ? It looks like they have a couple in size AA.

I have been using the powerex brand from batteries plus for the last 3 years. Still going strong and they last longer than regular duracells or energizers.

I'm a busy person with limited time to do a hobby. That's why I want to go with rechargeable batteries. I don't want to go out to swing to find out I have low batteries and have to stop.

Back
Top Bottom